Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

I talked to an appliance repair lady who thinks the economy
is picking up.

I think she said that when it's really dead, people do wtihout.
If the laundry is broken, they take wet clothes to the laundro-
mat to dry, or wash them and take em home wet.

Moderate economy, people repair stuff. (home repair).

Good economy, people buy new.

I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.
Me, I think the economy is still bad. Not many people
repairing. I talked to a contractor (retired), yesterday.
He says the economy is so bad, that builders have gone
into remodelling, to keep the cash flow.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 10:20*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.

There will always be people that do well in a down economy, and people
that struggle in a good economy. It's the overall picture that counts,
not just that of one person.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.

There will always be people that do well in a down economy, and people
that struggle in a good economy. It's the overall picture that counts,
not just that of one person.

Well, to make Stormin's small picture even smaller, I think he struggles
tying his shoes in the morning.
Not that he doesn't finally do a good job, just that it takes him quite a
while....
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 1/5/2012 9:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I talked to an appliance repair lady who thinks the economy
is picking up.

I think she said that when it's really dead, people do wtihout.
If the laundry is broken, they take wet clothes to the laundro-
mat to dry, or wash them and take em home wet.

Moderate economy, people repair stuff. (home repair).

Good economy, people buy new.

I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.
Me, I think the economy is still bad. Not many people
repairing. I talked to a contractor (retired), yesterday.
He says the economy is so bad, that builders have gone
into remodelling, to keep the cash flow.

The contents of pawn shops are another good economic indicator. ^_^

YET, college enrollment sets new records every year. WTF????

Don't know how the stats are compiled tho -- if they include ivy,
public/private, on-line, and these dinky for-profit ripoffs that
proliferate/advertise all over.

If the stats are "legit", I find this surprising. They say unemployed
people "go back to school", but I wonder if that's really true or part of
the current stats. visavis "retraining".
I'd like the stats on high-schoolers going to legit 4 year schools, and sep
stats for junior colleges. And trade schools.

Personally, I think 4 year colleges are highly over-rated, except as the
"entre" they provide for having that piece of paper -- whose value varies
tremendously with the school, ivy obviously being the better entre.

But still, something of a benchmark, for, well, something.....
--
EA

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

google student loan, you can borrow your way through higher education
and then borrow more for graduate degrees. But it's expected to be paid
back..... with interest.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 5, 4:15*pm, "Mr. Austerity" "PrintMo.Money " wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

back..... with interest.- Hide quoted text -

new jobs pay far less........

source evening news
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I talked to an appliance repair lady who thinks the economy
is picking up.

I think she said that when it's really dead, people do wtihout.
If the laundry is broken, they take wet clothes to the laundro-
mat to dry, or wash them and take em home wet.

Moderate economy, people repair stuff. (home repair).

Good economy, people buy new....

I am seeing signs the economy is improving.

But better yet I read that factory orders in China are dropping! I
would guess that people are fed up with buying crap which does not
work out of the box, does not work for very long, does not work as it
should, or is dangerous (toxic, electrical and can cause a fire,
etc.).

Anyway if anyone out there does any retail sales, try setting up a
"Not Made in China" section and see what that does for your sales!

From the following link...

"...after contaminated products from China ended up on supermarket
shelves. Suddenly, "Not Made in China" has become a major selling
point. DSM's Quali-C brand is flying out of its Scottish factory at
more than double the price for bulk Vitamin C..."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1/b4044060.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

YET, college enrollment sets new records every year. WTF????

Don't know how the stats are compiled tho -- if they include ivy,
public/private, on-line, and these dinky for-profit ripoffs that
proliferate/advertise all over.

Well, some dinky for-profit (i.e., not a government school) don't reall
advertise. I'm thinking of Harvard, William & Mary, etc.

If the stats are "legit", I find this surprising. They say unemployed
people "go back to school", but I wonder if that's really true or
part of the current stats. visavis "retraining".
I'd like the stats on high-schoolers going to legit 4 year schools,
and sep stats for junior colleges. And trade schools.

The University of Houston ranks number two in the state in the number of
warm bodies enrolled. It ranks about ninth in the number of classroom hours
of instruction inasmuch as over half its student body attends class at
night.

Personally, I think 4 year colleges are highly over-rated, except as
the "entre" they provide for having that piece of paper -- whose
value varies tremendously with the school, ivy obviously being the
better entre.

Would you "entre" someone who has a degree in Black or Women's Studies,
History of Pellopenesia, Non-Traditional Religions, Gay Literature Studies,
Elementary Education, and similar? I wouldn't even hire someone whose name
was Chlamydia.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 7:20*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I talked to an appliance repair lady who thinks the economy
is picking up.

I think she said that when it's really dead, people do wtihout.
If the laundry is broken, they take wet clothes to the laundro-
mat to dry, or wash them and take em home wet.

Moderate economy, people repair stuff. (home repair).

Good economy, people buy new.

I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.
Me, I think the economy is still bad. Not many people
repairing. I talked to a contractor (retired), yesterday.
He says the economy is so bad, that builders have gone
into remodelling, to keep the cash flow.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I was in Europe recently when the family I was staying with called the
TV repairman to repair the TV. The guy took one look at the TV then
proceeded to open it up. He then took out a bag full of parts that he
had cut out from circuit boards of old electronic appliances. He found
a capacitor and proceeded to replace a capacitor on one of the circuit
board of the TV. He closed up the TV and turned it back on. The TV
worked great. I asked him how he knew that it was that particular
capacitor that was bad without having to test even a single one. He
said that that model of TV was designed with that specific capacitor
that was too weak that tended to burn out. I asked him how he managed
to get a hold of the electronic schematic to know that it in the first
place. He said he got it from the manufacturer which is a major
European TV maker. He only charged what came to less than twenty
American dollars for the whole thing. Here in the US they would want
to replace the entire circuit board which would have to be special
ordered that’s assuming the manufacturer had it and was willing to
sell it and as for the electronic schematic, the manufacturer would
refuse to provide it. With the labor and material cost together you
would be better off buying a new TV.
The moral of the story is: We’re getting screwed here in the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I talked to an appliance repair lady who thinks the economy
is picking up.

I think she said that when it's really dead, people do wtihout.
If the laundry is broken, they take wet clothes to the laundro-
mat to dry, or wash them and take em home wet.

Moderate economy, people repair stuff. (home repair).

Good economy, people buy new.

I'm not sure where we are, now, but I'm really struggling.
Me, I think the economy is still bad. Not many people
repairing. I talked to a contractor (retired), yesterday.
He says the economy is so bad, that builders have gone
into remodelling, to keep the cash flow.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

The ecomomy is recovering. Unemployment is down. New private sector jobs are up
significantly. Car sales are up. Republicans are pulling their hair out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

I am seeing signs the economy is improving.

But better yet I read that factory orders in China are dropping! I
would guess that people are fed up with buying crap which does not
work out of the box, does not work for very long, does not work as it
should, or is dangerous (toxic, electrical and can cause a fire,
etc.).

Anyway if anyone out there does any retail sales, try setting up a
"Not Made in China" section and see what that does for your sales!

From the following link...

"...after contaminated products from China ended up on supermarket
shelves. Suddenly, "Not Made in China" has become a major selling
point. DSM's Quali-C brand is flying out of its Scottish factory at
more than double the price for bulk Vitamin C..."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1/b4044060.htm

The article is dated July 30, 2007. I'm guessing the average consumer
has forgotten all about contaminated pet food by now, particularly in
light of economic developments since then.

However, for my 2 cents, the economy is recovering.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

Do you trust Affirmative Action college degrees? I've tried to carry on
an intelligent conversation with some recent college graduates and it's
quite evident that they only understand about every other word I say and
I'm not trying to use a very advanced vocabulary with them. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Nonsense, I recently repaired two large ViewSonic computer monitors for
a commercial customer by replacing the common defective electrolytic
capacitors in the power supplies of them both with higher voltage parts.
The bill was certainly higher than $20.00 but much less than replacing
the monitors with new ones which would break the same way after a short
period of time. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The moral of the story is: We’re getting screwed here in the US.- Hide quoted text -

Well that was pretty untypical I can tell you.
We get screwed over here too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 6, 4:59*am, wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:39:17 -0800 (PST), Molly Brown

wrote:
[...]

I don't think that was a case of being designed to fail. It was simply
not being designed not to fail. Some engineer was micro engineering
everything to be exactly as strong as it had to be and he guessed
wrong on this particular part. If you save a nickel on a part and you
make a million units that is $50,000 directly to your bottom line and
there are a lot of nickel parts in a TV.
I was in the computer fixing biz for 30 years and we usually ended up
replacing the same part on the same machine type over and over until
someone came out with an engineering change and put in a better part
that cost about a nickel more. At a certain point we were at Radio
shack buying the part and doing our own ECs if we got tired of
waiting. If it was rated at 50v, put in a 100v or 300v part. That
usually made the problem go away.- Hide quoted text -

True. I repaired washing machines years ago,same problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 5:45*am, The Daring Dufas

"The Daring *wrote in message
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

We have a degree in "media studies" (ie TV) over here.
Also "sociology".
Heh Heh.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/6/2012 12:56 AM, harry wrote:
On Jan 6, 5:45 am, The Daring

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

If they graduate on a sports scholarship, I really have a hard time
communicating with them. "Sports Scholarship", isn't that a rather
excellent example of an oxymoron? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

It's a real trap for to many,
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/525/index.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Existential Angst wrote:

YET, college enrollment sets new records every year. WTF????

Don't know how the stats are compiled tho -- if they include ivy,
public/private, on-line, and these dinky for-profit ripoffs that
proliferate/advertise all over.

Well, some dinky for-profit (i.e., not a government school) don't reall
advertise. I'm thinking of Harvard, William & Mary, etc.

These are hardly for=profit, at least at the taxing level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had similar experience. Fixed a GE side by side refrigerator. Probably
cost $1500 new. Only thing wrong with it, a .250 push on terminal was cheap
quality, and not making proper contact.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I've seen some lack of eduction in my life, but I didn't know it made it as
far as four year degreed persons. That's spooky, to think that the lack of
education extends to colleges, also.

Perhaps they have future careers as Occupy Wall Street crowd, and union
protest marches?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Personally, I think 4 year colleges are highly over-rated, except as the
"entre" they provide for having that piece of paper -- whose value varies
tremendously with the school, ivy obviously being the better entre.

But still, something of a benchmark, for, well, something.....

Do you trust Affirmative Action college degrees? I've tried to carry on
an intelligent conversation with some recent college graduates and it's
quite evident that they only understand about every other word I say and
I'm not trying to use a very advanced vocabulary with them. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you have several small children in your life. Who you can teach your
repair skills. Because, the USA certainly needs people who can do useful
work, and repair things. Sadly, I may be the end of the line, as I have no
kids. And the ones near me are not interested in repairing things. Hmm.
Wait, there is the 18 year old Tyler, who lives down the road. He's in trade
school, learning how to repair cars. Might be hope.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I recently repaired two large ViewSonic computer monitors for
a commercial customer by replacing the common defective electrolytic
capacitors in the power supplies of them both with higher voltage parts.
The bill was certainly higher than $20.00 but much less than replacing
the monitors with new ones which would break the same way after a short
period of time. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've seen some lack of eduction in my life, but I didn't know it made it
as
far as four year degreed persons. That's spooky, to think that the lack of
education extends to colleges, also.

Perhaps they have future careers as Occupy Wall Street crowd, and union
protest marches?

Christopher A. Young

Yesterday Ellen Degeneris stumped the Jersey Shore girls with this political
awareness question:

"There are nine justices on the Supreme Court. Who presides on Judge Judy?"

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, but we got bling, money, and self esteem.

Doan matta dat we cant spel mutha. Wee can pop you ah wit a nahn.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

We have a degree in "media studies" (ie TV) over here.
Also "sociology".
Heh Heh.

If they graduate on a sports scholarship, I really have a hard time
communicating with them. "Sports Scholarship", isn't that a rather
excellent example of an oxymoron? o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Good God. I've got to change my citizenship. It's too embarassing to be USA.
Maybe some pacific island where the women wear grass skirts, and the men
carry machetes and WWII surplus .45 pistols?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Yesterday Ellen Degeneris stumped the Jersey Shore girls with this political
awareness question:

"There are nine justices on the Supreme Court. Who presides on Judge Judy?"

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2012 8:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I hope you have several small children in your life. Who you can teach your
repair skills. Because, the USA certainly needs people who can do useful
work, and repair things. Sadly, I may be the end of the line, as I have no
kids. And the ones near me are not interested in repairing things. Hmm.
Wait, there is the 18 year old Tyler, who lives down the road. He's in trade
school, learning how to repair cars. Might be hope.

I have no children that I know of but my doctor gave me some bad news
when he told me I could no longer have children. He said they contain
too much sugar and I might choke on the small bones. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

The Daring Dufas wrote the following:
"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

Speaking of affirmative action.
I haven't eaten in at MacDonalds in the last couple of decades, but I
remember they used to have written on their paper place mats,
"We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer".
Isn't that a dichotomy?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

I The UK, they call it "Positive Discrimination". ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's my best guess, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

I've been trying to find job statistics that make any sense to me.
I would like to know the actual employment percentages of the total
population over the past couple of decades. I think government agencies
are deliberately obfuscating for the administrations benefit.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I think that both of those mean that they give preference to minorities,
blacks, and women.

If women are 52% of the population, is that a minority?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

Speaking of affirmative action.
I haven't eaten in at MacDonalds in the last couple of decades, but I
remember they used to have written on their paper place mats,
"We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer".
Isn't that a dichotomy?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try em fried, instead of boiled. Boiling softens the bones too much.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I have no children that I know of but my doctor gave me some bad news
when he told me I could no longer have children. He said they contain
too much sugar and I might choke on the small bones. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/12 02:16 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's my best guess, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message

I've been trying to find job statistics that make any sense to me.
I would like to know the actual employment percentages of the total
population over the past couple of decades. I think government agencies
are deliberately obfuscating for the administrations benefit.

Are people who are no longer collecting unemployment benefits (because
they have run out) still counted as unemployed? How would they be tracked?

How, if at all, are the underemployed tracked -- those working part time
who would like to have full-time jobs?

Are people working two part-time jobs counted twice as "employed?"

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I've been trying to find job statistics that make any sense to me.
I would like to know the actual employment percentages of the total
population over the past couple of decades. I think government agencies
are deliberately obfuscating for the administrations benefit.

Are people who are no longer collecting unemployment benefits (because
they have run out) still counted as unemployed? How would they be tracked?

How, if at all, are the underemployed tracked -- those working part time
who would like to have full-time jobs?

Are people working two part-time jobs counted twice as "employed?"

Perce

That's the point I'm trying to make. I think the rules have changed as
to how unemployment is determined. Government bureaucrats, in spite of
their personal political leanings, tend to follow their career goals by
doing what they think their boss wants. Right now, their boss, fearing
the next election, wants a low unemployment number. So, they give it to
him.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

Speaking of affirmative action.
I haven't eaten in at MacDonalds in the last couple of
decades, but I remember they used to have written on their
paper place mats,
"We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
employer".
Isn't that a dichotomy?

--
Bill

No.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_Action

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued Executive Order
11246 which required federal contractors to take
"affirmative action" to hire without regard to race,
religion and national origin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

I've been trying to find job statistics that make any sense to me.
I would like to know the actual employment percentages of the total
population over the past couple of decades. I think government
agencies are deliberately obfuscating for the administrations benefit.

The official "unemployment rate" is defined as those who are looking for
work compared to the size of the labor force. This rate has been computed
exactly the same way since 1940. Consider the basic definitions:
1. People with jobs are EMPLOYED
2. People who are jobless, looking for a job, and available for work are
UNEMPLOYED
3. Everybody else doesn't count (not looking for a job, not available for
work).

The "labor force" is defined as #1 plus #2 above.

Back when the definition was decided, the number of people in category #3
above was minuscule. Since then, category #3 has grown to be significant. It
is so significant today, that it masks the unemployment rate. That is, when
folks not looking for work are included as "unemployed", the unemployment
rate skyrockets this past year from 11% to 19%.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_Action

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued Executive Order
11246 which required federal contractors to take
"affirmative action" to hire without regard to race,
religion and national origin.

Then explain why "Minorities" are being accepted into schools while
Caucasians with higher test scores and qualifications are being passed
over? Is that Equal Opportunity, nondiscriminatory? The same thing has
been happening in the work force for many years. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article om,
"Mr. Grumpypants" grumpypants@webtv wrote:

m...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_Action

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued Executive Order
11246 which required federal contractors to take
"affirmative action" to hire without regard to race,
religion and national origin.

But then the courts got involved and it has evolved into something more
statistical. The original affirmative action was largely that you had go
looking for minorities, etc. Now, it is you have to meet certain levels
(dare I say quotas?) or run into problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know the answer to those. I've heard various radio hosts talking
about the statistical lying that's being done to make the numbers
artificially lower.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

Are people who are no longer collecting unemployment benefits (because
they have run out) still counted as unemployed? How would they be tracked?

How, if at all, are the underemployed tracked -- those working part time
who would like to have full-time jobs?

Are people working two part-time jobs counted twice as "employed?"

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:11:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Then explain why "Minorities" are being accepted into schools while
Caucasians with higher test scores and qualifications are being passed
over? Is that Equal Opportunity, nondiscriminatory? The same thing has
been happening in the work force for many years. o_O

TDD

In a single word: Nepotism

....nepotism in the workplace

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 1/6/2012 3:32 PM, Mr. Grumpypants wrote:
m...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_Action

In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson issued Executive
Order
11246 which required federal contractors to take
"affirmative action" to hire without regard to race,
religion and national origin.

Then explain why "Minorities" are being accepted into
schools while Caucasians with higher test scores and
qualifications are being passed
over? Is that Equal Opportunity, nondiscriminatory? The
same thing has been happening in the work force for many
years. o_O

TDD

That's not true. It's an urban myth perpetrated by the
parents of stupid children.