Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default chainsaw reccomendation or advice ?

On Sep 23, 7:15*am, "robb" wrote:
I have done the google searches. Now the internet is filled with 50/50
conflicting advice and reviews.

Does anyone her have experience with the big retailer brand gas
powered chainsaws ?

I am looking for probably 18"- 20" *gas powered chainsaw to clear and
thin out *some under brush, saplings, scrub oaks, limbs *and
occasional downed trees *from my parents wooded property ( there is
about 2 acres of overgrown *wooded area they want cleaned up ) .

So, i was looking at the big box DIY stores and i see *Homelight,
Poulan, ECHO, Stihl, Blue Max, Ryobi, *Poulan Pro, Husqvarna with
prices from 149 - 499.

I would like to stick *to lower end prices.

Is there a best of the cheap ?

thanks for helpful replies,
robb

By the description of what you want to do with one, you need a quality
saw. Stay away from all the el cheapo's. Your targt price for a saw
that will probably stand up to the work is $300 or above.

The cheap saws are all plastic and flimsy plastic at that. My
neighbor bought at Wild Thing and asked me to show him how to use a
chainsaw. Right out of the box it would not run. I have been using
saws for over 30 years and nothing I could do would make it run more
than a few seconds after it ran out the 'choke' charge.

The chain brake handle broke with out any rough handling. Snapped off
one side right at the pivot bolt.

The other el cheapos are about the same quality.

You reallyshould buy from a regular dealer because with that use you
_will_ going back for service.

Bottom line "the joy of cheap price is paid for by the sorrow of poor
quality"

Harry K