Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with cigarette smoke

On 3/7/2012 6:30 AM, Norminn wrote:
On 3/6/2012 3:33 PM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Mar 6, 12:05 pm, Steven
wrote:
On 3/6/2012 1:00 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

You haven't discussed the roof of the building and whether there
is an
attic. And if so, is the common wall also closing off your attic from
the neighbor's attic? Do you have a vent fan that only vents to the
attic?

There is no attic. It's a flat rubber roof. All vents are through the
roof, except the laundry which vents to the back brick wall.

Use cans of spray foam to seal up the pipes.

We plan to do that (though our contractor seems to think it will take
too many cans--I think he suggested fiberglass insulation, though I'm
sure foam (is it polystyrene?) would seal far better.

Does your neighbor's kitchen share your wall?

I don't know. A few weeks ago my wife complained of a fishy smell, so
we may--and cooking odors may be a problem too. But the primary
problem
is the cigarette smoke.

IS the "concrete" wall actually concrete block? Is the concrete wall
painted? A heavy coat of paint will seal any cracks and voids in the
concrete. A poured wall in the 1940's may well have voids where the
concrete was hand mixed and then poured into the forms. The interface
between pours was not well mixed. We had a house built in 1948 with a
hand mixed and poured concrete basement. Walls clearly showed lack of
mixing and let water leak in.

Paul

I have no idea. When the wall was open, I saw no indication that it
was
concrete block, so I'm guessing it was poured concrete. Wow, I didn't
know they were still hand mixing concrete by the 1940s. We don't seem
to have any problems with external leaks (some of the internal
plumbing
leaked and had to be changed.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Mark& Steven Bornfeld DDShttp://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY

febreze to get rid of existing smell
we have successfully used bleach wiped on the non-porous surfaces and
gently sprayed on the porous ones.

positive air pressure
electronic air cleaner
seal between buildings

prognosis is not good. we live in rural area with a density of 1 hm
per several acres. 650 feet sw of us is obviously a heavy smoker. when
the wind shifts, swear it smells like being in a pool hall. no
mitigation for that at all. olfactory is sensitive to parts per
billion. found that inhaling a bit of antihistamine helps.

As with any allergy [like smelling cigarette smoke]; once triggered
stays for a long time, must then get exposure way down below level for
a long time to 'reset' sensitivity.

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD

You do, if you drive a car ;o)

Sorry pal, I've never sucked on a tailpipe and never intend to. ^_^

TDD

If you drive a car you are putting poison into the air ;o)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If I eat beans, I always wind up emitting greenhouse gasses. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 3:18 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 07:29:01 -0500,
wrote Re Problem with cigarette smoke:

Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a
faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the
time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can
smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same
obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood
burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.

Indeed. And they live in Brooklyn New York City. Have you ever been
in Brooklyn? The entire borough smells worse than cigarette smoke.

Darn, that explains it! My late mother grew up in Brooklyn. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if we can make tail pipe sucking a fad, and kill off a few
worthless eaters?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD

You do, if you drive a car ;o)

Sorry pal, I've never sucked on a tailpipe and never intend to. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen the smoke bombs also for sale at farm and garden places. Supposed
to get Mr. Woodchuck (groundhog) out of the hole. I've tried those, and also
highway road flares, but didn't see Chucky stick a nose out.

I've not heard of someone call the cops on a compressor swap. Makes sense,
though. I'm sure the van full of tools and the signage helped keep you out
of prison.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Light a few smoke bombs in your unit and when the neighbor comes running
over,
screaming, go see where the problems are. ;-)

Believe it or not, smoke bombs are sold at most HVAC supply houses.
Whenever I use one to check anything for air leaks, I always call the
fire department first and talk to a boss and see if he wants to have
a fire marshal on hand. There are times when it's advisable to contact
the 911 service through the non-emergency number and talk with a
supervisor before causing a public panic and something as simple as
notifying the neighbors is advisable to keep from freaking them out.
Heck, I had a little old lady across the street from a customer call
the police when I was doing a compressor swap. Of course I had the new
compressor in a box along with all the tools which is something a copper
thief will not have. I thanked the officer for looking out for
my customer and there was no problem. He even talked to the little old
lady neighbor and told her everything was OK. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wrong tail pipe.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Sorry pal, I've never sucked on a tailpipe and never intend to. ^_^

TDD

If you drive a car you are putting poison into the air ;o)

If I eat beans, I always wind up emitting greenhouse gasses. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am allegic to tobacco smoke and even people who have been around
smokers stink.

best to open all the adjacent spaces and closed cell foam everything
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:38:56 -0500, Norminn wrote:

On 3/7/2012 10:06 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
On 3/7/2012 9:00 AM, Hank wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:54 pm, The Daring
wrote:

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and most people refuse to believe
that I can tell if the car in front of me on the freeway contains a
smoker. That poison is like pepper spray to me. What kind of an idiot
purposely inhales the byproducts of combustion? o_O

TDD

I never heard of anybody dying from an allergy to cigarette smoke. I
couldn't find any link to that info. Got a link?

Hank

Neither have I, (though it seems strange at this late date to have to
prove that smoking is unhealthy).
A quick search turned up articles, mostly in journals that require
registration or subscription payment to view. Most focus on infants and
elderly. One dealt with contact dermatitis in response to cigarette smoke.
But the bigger problem (and the one that seems to be documented) deal
not with direct allergy, but exacerbation of illness in people who have
medical conditions (eg. triggering asthma attacks which may be
life-threatening, people with cardiopulmonary disease, etc.).
I sometimes start to feel sympathetic to smokers, who it seems these
days can't indulge their habit almost anywhere. But the rapidly
increasing body of evidence of health effects of second-hand smoke are
making this more than a simple situation of personal freedom.
I've certainly inhaled my share of second-hand smoke. My dad smoked
heavily for about 35 years. I remember getting carsick as a kid as he
smoked while driving. Although he is still living, he has lost a lobe of
his right lung to cancer.

Steve

I don't deny the hazards of smoking cigarettes, BUT...people
really,really obsess about it while they ignore entirely (and to their
peril) all the other s--- dumped in the air and water. There used to be
a website to look up the polluters by zip code and find out the type and
amount of pollutants they put out. A cozy fire in the fireplace will
kill someone, too.

Hyperbolic bull****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:26:13 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/7/2012 12:08 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 10:30:58 -0500, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:

On 3/6/2012 11:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Quit before you get to tooth brush sharing.

Comedy aside, that's a good list to check.

Comedy back on. Steve, ask the people next door to light a couple dozen
smoke bombs, so you can see where it's coming through. They won't mind.

Actually, if I knew the guy a little better I might even ask this.
It's nutty enough that it might actually work.

Light a few smoke bombs in your unit and when the neighbor comes running over,
screaming, go see where the problems are. ;-)

Believe it or not, smoke bombs are sold at most HVAC supply houses.
Whenever I use one to check anything for air leaks, I always call the
fire department first and talk to a boss and see if he wants to have
a fire marshal on hand. There are times when it's advisable to contact
the 911 service through the non-emergency number and talk with a
supervisor before causing a public panic and something as simple as
notifying the neighbors is advisable to keep from freaking them out.

Killjoy.

Heck, I had a little old lady across the street from a customer call
the police when I was doing a compressor swap. Of course I had the new
compressor in a box along with all the tools which is something a copper
thief will not have. I thanked the officer for looking out for
my customer and there was no problem. He even talked to the little old
lady neighbor and told her everything was OK. ^_^

So, how much did you get for the engine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 12:10 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:26:13 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

What did I get for the engine? It would strike me as odd except I had a
customer from Lebanon who called the compressors at his restaurant,
engines. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2012 6:38 PM, Norminn wrote:
On 3/7/2012 10:06 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
On 3/7/2012 9:00 AM, Hank wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:54 pm, The Daring
wrote:

[...]

I don't know what "people" you're talking to--but they must be
different people.
It is probably true that radon, probably the second most important
cause of lung cancer isn't given the attention it deserves (in most
parts of the country). Otherwise air quality has improved markedly over
the years--probably on account of we don't manufacture much anymore--and
restrictions on coal.
Water is another story, of course, though the adoption of unleaded
gasoline improved things for some.
But I'm not giving smokers a free pass here, and while I have some
sympathy to all addicts, it doesn't grant a license to assault others.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2012 4:18 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 07:29:01 -0500,
wrote Re Problem with cigarette smoke:

Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a
faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the
time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can
smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same
obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood
burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.

Indeed. And they live in Brooklyn New York City. Have you ever been
in Brooklyn? The entire borough smells worse than cigarette smoke.

Not anymore. When I was in high school when I left the subway in Fort
Greene there was the combined odor of a nearby slaughterhouse mixed with
a nearby electrical plant, which I believe was still coal-fired.
There isn't much industry here anymore, and unless you're on the BQE
most areas are OK.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:08:41 -0500, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:

We just moved into our new home after over 7 months of renovations. The
problem is cigarette smoke from one of our neighbors.
This is an attached house, with a party wall (concrete). (attached on
the other side too, separate construction, not a problem.
When the walls were open, I was not aware of any plumbing coming

The simple solution is to start smoking. If you smokw, you wont notice
it.

Do you have separate furnaces or do both places share the same forced
air heating system?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:25:53 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 3/8/2012 12:10 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:26:13 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Come on, don't tell us you were just stealing the compressor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

anyones right to smoke should end totally if anyone else complains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 18:35:36 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

anyones right to smoke should end totally if anyone else complains.

I was going to ask, "are you always this stupid?", but then I looked at who
wrote it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 9:54*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 18:35:36 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:
anyones right to smoke should end totally if anyone else complains.

I was going to ask, "are you always this stupid?", but then I looked at who
wrote it.

hey no one should have the right to mpollute anyone elses breathing
air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

smoking around a child should be called what it is, child
abuse..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:58:13 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:54*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 18:35:36 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:
anyones right to smoke should end totally if anyone else complains.

I was going to ask, "are you always this stupid?", but then I looked at who
wrote it.

hey no one should have the right to mpollute anyone elses breathing
air.

Did you attempt to say something intelligent? You failed. Again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:59:15 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

smoking around a child should be called what it is, child
abuse..........

You *really* are stupid. ...and illiterate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 3:59*am, bob haller wrote:
smoking around a child should be called what it is, child
abuse..........

What age is it not child abuse?

I was raised in a "smoking" enviroment. I am 64.

Hank ~~~~ only the strong survive :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 12:25*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:59:15 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:
smoking around a child should be called what it is, child
abuse..........

You *really* are stupid. *...and illiterate.

obviously to smoke has muddled your mind...........

in pennsylvania foster parents arent permitted to smoke anywhere near
the kids they care for.

this is a excellent first step to criminilze smoking around kids.

seconhand smoke can cause lots of troubles for children including ear
infections and breathing problems.

even the smoke left on parents clothes can make kids ill......

face facts smoking is on its way out, its dying; just like smoking
kills its users
Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents smoked. I had a lot of ear infections. One got untreated too
long, and damaged my hearing. I've been wearing hearing aids since age 6.
And will do so for the rest of my life.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

seconhand smoke can cause lots of troubles for children including ear
infections and breathing problems.

even the smoke left on parents clothes can make kids ill......

face facts smoking is on its way out, its dying; just like smoking
kills its users

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:15:41 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

On Mar 9, 12:25*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 00:59:15 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:
smoking around a child should be called what it is, child
abuse..........

You *really* are stupid. *...and illiterate.

obviously to smoke has muddled your mind...........

No, just pointing out that you're an illiterate fool.

in pennsylvania foster parents arent permitted to smoke anywhere near
the kids they care for.

Who cares? This has nothing to do with the post you answered, showing, once
again, that you can't read.

this is a excellent first step to criminilze smoking around kids.

Idiot.

seconhand smoke can cause lots of troubles for children including ear
infections and breathing problems.

even the smoke left on parents clothes can make kids ill......

face facts smoking is on its way out, its dying; just like smoking
kills its users

What a moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 16:57:02 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My parents smoked. I had a lot of ear infections. One got untreated too
long, and damaged my hearing. I've been wearing hearing aids since age 6.
And will do so for the rest of my life.

My parents didn't smoke. I had a lot of ear infections. I've had some pretty
damned severe cases too. I didn't smoke. Guess what. My son had *severe*
ear infections, bad enough that I had to really put my foot down or they were
going to install "tubes". Go figure.

Not sure why we're answering Halliburton's nutcase post, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 4:57*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My parents smoked. I had a lot of ear infections. One got untreated too
long, and damaged my hearing. I've been wearing hearing aids since age 6.
And will do so for the rest of my life.

Christopher A. Young

Believe what you want to believe, but it sounds like your parents
didn't take you to the doc soon enough. Even if it were from cig smoke
( which is doubtful), it is ultimately your parents fault (according
to your statement above). They should be jailed for child abuse.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

You reccomend incarceration based on the minimal evidence of a Usenet post?
I sure hope you're not a magistrate. Nor, a doctor.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:
My parents smoked. I had a lot of ear infections. One got untreated too
long, and damaged my hearing. I've been wearing hearing aids since age 6.
And will do so for the rest of my life.

Christopher A. Young

Believe what you want to believe, but it sounds like your parents
didn't take you to the doc soon enough. Even if it were from cig smoke
( which is doubtful), it is ultimately your parents fault (according
to your statement above). They should be jailed for child abuse.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

yes anyone who smokes today is both a idiot and a moron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:54:46 -0800 (PST), bob haller wrote:

wrote:
[...]

We can agree on that much, but you seem to believe that people don't have the
right to be an idiot. Unfortunately, that puts you in the position of wanting
yourself jailed. Maybe...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 10:54*am, bob haller wrote:

yes anyone who smokes today is both a idiot and a moron

Did you ever have sex without a condom?
Did you ever have a drink, or prescription drug, and drive?
It's hard to believe you never did anything stupid, idiotic or
moronic.

It must be nice to be perfect. I'm happy you have no vices, you don't
know what you're missing. :-)

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 10:11*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You reccomend incarceration based on the minimal evidence of a Usenet post?
I sure hope you're not a magistrate. Nor, a doctor.

Christopher A. Young

First, I was basing my conclusion on your testimony since you are the
one bitching about the cause of your hearing disability.

Second, why do you "top post"?

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 18:42:27 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

On Mar 6, 9:11Â*pm, Norminn wrote:
On 3/6/2012 5:25 PM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:

On 3/6/2012 2:11 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 3/6/2012 9:08 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
I write in hope of some serious answers. I know this general issue
has come up before, and wading through the incredulous and the trolls
doing a search yields nothing that seems likely to work. Maybe there
is nothing; if not, so be it.
We just moved into our new home after over 7 months of renovations.
The problem is cigarette smoke from one of our neighbors.
This is an attached house, with a party wall (concrete). (attached on
the other side too, separate construction, not a problem.
When the walls were open, I was not aware of any plumbing coming
directly from the smoking neighbor. There are cabinets mounted in our
kitchen on the party wall. Holes were cut in the cabinet backs to
accommodate some drainage and steam pipes (ours), and there is an
opening around our plumbing which we will seal off. We don't know
what might be the best way to do this, and I have no idea if it will
work (though the cigarette smoke is strongest in these cabinets.
This does appear to be coming through the walls--somehow, and not
through vents to the outside. This is old construction (c. 1940).
There is no question that there is cigarette smoke. It's not nearly
as big a problem for me (my sense of smell was never the same since
organic chemistry), but my wife is very upset.
I'm quite sure I have no legal recourse, and in any case wouldn't
expect my neighbor to modify his smoking on my behalf. Really just
interested to know if anyone has dealt with some mechanical means of
dealing with this problem that was effective.

TIA,
cut
To start with, produce some positive pressure in your
home, to stop the polluted air from coming into the house.
A ventilator sucking outside air would do that.

Several people have mentioned this, and it makes sense. Especially given
the (non) winter we've had here.

Thanks,
Steve

One simple measure that comes to mind is weatherstripping around
doors...are entrances close to each other, such that your exhaust fan
could pull air from their residence that way?

Probably best to open the common wall inspect for holes which could
provide a fire path, and spray foam everything with closed cell foam.
this would cut your heating bills too. R6.4 per inch

Will only help heating bills if the other side of the house is
unheated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 23:48:26 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've found that in buildings that had smokers in the past, the smokers film
on the wall and ceiling remains pretty much forever. What works for me, is
to mix up Pine Sol and hot water, and scrub the walls and ceiling with a
sponge mop. I've also used Amway Zoom (the blue window cleaner) on the TV
that came from my grand mother's apartment. Simple Green will probably do
fine, if you choose.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .

Since you can't smell it, I'd try to confirm there is actually a
smell. You wife's smell might be off.
If she's a rabid anti-smoker, just seeing somebody smoking downwind
and 100 yards away can cause her to smell cigarette smoke,
You got good advice except for that omission.
I'd go for positive pressure first.
If that doesn't do it, the smell is old stuff that hasn't been sealed.
Or in her olfactory imagination.

--Vic

Surface smoke residue in a house can be removed with cleansers, but to
totally eliminate smoke smell permanently you almost have to seal the
surface with something like Kilz, and then repaint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:49:55 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Many people are allergic to tobacco, but wood smoke is OK. I am one such.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Likewise. And I'd like cites on the "wood smoke contains more
carcinogens than second hand smoke" claim.
.

"Norminn" wrote in message
om...

Entirely possible by the OP's description....being "very upset" at a
faint odor of smoke leans toward obsession. I smell smoke most of the
time, in the evening....neighborhood fireplace?....nobody else here can
smell it. I understand folks who hate cig. smoke, but why not the same
obsession about fireplaces, wood stoves and indust. pollution? Wood
burning gives off more carcinogens than 2nd hand cig. smoke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/7/2012 10:06 AM, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
On 3/7/2012 9:00 AM, Hank wrote:
On Mar 6, 10:54 pm, The Daring
wrote:

[...]

I can sit by a fire - open campfire of fireplace, with no problems at
all, and I like the smell of woodsmoke from a fire on a cool night -
but a whiff of tobacco smoke - particularly from a Menthol cigarette,
and I develop breathing problems almost immediately.
Just got back from a week in Austria and 2 weeks on an Italian cruise
liner and it'll take a few weeks to get back to normal breathing. And
for me, antihistamines DO help - to an extent, so I think it is safe
to call it an "allergy" and not just sensitivity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:55:26 -0500, Norminn

wrote:
[...]

Unless you are driving a Subaru PZev in the LA basin - where the
exhaust is actually CLEANER than the intake air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Many people are allergic to tobacco, but wood smoke is OK. I am one such.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Likewise. And I'd like cites on the "wood smoke contains more
carcinogens than second hand smoke" claim.

How many people do you know who are stupid enough to purposely inhale
large amounts of wood smoke? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am having a similar issue. I'd love to know if you had any success in remedying your problem. If so, what was successful for you?