Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

robb wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs and
occasional downed trees from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

Echo makes good saws, but they are a little underpowered for the
number of cubic inches -- that just means they are detuned a little,
which probably adds to their longevity. As far as I know, all Echo
saws are "professional" saws, but perhaps low-end pro. Stihl and
Husqvarna sell multiple grades of saws, and the lowest grade of Husky
(models 235 and 240) are just rebranded Poulans painted orange,
although they appear to have better air filters.

Northern Tool has rebuilt Husky 435's (that model is made in Sweden)
on sale right now for considerably less than $200. That's probably
the best deal around. Next would be an Echo 440 or 500 from Home Depot.

-Bob