Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

I had similar experience. Fixed a GE side by side refrigerator. Probably
cost $1500 new. Only thing wrong with it, a .250 push on terminal was cheap
quality, and not making proper contact.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

American dollars for the whole thing. Here in the US they would want
to replace the entire circuit board which would have to be special
ordered that's assuming the manufacturer had it and was willing to
sell it and as for the electronic schematic, the manufacturer would
refuse to provide it. With the labor and material cost together you
would be better off buying a new TV.
The moral of the story is: We're getting screwed here in the US.

I don't think that was a case of being designed to fail. It was simply
not being designed not to fail. Some engineer was micro engineering
everything to be exactly as strong as it had to be and he guessed
wrong on this particular part. If you save a nickel on a part and you
make a million units that is $50,000 directly to your bottom line and
there are a lot of nickel parts in a TV.
I was in the computer fixing biz for 30 years and we usually ended up
replacing the same part on the same machine type over and over until
someone came out with an engineering change and put in a better part
that cost about a nickel more. At a certain point we were at Radio
shack buying the part and doing our own ECs if we got tired of
waiting. If it was rated at 50v, put in a 100v or 300v part. That
usually made the problem go away.