Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven Bornfeld[_2_] Steven Bornfeld[_2_] is offline

Default Problem with cigarette smoke

On 3/7/2012 12:04 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in news:
:

Han wrote:

Ozone is a strong oxidant, and a gas. That's how it destroys odors,
and also why it is an irritant, especially for the lungs. If your
wifeis allergic to cigarette smoke, ozone might NOT be very good for
her, unless the ozone is left to react with the smoke and then
immediately exhausted.

It's not necessary to exhaust ozone. It decomposes into plain oxygen in
minutes.

Since it is a toxic oxidant and irritant, AND because his wife is rather
sensitive to air borne irritants, I'd strongly suggest he doesn't let it
accumulate AT ALL in his house.

Also, minutes may not be fast enough (I am used to dealing with
biological compounds that decompose in seconds, but I do know from
experience how strong their actions can be). You remember my rants about
prostaglandins, thromboxane and aspirin.

Sorry I wasn't around for the rant. I confess I had to google
"thromboxane"--my knowledge of clotting and coagulation mechanisms is
woefully out of date. My brother is starting a pharma course from MIT
open courseware--he's just purchased a bunch of pharma texts (and one on
craniofacial syndromes--just for fun.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS