Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Chainsaw advice

"Test Tickle" wrote in message
Hey,

I am looking for a new chainsaw, as I'd like to start harvesting more
wood to feed the habit. I'd love to hear any advice you folks might
have. I know I want a gas powered saw, and I suppose it's better to
buy a longer bar rather than a shorter one -- my old 16 inch was a
little lacking sometimes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Displacement determines the max bar length. Better to have a margin of
extra cc than be shy, as long as the saw doesn't get too heavy.

If you're a turner, you'd like the bar to go at least 2" longer than the
swing of your lathe for ripping. That way you won't have to bury a tip and
possibly get a kick.

Go to a real chainsaw place where they can make you a non "safety" chain or
expect to spend some time ripping. Safety chain crosscuts OK, but rips for
squat.

I've had a couple of Stihl saws. First one outlived its parts chain after
15 years, so I got another, trading the old for its other parts. Johnsreds
and Husquvarna are a couple of other types common in the woods. Around the
home you can see all kinds of brands.

Chainsaw advice Patriarch Woodturning 0 December 6th 06 05:24 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 01:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 6th 05 11:39 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 November 6th 05 12:39 PM
Tree, branch, fence, chainsaw, me, advice? Colin UK diy 3 July 27th 03 08:26 PM