Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven Bornfeld[_2_] Steven Bornfeld[_2_] is offline

Default Problem with cigarette smoke

On 3/6/2012 1:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Dear Dr. Bornfeld,
I've rather appreciated reading your posts on SMD. You are a polite
gentleman.
That said, I'm also allergic to tobacco. You and your wife had my
compassion.
As for sealing openings, cardboard and stapling might work, or plastic
sheet and duct tape like the Homeland Security guys mention.
There may be some way (reverse the bathroom vent fan so it blows in,
instead of out?) to pressurize your apartment. Push clean air through the
wall, instead of drawing smoke in. If you have exhaust fan, shut it off.
Open a window, to allow fresh air in.
Might want to see what your heating plant is. Maybe a HVAC person can
put in a fresh air intake, on the return side of the HVAC. Draw fresh air
in, and pressurize your side. Check also, see if your furnace is tied in
with their vent system, your furnace may be drawing from their side of the
building.
Palliative measures may include ibuprophen, bezocaine, Ozium air spray,
or Febreze air spray.
Please let us know what works.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Chris--

Thanks--some of your suggestions sound useful (esp. if there is a way
to really create a net positive pressure.
My wife is way past the ibuprophen phase.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com