Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting secrets

I just know somebody from an initials-only organization is going to come a
disappear me for revealing these gems. But a Popular Mechanics article
promotes the following:

* Sanding
* Tinted primer
* Press blue tape with putty knife
* Use paint extender/conditioner
* Scrape a ridge in a textured ceiling
* Use canvas drop cloths [better if it has a plastic backing]
* Do one wall at a time
* Scrape (don't tape) windows
* Box paint
* Wash roller covers before use
* Degrease walls before painting*
* Load the brush
* Push paint

Full explanations and examples he
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...-you#fbIndex13

--------
* Oil and (latex) paint don't mix. You can use fact this to your advantage
by spraying your hands with PAM before painting. After painting, a squirt of
PAM in the paint can will put a thin layer of "oil" atop the remaining paint
thereby preventing skin formation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

* Use canvas drop cloths [better if it has a plastic backing]

Last time I used canvas I had to clean paint off the hardwood floor under
the drop cloth, the paint went right through the canvas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

* Use canvas drop cloths [better if it has a plastic backing]

Last time I used canvas I had to clean paint off the hardwood floor
under the drop cloth, the paint went right through the canvas.

Hence the plastic backing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 9:07*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 10:07*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

* Do one wall at a time

I paint two walls at once with a roller in each hand. It's twice as
fast and good for developing your split vision. Sometimes I rig up a
hard hat with another roller so I can do the ceiling at the same time.

And what's this about a "drop cloth"? Painting the floor at the same
time is the easiest part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Last time I used canvas I had to clean paint off the hardwood floor
under the drop cloth, the paint went right through the canvas.

Hence the plastic backing.

Now you tell me, where were you when I was up on that ladder?

Next question, if the plastic layer is what stops paint from reaching the
floor, why bother with canvas at all?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 06:41:37 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

* Use canvas drop cloths [better if it has a plastic backing]

Last time I used canvas I had to clean paint off the hardwood floor
under the drop cloth, the paint went right through the canvas.

Hence the plastic backing.

Depends on the canvas. I have a bunch of canvas drop cloths that don't leak
at all (not even a gallon of spilled B-I-N), then I bought one that might just
as well have been an old bed sheet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message

I paint two walls at once with a roller in each hand. It's twice as
fast and good for developing your split vision. Sometimes I rig up a
hard hat with another roller so I can do the ceiling at the same time.

Bah, kid stuff. I pour paint into my pressure washer and stand on a
mechanic's creeper and have my wife give me a good spin, the whole room is
done in about a minute.

And what's this about a "drop cloth"? Painting the floor at the same
time is the easiest part.

But we have hardwood floors, so I spray them with Pam and when the paint is
dry I peel it up off the floor in one big sheet. If I can figure a way to
glue those sheets to the outside of the house....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:42:11 -0700, "DGDevin" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...

Last time I used canvas I had to clean paint off the hardwood floor
under the drop cloth, the paint went right through the canvas.

Hence the plastic backing.

Now you tell me, where were you when I was up on that ladder?

Next question, if the plastic layer is what stops paint from reaching the
floor, why bother with canvas at all?

So you don't track paint all over the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2011 4:42 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Last time I used canvas I had to clean paint off the hardwood floor
under the drop cloth, the paint went right through the canvas.

Hence the plastic backing.

Now you tell me, where were you when I was up on that ladder?

Next question, if the plastic layer is what stops paint from reaching
the floor, why bother with canvas at all?

'cuz plastic is slippery to walk on, especially if you step in a paint
drip, which instantly transfers to your shoe. REAL canvas dropcloths,
the heavy suckers with a real tight weave, work pretty well. The cheap
thin crap from HF doesn't. Most painters I have seen recently used that
tacky thin plastic stuff over carpet/hardwood and such, and spread a
small tarp, or use a 4x6 piece of cardboard they carry with them as they
move around the room. A few real experienced painters I have seen use no
tarps at all for trim work, and barely mask. The tarps only come out for
roller work.

I hate painting, because I suck at it, but just like drywall mudding,
the pros make it look SO easy. I suck at drywall mudding, too.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...

Next question, if the plastic layer is what stops paint from reaching the
floor, why bother with canvas at all?

So you don't track paint all over the house.

I have no problem tracking paint from stepping in drops on canvas, it
doesn't seem to absorb fast enough to prevent that. But I leave my shoes
(actually slip-on water mocs) in the room being painted if I need to leave
in order to avoid being burned by the laser beams from SWMBO's eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:24:59 -0700, "DGDevin" wrote:

wrote in message ...

Next question, if the plastic layer is what stops paint from reaching the
floor, why bother with canvas at all?

So you don't track paint all over the house.

I have no problem tracking paint from stepping in drops on canvas,

Wow! I think he's finally got it!

it
doesn't seem to absorb fast enough to prevent that. But I leave my shoes
(actually slip-on water mocs) in the room being painted if I need to leave
in order to avoid being burned by the laser beams from SWMBO's eyes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:07 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."

My native language was Pig Latin, or at least that's what my parents spoke
whenever they were around me.

Just shows how willpower can overcome even the most insignificant of
deficiencies.

P.S.
Being multi-lingual can reap rewards. I'm presently at work translating the
New Testament into Morse Code.

I intend to bill the result as "The Translation for the Pastor Who Has Every
Other Translation."

Plus, the work will be directed to a specific market. My previous endeavor,
attuned to a general audience, "Toilet Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book
for the John," frankly did not meet my sales expectations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in
:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
..
.

I paint two walls at once with a roller in each hand. It's twice as
fast and good for developing your split vision. Sometimes I rig up a
hard hat with another roller so I can do the ceiling at the same
time.

Bah, kid stuff. I pour paint into my pressure washer and stand on a
mechanic's creeper and have my wife give me a good spin, the whole
room is done in about a minute.

I'm archiving this reply for future reference.

And what's this about a "drop cloth"? Painting the floor at the same
time is the easiest part.

But we have hardwood floors, so I spray them with Pam and when the
paint is dry I peel it up off the floor in one big sheet. If I can
figure a way to glue those sheets to the outside of the house....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message ...

Bah, kid stuff. I pour paint into my pressure washer and stand on a
mechanic's creeper and have my wife give me a good spin, the whole
room is done in about a minute.

I'm archiving this reply for future reference.

Dang, I knew I should have applied for a patent on that idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.....There are no painting SECRETS.

Only points that others do not know.

I had been in the painting and decorating field for over 40 years.

If you're a home-owner and don't know how to paint OR what to use where
it's needed....well then welcome to the club.

My expertise was all self taught.

As in...Drop clothes...Use cheap ones and pay for it down the line...I
still have tons of high quality D/C's need any?

And they ARE called DROP CLOTHES, NOT TARPS...Tarps are coverings for
truck beds...OR, for tent buildings.

Never have I had a problem with my D/C's...I have spilled whole bucket's
of paint on them....and guess what?

Painting is something that EVERYONE thinks they can do. And, ya know
what, they can...but what is the most efficient and less brain damage,
and back breaking way to get there?

As in a roller sleeve..what is the correct way to load a roller sleeve
and keep it loaded? There's an answer...but not here and not now....

Using a paint pan? Please!. This is an invention of the devil...

But then home-owners don't know.

If you want to work on your own house, fine, do it...but keep in mind,
there is a right way and a H/O's way....

Painting is an art in some respects.

You either got it or you don't. Please no disrespect to H/O's... But as
always, everyone thinks they can do anything...

HEH....good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote the following:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Jul 16, 9:07 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."

My native language was Pig Latin, or at least that's what my parents spoke
whenever they were around me.

Just shows how willpower can overcome even the most insignificant of
deficiencies.

P.S.
Being multi-lingual can reap rewards. I'm presently at work translating the
New Testament into Morse Code.

I intend to bill the result as "The Translation for the Pastor Who Has Every
Other Translation."

Plus, the work will be directed to a specific market. My previous endeavor,
attuned to a general audience, "Toilet Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book
for the John," frankly did not meet my sales expectations.

Perhaps you did not use the right brand?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 8:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:07 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."

My native language was Pig Latin, or at least that's what my parents spoke
whenever they were around me.

Just shows how willpower can overcome even the most insignificant of
deficiencies.

P.S.
Being multi-lingual can reap rewards. I'm presently at work translating the
New Testament into Morse Code.

I intend to bill the result as "The Translation for the Pastor Who Has Every
Other Translation."

Plus, the work will be directed to a specific market. My previous endeavor,
attuned to a general audience, "Toilet Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book
for the John," frankly did not meet my sales expectations.

What did you expect? Limiting your target audience to guys that
frequent prostitutes was not a well thought business plan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Papa Pat) wrote in
:

[...]

After all that above,

My expertise was all self taught.

says you're a homeowner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Papa Pat) wrote in
:

[...]

I think I know who you really are.

http://tinyurl.com/3t2qru4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 5:11*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:07*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."

Just for the record, the non-standard use of the verb "to
disappear"with a direct object is now accepted because people are,
indeed, "disappeared" by criminals, terrorists, or other unsavory
actors. This usage appears regularly in the media.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 5:27*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:07 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."

My native language was Pig Latin, or at least that's what my parents spoke
whenever they were around me.

Just shows how willpower can overcome even the most insignificant of
deficiencies.

P.S.
Being multi-lingual can reap rewards. I'm presently at work translating the
New Testament into Morse Code.

I intend to bill the result as "The Translation for the Pastor Who Has Every
Other Translation."

Plus, the work will be directed to a specific market. My previous endeavor,
attuned to a general audience, "Toilet Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book
for the John," frankly did not meet my sales expectations.

Just don't plagiarize my own magnum opus: "The physics of toilet
rolls", subtitled: "To hang inside or outside".

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 12:50*pm, (Papa Pat) wrote:
[...]

Explain about paint pan - invention of the devil? What else would you
use?

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 9:07*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

I had no idea you were non-English speaking! ex. "...is going to come
disappear me..." and "You can use fact this to your advantage..."

Just for the record, the non-standard use of the verb "to
disappear"with a direct object is now accepted because people are,
indeed, "disappeared" by criminals, terrorists, or other unsavory
actors. *This usage appears regularly in the media.

HB

Are we talking actual English here? "(Someone)...is going to come a
disappear me..."! Let it be your record then!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob Villa wrote:

Just for the record, the non-standard use of the verb "to
disappear"with a direct object is now accepted because people are,
indeed, "disappeared" by criminals, terrorists, or other unsavory
actors. This usage appears regularly in the media.

HB

Are we talking actual English here? "(Someone)...is going to come a
disappear me..."! Let it be your record then!

How do you feel about "I'm going to adios the trash"?

I often say good-bye as "hoista ya legga". Little Spanish lingo there...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Papa Pat wrote:

As in...Drop clothes...Use cheap ones and pay for it down the line...I
still have tons of high quality D/C's need any?

And they ARE called DROP CLOTHES, NOT TARPS...Tarps are coverings for
truck beds...OR, for tent buildings.

Recently I had to have an MRI. Of the three (female) technicians in the MRI
room, one said I'd have to lower my pants (I guess the zipper might
influence the machine) and offered a modesty sheet.

I demurred, noting I was sure the three ladies had seen a male in his shorts
before.

After the scan, as I was pulling up my pants, I remarked: "I certainly got a
different reaction from you girls than I usually get when I drop-trou at the
bus stop."

Shock. Giggles. Offers to meet after work.

Anyway, it makes sense, if you are going to DROP CLOTHES (particularily at a
bus stop), to use cheap ones as you suggest - you may have to leave without
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Explain about paint pan - invention of the
devil? What else would you use?

HB

Look.... I meant NO disrespect to anyone.

I was just voicing my opinion, as most of you guys do here. There was no
need for the rash of bull-**** comments.

Yes I am a home owner, no, I am not Mr. Know-It-All...Maybe I should
have explained more of myself... I just got tired of all the bad
comments some of you posted...Again no disrespect...But some of you give
poor advice and make bad comments. But I do understand the human need to
want to help out...Ergo my poorly worded post...

I meant no harm...Yes I did have some spelling errors.. I'm 73 give me
some slack...I was just trying to join in the fun.

Maybe my words don't come out so good in text form. Sorry. But feel free
to jump all over me for speaking. I'm a big boy.

Using a pan for painting walls and ceilings is indeed a mistake. Use a
five gallon bucket. You won't step in it...you won't knock it over.You
can keep at least 2 gals. of material in it and keep your roller sleeve
fully loadedmost HO's always run the roller dry...Yes it does take a
little practice...but once you get the hang of it, you'll never use a
pan again. Try it.

Also there are screens you can use in the bucket if you need to...Some
pro's find no need for them...it slows down the job when production is
called for...

Mia Culpa.. is it spelled right?

Drop cloth?
Pat.... :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Papa Pat" wrote in message

You either got it or you don't. Please no disrespect to H/O's... But as
always, everyone thinks they can do anything...

I don't think I can do everything, I don't even think I'm an ace painter.
But I've managed to paint quite a few rooms in both residential and
commercial properties without anyone ever commenting on an unprofessional
paint job. From what I've seen the main difference between a professional
painter and a mere homeowner is the pro can do the job much faster. So it
takes me longer to paint a couple of rooms, big deal, it stills looks fine
and I saved hundreds of dollars. I also get the satisfaction of knowing I
did it, something that doesn't come from just writing a check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Papa Pat) wrote in
:

Explain about paint pan - invention of the
devil? What else would you use?

HB

Look.... I meant NO disrespect to anyone.

I was just voicing my opinion, as most of you guys do here. There was
no need for the rash of bull-**** comments.

Yes I am a home owner, no, I am not Mr. Know-It-All...Maybe I should
have explained more of myself... I just got tired of all the bad
comments some of you posted...Again no disrespect...But some of you
give poor advice and make bad comments. But I do understand the human
need to want to help out...Ergo my poorly worded post...

No offense taken papa. It's just, on a NG, when you set yourself up
people are gonna jump on it :-) Just had to use the Bullwinkle bit.

Yep some give poor advice and make bad comments. Again, it's a
newsgroup. And I bet I've done it as well.

Stick around. I can alwayus learn some degree of something from
everybody.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Papa Pat wrote:

Mia Culpa.. is it spelled right?

Uh, no. You're thinking of "Momma Mia!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

I don't think I can do everything, I don't even think I'm an ace
painter. But I've managed to paint quite a few rooms in both
residential and commercial properties without anyone ever commenting
on an unprofessional paint job. From what I've seen the main
difference between a professional painter and a mere homeowner is the
pro can do the job much faster. So it takes me longer to paint a
couple of rooms, big deal, it stills looks fine and I saved hundreds
of dollars. I also get the satisfaction of knowing I did it,
something that doesn't come from just writing a check.

Yep. Me too. I've recently taken to highlighting the freshly painted area
with a double, high-intensity, quartz/halogen work light. It shows the
subtle areas not quite covered with paint, such as on the other side of a
teeny texture bump.

It's a sense of personal satisfaction, although one for which I'll never get
huzzah-huzzah, hip-hip-hurrah, from visitors, that the job was done
perfectly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Yep. Me too. I've recently taken to highlighting the freshly painted area
with a double, high-intensity, quartz/halogen work light. It shows the
subtle areas not quite covered with paint, such as on the other side of a
teeny texture bump.

Heh, when I complain about flaws in my home painting jobs my wife insists
nobody but me can see them. Of course that might be because she's my wife,
but still.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:15:26 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

Heh, when I complain about flaws in my home painting jobs my wife insists
nobody but me can see them. Of course that might be because she's my wife,
but still.

I never complain about the painting in our house. My wife and her
friend painted the entire inside.

I can see some flaws in the ceiling, but I'm not telling :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 4:55*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
"RicodJour" *wrote in message

I paint two walls at once with a roller in each hand. *It's twice as
fast and good for developing your split vision. *Sometimes I rig up a
hard hat with another roller so I can do the ceiling at the same time.

Bah, kid stuff. *I pour paint into my pressure washer and stand on a
mechanic's creeper and have my wife give me a good spin, the whole room is
done in about a minute.

And what's this about a "drop cloth"? *Painting the floor at the same
time is the easiest part.

But we have hardwood floors, so I spray them with Pam and when the paint is
dry I peel it up off the floor in one big sheet. *If I can figure a way to
glue those sheets to the outside of the house....

Ha Ha, Not far from the way I used to paint new concrete block houses.
Spraying from the back of a PU truck.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Heh, when I complain about flaws in my home painting jobs my wife insists
nobody but me can see them. Of course that might be because she's my wife,
but still.

I never complain about the painting in our house. My wife and her
friend painted the entire inside.

I can see some flaws in the ceiling, but I'm not telling :-/

Because if you do, *YOU* will be repainting them. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Heh, when I complain about flaws in my home painting jobs my wife insists
nobody but me can see them. Of course that might be because she's my wife,
but still.

I never complain about the painting in our house. My wife and her
friend painted the entire inside.

I can see some flaws in the ceiling, but I'm not telling :-/

Because if you do, *YOU* will be repainting them. ;-)

You just have to know when to stand up and when to shut up.

My little painting secret :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 9:59*am, (Papa Pat) wrote:
[...]

Close. It's MEA CULPA.