Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day..."

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Silly! Star of David, and then the rich bankers can get all the money.

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become Mormons!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you ever find such a Mormon, please have him (her) go back and research
the matter again. I've been LDS for twenty years, and never thought I was
Jewish.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Silly! Star of David, and then the rich bankers can get all the money.

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become Mormons!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2012 8:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Silly! Star of David, and then the rich bankers can get all the money.

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become Mormons!

and the best part is that they are both wrong. LMAO!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you ever find such a Mormon, please have him (her) go back and
research the matter again. I've been LDS for twenty years, and never
thought I was Jewish.

Joseph Smith was fascinated by Judiasm, so much so he learned to read
Hebrew. He sent one of his saints to Israel to bless the Mount of Olives and
his respect and love for the people Israel permeated his practices. Some
even believe he had Jewish ancestors. And of course there is the controversy
of baptising 6 million Holocaust victims, by proxy, into the Mormon fold.

As for you not being Jewish, well, we can't ALL be lucky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:52:48 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you ever find such a Mormon, please have him (her) go back and
research the matter again. I've been LDS for twenty years, and never
thought I was Jewish.

Joseph Smith was fascinated by Judiasm, so much so he learned to read
Hebrew. He sent one of his saints to Israel to bless the Mount of Olives and
his respect and love for the people Israel permeated his practices. Some
even believe he had Jewish ancestors. And of course there is the controversy
of baptising 6 million Holocaust victims, by proxy, into the Mormon fold.

As for you not being Jewish, well, we can't ALL be lucky.

Save the Methodist? The early Puritans? Oh, I have to mention the
Baptists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's not to be lucky? Oy!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Joseph Smith was fascinated by Judiasm, so much so he learned to read
Hebrew. He sent one of his saints to Israel to bless the Mount of Olives and
his respect and love for the people Israel permeated his practices. Some
even believe he had Jewish ancestors. And of course there is the controversy
of baptising 6 million Holocaust victims, by proxy, into the Mormon fold.

As for you not being Jewish, well, we can't ALL be lucky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Save the whales! Or the Christians?

Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message

As for you not being Jewish, well, we can't ALL be lucky.

Save the Methodist? The early Puritans? Oh, I have to mention the
Baptists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 13:00:41 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've been LDS for twenty years, and never thought I was
Jewish.

So there is a slight possibility that you would be Mohawk Indian?

Damn sure ain't Cherokee!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "If Fred Beat His Meat Twice Per Day..."

On 1/10/2012 1:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become Mormons!

You should recruit from God's largest and most profitable franchise, the
catholic church.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts
it.

Interesting. There are many punishments for "original sin." Women must bear
pain in childbirth, man must earn his daily bread by the sweat of his brow,
and more. Yet the one punishment that is NOT mentioned, damnation to Hell,
can be forgiven by those who believe.

As I said, interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Woody wrote:
On 1/10/2012 1:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become
Mormons!

You should recruit from God's largest and most profitable franchise,
the catholic church.

They do. I dated a gal once whose sister and brother-in-law were Baptist
missionaries. During a holiday get-together, the following conversation
ensued:

Me: "You're a professional missionary, right?"

BIL: "Correct."

Me: "I mean you're not passing out tracts on the street corner, you get a
monthly paycheck from the Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist
Convention?"

BIL: "Right."

Me: "So why are you missionaries to MEXICO? That has to be the most
Christian country on the planet! Why not Pago-Pago or somewhere where you
get a bigger return in souls for each buck expended?"

BIL: "The Catholics in Mexico are not Christians. They are Aztec with some
of the trappings of the Church. They're really PAGANS!"

Me: "Oh."

Posted to alt.home.repair

My ancestry goes back to Germany adn England.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

I've been LDS for twenty years, and never thought I was
Jewish.

So there is a slight possibility that you would be Mohawk Indian?

Damn sure ain't Cherokee!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Who didn't mention damnation? LDS folks don't give it a lot of press like
other Chrsistian denominations. But, it's taught.

Did you mean "forgiven FOR those who believe". Not BY? Jesus and God are the
ones who forgive.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Interesting. There are many punishments for "original sin." Women must bear
pain in childbirth, man must earn his daily bread by the sweat of his brow,
and more. Yet the one punishment that is NOT mentioned, damnation to Hell,
can be forgiven by those who believe.

As I said, interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Amazing, the things I learn on this list.

Next. someone will say Mormons aren't Christian.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Jews have done at least a few things right. I'm glad he was interested
in their history and teachings. Yes, I've heard this in lessons, that he
studies the Jews extensively.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Joseph Smith was fascinated by Judiasm, so much so he learned to read
Hebrew. He sent one of his saints to Israel to bless the Mount of Olives and
his respect and love for the people Israel permeated his practices. Some
even believe he had Jewish ancestors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it.

There is no salvation for top posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Who didn't mention damnation? LDS folks don't give it a lot of press
like other Chrsistian denominations. But, it's taught.

Did you mean "forgiven FOR those who believe". Not BY? Jesus and God
are the ones who forgive.

Thanks for the correction.

As for being "forgiven," you're the one who brought it up:

"Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amazing, the things I learn on this list.

Next. someone will say Mormons aren't Christian.

Not me. I don't care.

My tradition teaches that what God wants is righteous conduct, not a
particular belief system. That said, one can be a righteous Baptist or a
righteous Buddhist, certainly a righteous Mormon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bottom posters are going to the bottom / down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it.

There is no salvation for top posters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, it's an easy slio of the fingers, and easy to due.

Now, we need to discuss what is salvation. I've stored on disk a post which
discusses six def'n of the word "saved". Means different things to different
people. Amazing, that we can communicate at all, when words mean such
different things. You've likely seen the email that makes the rounds, how
the English and American military can't communicate. Like on aircraft
carrier, if an American plane is down, it's broken. English plane is down,
it's under deck, in storage.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Did you mean "forgiven FOR those who believe".

Thanks for the correction.

As for being "forgiven," you're the one who brought it up:

"Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amazing, the things I learn on this list.

Next. someone will say Mormons aren't Christian.

Not me. I don't care.

My tradition teaches that what God wants is righteous conduct, not a
particular belief system. That said, one can be a righteous Baptist or a
righteous Buddhist, certainly a righteous Mormon.

Yup
That's one of those minor, yet oh so important detail, that so many who
hew to one particular religion seem to forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "If Fred prayed Twice Per Day..."

I respect your traditions. But, tradition isn't enough. Needs to have power,
too. Jesus was heard to say "I am the way and teh truth and the life, no man
cometh unto th father but through me" and I do belive that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in message

My tradition teaches that what God wants is righteous conduct, not a
particular belief system. That said, one can be a righteous Baptist or a
righteous Buddhist, certainly a righteous Mormon.

Yup
That's one of those minor, yet oh so important detail, that so many who
hew to one particular religion seem to forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Hey, it's an easy slio of the fingers, and easy to due.

Now, we need to discuss what is salvation. I've stored on disk a post
which discusses six def'n of the word "saved". Means different things
to different people. Amazing, that we can communicate at all, when
words mean such different things. You've likely seen the email that
makes the rounds, how the English and American military can't
communicate. Like on aircraft carrier, if an American plane is down,
it's broken. English plane is down, it's under deck, in storage.

I agree. Consider the word "prophet." In the Jewish world, a prophet
(sometimes spelled "profit") is one who predicts what might happen. Further,
all prophecy is conditional - it may or may not happen. The prime example of
this is when a whale burped up a bleached Johnah who prophesied "Repent, or
in forty days... I don't even want to think about it!" The people of Nineveh
straightened up and everybody lived happily ever after.

In the Christian tradition, a prophet is a soothsayer, one who asserts that
a future event will take place and all your king's horses and all your
king's men can't do anything about it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I respect your traditions. But, tradition isn't enough. Needs to have
power, too. Jesus was heard to say "I am the way and teh truth and
the life, no man cometh unto th father but through me" and I do
belive that.

I didn't say tradition was enough. I emphasized righteous conduct. The sages
teach there are four things on which the human mind should not dwell: What
came before, what comes after, what is above, and what is below. The reason
behind this admonishment is simple: we can't do anything about any one of
them. The streets of heaven may be paved with gold. Or mud. Whatever they're
paved with, that's God's province, not mine.

But we can make this a better world. Today. If you're hungry, I can make you
a sandwich. If you're tired, I have a spare couch.

I ask you, how much closer would we be today toward a cure for cancer, or
world peace, or ignoring Lady GaGa, if some really great thinkers of the
past had not frittered away much of their intellect on questions such as
"How many angles can dance on the head of a pin?"

As for your quotation, Jesus may have been mistaken, exaggerating,
mistranslated, or simply misquoted by the anonymous author of the Book of
John. Don't forget, the Book of John was written about AD 90 and was
certainly not a contemporaneous account (it was, probably, a redaction of an
oral tradition - there's that word again).

Aside:
You've heard of Occam's Razor? It's the notion that of two competing
explanations, the simpler is more likely to be preferred. Interestingly, in
Biblical exegesis, the more COMPLICATED of two possibilities is more likely
the truth or the earlier rendition. Quite simple to explain: A copyist
looking at a passage says to himself: "Nobody will understand this. I'll
just simplify it." And there we have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd have to do some research, but I'm fairly sure at leat a couple of the
Christian prophets have given the "repent or suffer" command. I've got a
fuzzy memory of the Utah saints having dry weather. The prophet revealed if
they paid an honest tithing, the Lord would bring rain.

That kind of thing. Has to be at least one or two others I can't remember
off hand.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I agree. Consider the word "prophet." In the Jewish world, a prophet
(sometimes spelled "profit") is one who predicts what might happen. Further,
all prophecy is conditional - it may or may not happen. The prime example of
this is when a whale burped up a bleached Johnah who prophesied "Repent, or
in forty days... I don't even want to think about it!" The people of Nineveh
straightened up and everybody lived happily ever after.

In the Christian tradition, a prophet is a soothsayer, one who asserts that
a future event will take place and all your king's horses and all your
king's men can't do anything about it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember at the time thinking that I should send him an invoice, and a bon
voyage card. I wasn't all that impressed with his squeeze for money.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

there was the oral roberts fiasco. Send your dollars to me, or God will
call me home. and the robots sent the money. What better proof would
there have been , than if he would have died?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Woody" wrote in message
On 1/10/2012 1:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become
Mormons!

You should recruit from God's largest and most profitable franchise, the
catholic church.

NOT true. The Mormon church (?) and its holdings make the Catholics look
like a bunch of streetcorner panhandlers.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amazing, the things I learn on this list.

Next. someone will say Mormons aren't Christian.

Not to worry. Logic and truth tell us that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:40:37 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Amazing, the things I learn on this list.

Next. someone will say Mormons aren't Christian.

Not to worry. Logic and truth tell us that.

Steve

Mormons are top posters..... this is not a "list". It's Usenet!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd have to do some research, but I'm fairly sure at leat a couple of
the Christian prophets have given the "repent or suffer" command.
I've got a fuzzy memory of the Utah saints having dry weather. The
prophet revealed if they paid an honest tithing, the Lord would bring
rain.

Uh, I don't think there were any Christian Prophets, save the Book of
Revelation. But that Book is so wacky, it's contents could mean almost
anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message
On 1/10/2012 1:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become
Mormons!

You should recruit from God's largest and most profitable franchise,
the catholic church.

NOT true. The Mormon church (?) and its holdings make the Catholics
look like a bunch of streetcorner panhandlers.

Heh! There are more Catholics in Mexico City than Mormons who have ever
lived (same with Southern Baptists). Often, when people sit in the pews of a
5,000 member church, all singing from the same page in the hymnal, they
develop a somewhat parochial view of the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 4:38 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On 1/10/2012 1:00 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazing. Mormons think they are Jewish and want all Jews to become
Mormons!

You should recruit from God's largest and most profitable franchise,
the catholic church.

NOT true. The Mormon church (?) and its holdings make the Catholics
look like a bunch of streetcorner panhandlers.

Heh! There are more Catholics in Mexico City than Mormons who have ever
lived (same with Southern Baptists). Often, when people sit in the pews of a
5,000 member church, all singing from the same page in the hymnal, they
develop a somewhat parochial view of the world.

As a small boy, I survive a Catholic Parochial Gulag. I have no fear of
terrorists because Irish nuns were brought in when I was in the second
grade so nothing scares me except for this odd dread of albino penguins
I can't seem to shake off. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 04:52:16 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Who didn't mention damnation? LDS folks don't give it a lot of press
like other Chrsistian denominations. But, it's taught.

Did you mean "forgiven FOR those who believe". Not BY? Jesus and God
are the ones who forgive.

Thanks for the correction.

As for being "forgiven," you're the one who brought it up:

"Salvation is for anyone who desires it, and can find it, and accepts it."

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 5:24*pm, Oren wrote:

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". *Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

Posted to alt.home.repair

As a small boy, I survive a Catholic Parochial Gulag. I have no fear of
terrorists because Irish nuns were brought in when I was in the second
grade so nothing scares me except for this odd dread of albino penguins
I can't seem to shake off. o_O

TDD

Do you think the nuns were so ornery because they seldom (if ever) got laid?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:45:33 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Jan 11, 5:24*pm, Oren wrote:

Makes me think of something called a "fox-hole prayer". *Jesus get me
out of this mess. The faster the better, please. I'll be good
tomorrow!

Any prayer, anywhere, does someone good...not necessarily the one
who's praying!

Be careful for what you pray for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 7:21 PM, Woody wrote:

As a small boy, I survive a Catholic Parochial Gulag. I have no fear of
terrorists because Irish nuns were brought in when I was in the second
grade so nothing scares me except for this odd dread of albino penguins
I can't seem to shake off. o_O

TDD

Do you think the nuns were so ornery because they seldom (if ever) got
laid?

It was back in the middle of the last century when child rearing was
based on keeping children in constant terror. My first grade teacher
was an American nun and even more ornery and I had another female
teacher who was not a nun, just as mean. It was a different era before
Political Correctness and The Dumbassification of America became part
of the educational system. When I was in college, I do remember hearing
that those loony Irish nuns, who tormented me so, left the order and one
of them wound up marrying one of the priests who also resigned from the
priesthood. Any kids they may have had would be in their 50's now. I
sort of wonder how screwed up their offspring may be or if they were
able to recover after many years like I did except for the weird tic
and other involuntary movements that plague me? The nightmares with
giant albino penguins chasing me stopped when I was about 30. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "If Fred Beat the parochial boys with a rod Twice Per Day..."

Does the sight of a priest give you rectal sphincter pucker?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

As a small boy, I survive a Catholic Parochial Gulag. I have no fear of
terrorists because Irish nuns were brought in when I was in the second
grade so nothing scares me except for this odd dread of albino penguins
I can't seem to shake off. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "If Fred Beat a nun up Twice Per Day..."

Of course, that reminds me of the joke of why Richard Nixon looked so glum.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..