Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet install question - UPDATE

On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:
LOL... Lowe's isn't going to do anything about the install,
because you allowed the "technician" to leave after it was
completed...

Received a call from the production services manager earlier who said
that he had spoken to the store manager and they are crediting back my
charges, including a charge for changing out the supply valve.

I hadn't thought of taking a picture, but thanks to the request here
for photo verification by a skeptical earlier poster, I got even
sicker and began feeling like I was standing at the end of the other
gangplank on Noah's Arc getting prodded by three monkeys, three
gorillas and an unwitting donkey, so I jumped in and took the picture
to Lowe's so they could see what my money paid for. Though they
attempted to remain non-committal, the expressions on their faces were
all I needed to surmise that a refund would be forthcoming. I was
buoyed further by the encouraging nods of a priest, a nun and a rabbi
standing off to the side, though I did find the priest's glances a bit
discomforting.

Fortunately, feeling two micro-organisms shy of pneumonia, I had been
able to suppress the spontaneous combustion that typically results
from being plagued by having a fuse of somewhat abbreviated length,
with a result possibly better than had I not.

In any case, the search for a plumber follows to see where this goes
from here.

Thank you very much for all the...prodding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 15:09:14 -0800 (PST), yo
wrote:

On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the update. It pays to be persistent.

When you chew one ear lobe off, start on an another...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 5:09*pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

[...]

Proves a picture is worth at least a 1000 words. Good for you!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 6:09*pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

[...]

Right... See, give you back your money, thus terminating your
consumer rights and protections under the law... Which is
much cheaper than fixing the crappy install and doesn't solve
your problem of having the situation fixed...

But since they gave you back your money you are on your
own now in a new game which will cost you out of pocket...

You could have gotten to exactly the same place buy
selecting and purchasing your toilet like you did and
calling a plumber to have it done right the first time and
you wouldn't have wasted all your time and energy dealing
with your "bargain" install from the home center...

Chalk it up to a lesson learned I guess and move on...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"yo" wrote

Received a call from the production services manager earlier who said
that he had spoken to the store manager and they are crediting back my
charges, including a charge for changing out the supply valve.

Good for you. I hope the next fix works much better. We also appreciate the
feedback as most people don't bother.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yo wrote in news:84d3cf08-81da-4a10-ac48-7e869da24aa1
@f36g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:
[...]

Great! Worth the effort you put in. Now you have another bullet to add to
your resume.

- Communication skills of 3rd monkey on Noah's gangplank.

My guess is the "plumber" will be contacted by Lowe's. That will then
probably be his last contact from Lowe's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 7:55*pm, Evan wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:09*pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

[...]

Right... now go out and *buy* and USE a dictionary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 10:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"yo" wrote

Received a call from the production services manager earlier who said
that he had spoken to the store manager and they are crediting back my
charges, including a charge for changing out the supply valve.

Good for you. I hope the next fix works much better. We also appreciate the
feedback as most people don't bother.

The next fix worked much better. Plumber arrived prepared to cut and
replace the flange, but found that that wasn't necessary. It turns
out that the flange rises only barely half an inch off the floor, not
an inch as claimed by the first plumber. The toilet came with a fat
wax ring and apparently the first installer didn't adapt to that ring
being too large for this application. Thus the poor fit and poor
install. The new plumber used a thinner wax ring and voila!, a nice
neat, solid job. The charges were time and materials, and though that
usually translates into the-slower-the-better (for the worker),
watching this guy work conjured images of Neo dodging bullets. I was
pleased with the result.

Thank you very much again for all the information and guidance, even
that which made me want to wear a disguise whenever I left the house
and sometimes even in the house. The information, wisdom AND
entertainment you guys provide on this site is amazing and never
disappointing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

yo wrote in
:

[...]

Awesome!

At least now your feet won't dangle like you're sitting on a handicap
crapper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that repairs require three ingredients. Skilled
worker, the right parts, and the tools to do the job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"yo" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 26, 11:18*am, yo wrote:
On Feb 24, 7:55*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:09*pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

[...]

LOL...

And just *which* words do you think I misspelled ?

Big Box DIY'er weekend warrior types deserve exactly
what they get when someone botches an install job...

Construction work is only CHEAP when you have a
clue of what you are doing and provide the labor yourself...

Otherwise it costs what it costs and if you find someone
who offers a MUCH LOWER price they are either starving
and have no work or customers (sometimes you wonder
why) or lack any reasonable experience to know what
such jobs should cost...

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for... If you don't
know what you need to do in order to successfully
accomplish your goal/project/agenda don't complain when
you choose someone (or are provided with a 3rd party) who
doesn't know how to fulfill your needs... As the owner of
a house (or a person authorized to supervise any work
done on said house) you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
have the power to tell the workers to STOP, pack up their
stuff and get out...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 10:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"yo" wrote

Received a call from the production services manager earlier who said
that he had spoken to the store manager and they are crediting back my
charges, including a charge for changing out the supply valve.

Good for you. I hope the next fix works much better. We also appreciate the
feedback as most people don't bother.

That depends on his batting average...

If the "plumber" in question has done 100 installs for Lowe's and
this is the first complaint then a 1% error ratio has still made
lots of install sales dollar volume for Lowe's...

Never assume that one complaint is enough to punch someone's
ticket...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 10:06*am, Evan wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:18*am, yo wrote:

On Feb 24, 7:55*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:09*pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

LOL... *Lowe's isn't going to do anything about the install,
because you allowed the "technician" to leave after it was
completed...

snip
snip
You could have gotten to exactly the same place buy
selecting and purchasing your toilet like you did and
calling a plumber to have it done right the first time and
you wouldn't have wasted all your time and energy dealing
with your "bargain" install from the home center...

Chalk it up to a lesson learned I guess and move on...

~~ Evan

Right... now go out and *buy* and USE a dictionary.

LOL...

And just *which* words do you think I misspelled ?

~~ Evan

Sorry, my mistake. I assumed you could read.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan wrote in
:

On Feb 24, 10:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"yo" wrote

Received a call from the production services manager earlier who
said that he had spoken to the store manager and they are crediting
back my charges, including a charge for changing out the supply
valve.

Good for you. I hope the next fix works much better. We also
appreciate t

he
feedback as most people don't bother.

That depends on his batting average...

If the "plumber" in question has done 100 installs for Lowe's and
this is the first complaint then a 1% error ratio has still made
lots of install sales dollar volume for Lowe's...

Never assume that one complaint is enough to punch someone's
ticket...

~~ Evan

True. But you can't get to two complaints without it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
That depends on his batting average...

If the "plumber" in question has done 100 installs for Lowe's and
this is the first complaint then a 1% error ratio has still made
lots of install sales dollar volume for Lowe's...

Never assume that one complaint is enough to punch someone's
ticket...

~~ Evan

When just getting one or two complaints, that should not be enough to worry
about. There are some people that you just can not please.
Same way if only a few jobs have been done, Some will give good reviews to
shotty work, or maybe he did a good job for the first few just to get good
reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 10:25*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Evan" wrote in message

That depends on his batting average...
If the "plumber" in question has done 100 installs for Lowe's and
this is the first complaint then a 1% error ratio has still made
lots of install sales dollar volume for Lowe's...
Never assume that one complaint is enough to punch someone's
ticket...
~~ Evan

When just getting one or two complaints, that should not be enough to worry
about. *There are some people that you just can not please.
Same way if only a few jobs have been done, *Some will give good reviews to
shotty work, or maybe he did a good job for the first few just to get good
reviews.

In defense of this Lowe's, which seems to have a pretty good
reputation of working with customers, they said this plumber has been
doing work for them for 14 years. I had checked him out on the state
website and found that he is licensed and has had no complaints filed
with the state, so I decided to go with them. The installer that did
the original job seems to have just lacked the experience to recognize
what was necessary to do the job right. I am guessing that most
toilet installations are pretty straightforward with few challenges
that might result in problems. The installer did tell me however,
when I pressed him about the job that he did, that he had seen "lots"
of installs like the one I got. So maybe there are lots of people
out there who haven't discovered this site and just accept what
they're given.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

yo wrote:
On Mar 1, 10:06 am, Evan wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:18 am, yo wrote:

On Feb 24, 7:55 pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:09 pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

LOL... Lowe's isn't going to do anything about the install,
because you allowed the "technician" to leave after it was
completed...

snip
snip
You could have gotten to exactly the same place buy
selecting and purchasing your toilet like you did and
calling a plumber to have it done right the first time and
you wouldn't have wasted all your time and energy dealing
with your "bargain" install from the home center...

Chalk it up to a lesson learned I guess and move on...

~~ Evan

Right... now go out and *buy* and USE a dictionary.

LOL...

And just *which* words do you think I misspelled ?

~~ Evan

Sorry, my mistake. I assumed you could read.

There were no misspelled words in his post. Nor mistakes in grammar.

Lost track of antagonists here, but someone a bit upthread *did* type
"buy" when he meant "by."
Posted to alt.home.repair

yo wrote:

There were no misspelled words in his post. Nor mistakes in grammar.

You could have gotten to exactly the same place buy
selecting and purchasing your toilet like you did and

One of the guys on here I thought I'd never disagree with and over
such a trivial matter, but I didn't say there was anything
misspelled. There is however a mistake in the use of the word "buy".
A dictionary would have made clear that distinction.

I stand corrected and I apologize.

You were quite right to call attention to the flagrant misuse of the
language. Such things, if allowed to proceed unchecked, will be the
ruination of us all.

Keep up the good work, Sparky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 8:05*pm, yo wrote:
On Mar 1, 7:39*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

yo wrote:
On Mar 1, 10:06 am, Evan wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:18 am, yo wrote:

On Feb 24, 7:55 pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 24, 6:09 pm, yo wrote:
On Feb 23, 10:43 am, Evan wrote:

[...]

Perhaps someone can clarify something for me.
Why would the original installer not have simply
sat on the toilet to engage the wax ring? Oversized
or not, if it was at room temperature it should have
been pressed down, with the extra wax filling more
of the space.
The "plumber" was a knuckle-dragger.

Toilet install question yo[_4_] Home Repair 26 February 24th 11 11:28 PM
removing old toilet question- dont want to install new one just yet.. KOS Home Repair 29 February 19th 10 05:59 PM
Update on conduit install in sub panel stryped[_3_] Metalworking 3 November 17th 09 07:26 PM
Toilet install N O Home Repair 17 February 27th 08 12:02 AM
toilet install edee em Home Repair 1 July 12th 03 07:14 PM