Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Posted to alt.home.repair

robb wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Hi,
If I were you I'd buy Stihl or Echo. I have both Echo at home and Stihl
out at my cabin. They won't let you down and it will last long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-23, robb wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

Do you think all opinions you read here are going to be unanimous!?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

Popular Mechanics has several comparisons and reviews. Here's one for
what you seem to be looking for:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...30-c-be-review

Note the comments about the carbide chain.

I have no experience using chainsaws, whatsoever, but being a
combustion engine freak, I always read other people's opinions/reviews
with interest. Seems Stihl and Husqvarna are the two biggies and both
are considered top quality by pros and DIY'ers alike. It will
probably come down to what which one you like the feel of. You should
try both out beforehand by renting one and actually using it.

Tool rental places often have more than one brand and/or model of
chainsaw, it being an extremely popular rental item. As a long-ago tool
rental mechanic, I can guarantee it's the one place you can go to
discover a tool's shortcomings. I can also tell you the biggest
maintenance issue with chain saws is constantly sharpening the cutting
teeth. Make sure whichever brand you get, the chain is easily
accessable and removeable. Also inquire about chain sharpening tools,
cuz you'll damn sure be using them. That's why that carbide chain
sounded like a good thing. OTOH, while carbide last for a long time,
it's even more difficult to sharpen. Good luck.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stihl

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2011 10:15 AM, robb wrote:

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Go ahead, buy a cheap piece-of-**** Chinasaw...and when it craps out
after half a day's use, then go to a Stihl dealer and buy a real chainsaw.

Seriously, I used to buy chinasaws from lowes depot. In my opinion,
chinasaws are pure junk. They don't start easily, they don't idle right,
they don't run right at high speed, they vibrate like hell and their
cheap chinasaw chains constantly stretch and come off. Chinasaws are
more trouble than they're worth!

Do yourself a favor - go buy a Stihl.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 23, 10:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

I can tell you this, do NOT buy a Homelight. They are a piece of
junk.

I made about 25 cuts with one and it crapped out. Took it back to HD
and got a Poulan Wood Shark. I haven't had any problems with it, but a
lot of people in here frown on Poulan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 3:15*pm, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Stihl or Husqvana are the best makes IME. Oregon comes next.
Pay peanuts get s**t.
Leave Homelite and McCulloch well alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Son and I had problems with both our Poulan Wild Things. Would not
buy another Poulan or any other chain saw advertised for occassional
use. Only good thing with HD is that they refunded son's purchase
after about 3 months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 9:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Jonsered, Husky, Stihl, Echo are the better brands. 50 years ago it
was Homelite...very good but not light weight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

robb wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Echo makes good saws, but they are a little underpowered for the
number of cubic inches -- that just means they are detuned a little,
which probably adds to their longevity. As far as I know, all Echo
saws are "professional" saws, but perhaps low-end pro. Stihl and
Husqvarna sell multiple grades of saws, and the lowest grade of Husky
(models 235 and 240) are just rebranded Poulans painted orange,
although they appear to have better air filters.

Northern Tool has rebuilt Husky 435's (that model is made in Sweden)
on sale right now for considerably less than $200. That's probably
the best deal around. Next would be an Echo 440 or 500 from Home Depot.

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

The quality probably suffered. I bought a Homelite about 15
years ago, for occasional use. Model PS-33. I've been very
pleased with it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron"
wrote in message

I can tell you this, do NOT buy a Homelight. They are a
piece of
junk.

I made about 25 cuts with one and it crapped out. Took it
back to HD
and got a Poulan Wood Shark. I haven't had any problems with
it, but a
lot of people in here frown on Poulan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 7:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

By the description of what you want to do with one, you need a quality
saw. Stay away from all the el cheapo's. Your targt price for a saw
that will probably stand up to the work is $300 or above.

The cheap saws are all plastic and flimsy plastic at that. My
neighbor bought at Wild Thing and asked me to show him how to use a
chainsaw. Right out of the box it would not run. I have been using
saws for over 30 years and nothing I could do would make it run more
than a few seconds after it ran out the 'choke' charge.

The chain brake handle broke with out any rough handling. Snapped off
one side right at the pivot bolt.

The other el cheapos are about the same quality.

You reallyshould buy from a regular dealer because with that use you
_will_ going back for service.

Bottom line "the joy of cheap price is paid for by the sorrow of poor
quality"

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 9:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

After a couple of years, the Husqvana I had would not start until I
made up a fresh can of gas for it every time. It would not start at
all with gas that I had mixed up just the day before. I heard that
that was common with that brand so I got rid of it. Now, for what
little I've been doing lately, I use an axe or a saw. Great exercise
for this old feller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Country" wrote in message
On Sep 23, 9:15 am, "robb" wrote:
[...]

reply:

A 26 ton splitter works fine, too. After having my sternum split into two
pieces by some kind of special bone splitter the doctor uses, it hasn't been
up to splitting any wood. I mean I can still do it manually, but why? I
can still do a lot of things, a lot of them pretty hard, such as
metalworking. But for splitting a few tons of wood, I'll take the easy way
out.

You do whatever winds your clock.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stay the hell out of the big box stores and buy from someone who stocks parts and makes repairs, your saw will be properly set up and the money tends to stay in town.
You don't need anything bigger than a 16" bar, the high revving engines now 13,000 rpm cut very well and a bigger saw is just bigger aches and pains at the end of the day.
The midrange of saws would be the ms290 aka farm boss by Stihl but it's a lot heavier than what you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"beecrofter" wrote in message
Stay the hell out of the big box stores and buy from someone who stocks
parts and makes repairs, your saw will be properly set up and the money
tends to stay in town.
You don't need anything bigger than a 16" bar, the high revving engines
now 13,000 rpm cut very well and a bigger saw is just bigger aches and
pains at the end of the day.
The midrange of saws would be the ms290 aka farm boss by Stihl but it's
a lot heavier than what you need.

I bought a 16" bar Husky, and if I had it to do again, I would go no smaller
than 18", and probably would get a 20. If I had it to do again, I would get
a Stihl, but am happy with my Husky now I learned how to start it. Pull it
and give it no gas until it has fired and is running. Probably in the
directions, but I seem to have misplaced them ........ Like any tool,
there's always some situation every once in a while when you need that
little extra.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/24/2011 1:15 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I know this defies all odds but I fired up the crapsman/Poulan today for
the first time since spring. Third pull it fired up like usual and ran
fine. The only thing wrong with it is the chain doesn't stay tight.
That's my only complaint in about 10 years. It was a returned unit that
was repaired, on clearance, for $50. It's probably only cut about a
cord of wood a year. A year or two ago I replaced the clutch because
the teeth were worn from me running it with the chain either too tight
and/or too loose. Now they have a different way of adjusting the chain
tension and I'm tempted to get a new one but the posts I read here tell
me I'd be crazy to expect to get a 2nd one that actually works. Did I
really get the one in a million that actually works?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

I bought a 16" bar Husky, and if I had it to do again, I would go no smaller
than 18", and probably would get a 20.

And I would go exactly the opposite way. I have a 50cc, 20" McCulloch chainsaw.
I purposely wanted 20" to deal with an older willow tree that had a large trunk,
and with the longer bar you need a larger engine.

Once I dealt with that tree, everything else (managing a 2 acre wooded lot)
would be served with a 16" saw that would be far lighter and easier to handle..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 15:58:23 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote:

I bought a 16" bar Husky, and if I had it to do again, I would go no smaller
than 18", and probably would get a 20.

And I would go exactly the opposite way. I have a 50cc, 20" McCulloch chainsaw.
I purposely wanted 20" to deal with an older willow tree that had a large trunk,
and with the longer bar you need a larger engine.

Once I dealt with that tree, everything else (managing a 2 acre wooded lot)
would be served with a 16" saw that would be far lighter and easier to handle..

Personally I like a small saw with a long bar - My little Remington
came with a short bar - I replaced it with a longer one - it makes it
a lot more flexible (for pruning etc) and added VERY little weight.And
the little monster can handle the long chain in softer woods
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 12:07*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Country" wrote in message

On Sep 23, 9:15 am, "robb" wrote:

[...]

Well, if I was cutting tons of wood I would use a different tool. The
wood I burn to heat the house these days comes in pellets in 45 pound
bags. That winds my clock.

The big willow tree in my yard does cause me some extra work after a
wind storm or ice storm tho.

-C-

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

wrote in message
[...]

FWIW, mine starts and runs fine, but it's sloppy about oil -- it seems
every time I pick it up, it has left a puddle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 8:39*pm, jimmy wrote:
Craftsman would be my choice.mainly because of previous experience,
however I imagine they are all from the same co now.

Craftsman is (or used to be) made by Poulan and may be good if used
for short/medium duration once a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

I picked up a recon Poulin for $99 and it starts and runs fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote

Now they have a different way of adjusting the chain
tension and I'm tempted to get a new one but the posts I read here tell me
I'd be crazy to expect to get a 2nd one that actually works. Did I really
get the one in a million that actually works?

Most everything WORKS, at least for some period of time. It's just when you
really get it out and use it quite a bit that you find out how good it is.
To cut one cord of wood a year is light use. I'm surprised your carb rubber
and gaskets last from year to year. Poulans work, and there are a few that
last a long time. Just not many.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-09-25, Steve B wrote:

To cut one cord of wood a year is light use. I'm surprised.....

I'm surprised most of the respondents to this post are smart enough to
even breath!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Thanks for that... oh mighty judgmental one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Whichever brand you decide on get a professional model, Quality is
long remembered ...price is soon forgot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:28:35 -0600, Robert Neville

You can swap out that Paul Bunyon thing you bought on a whim for a
shorter one for $30 and have a choice.

My point was that chainsaws that come with longer bars stock typically have
heavier engines. You can certainly swap out a shorter bar for a longer one if
all you are cutting is scrub and branches, but if you need the longer bar for
cutting trunk, you probably need the heavier engine.

Trimming cherry trees requires a longer reach more than a thicker
cut - which is why I put on the long bar - but the little monster just
grunts and goes when I need to cut.

Looking for chainsaw advice StephenM[_2_] Woodturning 9 February 10th 09 10:43 PM
Chainsaw advice william kossack Woodturning 2 December 12th 06 07:36 PM
Chainsaw advice Ralph E Lindberg Woodturning 6 December 7th 06 09:07 PM
Chainsaw advice George Woodturning 0 December 6th 06 11:29 AM
Chainsaw advice Patriarch Woodturning 0 December 6th 06 05:24 AM