Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

On 2011-09-23, robb wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

Do you think all opinions you read here are going to be unanimous!?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

Popular Mechanics has several comparisons and reviews. Here's one for
what you seem to be looking for:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...30-c-be-review

Note the comments about the carbide chain.

I have no experience using chainsaws, whatsoever, but being a
combustion engine freak, I always read other people's opinions/reviews
with interest. Seems Stihl and Husqvarna are the two biggies and both
are considered top quality by pros and DIY'ers alike. It will
probably come down to what which one you like the feel of. You should
try both out beforehand by renting one and actually using it.

Tool rental places often have more than one brand and/or model of
chainsaw, it being an extremely popular rental item. As a long-ago tool
rental mechanic, I can guarantee it's the one place you can go to
discover a tool's shortcomings. I can also tell you the biggest
maintenance issue with chain saws is constantly sharpening the cutting
teeth. Make sure whichever brand you get, the chain is easily
accessable and removeable. Also inquire about chain sharpening tools,
cuz you'll damn sure be using them. That's why that carbide chain
sounded like a good thing. OTOH, while carbide last for a long time,
it's even more difficult to sharpen. Good luck.

nb