Posted to alt.home.repair
N O N O is offline

Default Toilet install

Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 2:12*pm, (N O) wrote:
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

Maybe you can maybe you can`t, call around before you cant adjust
everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

N O wrote:
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

Long, long ago, the rough-in distance (wall to center of flange)
used to be 14" (or even 10"). For the last half-century,
it has been pretty standard at 12". Virtually all the
in-stock toilets you'll find at BigBox will be 12" rough-in.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

N O wrote:
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

You recall incorrectly. The correct distance is 12" centerline
of toilet flange to back wall, at least 15" centerline to side
wall or tub.

Some toilets are different, but 12" is standard.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N O" wrote in message
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

There should be a cut sheet for any toilet you buy. From my experience 12"
should be a go ( get it) you can ask at the big box store what the rough- in
should be for any water closet you are interested in but sometimes these
type of question will cause the salesman to fall into a fetal position
dazed and confused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N O" wrote in message
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

Go to the mfgr's web site & look for drawings!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 6:32 pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"N O" wrote in message

Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

Go to the mfgr's web site & look for drawings!

Standard rough in is 12". 10" and 14" toilets are also available.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N O N O is offline

Toilet install

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 12:00am (EST+5) From:
There should be a cut sheet for any toilet you buy. From my experience
12" should be a go ( get it) you can ask at the big box store what the
rough- in should be for any water closet you are interested in but
sometimes these type of question will cause the salesman to fall into a
fetal position dazed and confused.

==============

With the building slow down in this part of the country, there seems to
be a bit more knowledge on hand at these stores than usual (which isn't
really saying much). Too bad they're so damn ****ed off all the time
though..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Just to clarify for OP:

The 15" side clearance is a Building Code requirement
for clear space and has nothing to do with the 12"
rough-in spec for the toilet.
http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/19980202

Jim

Exactly. Typical toilet tank is about 20" wide, but you need some clearance
on the sides for your ass to hang over and to be able to reach around with
the TT. When we put in a new washing machine in the downstairs bathroom,
it was wider than the old one and brings the clearance down to 29". I'd not
want to get any narrower than that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 02:52:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Jim

Exactly. Typical toilet tank is about 20" wide, but you need some clearance
on the sides for your ass to hang over and to be able to reach around with
the TT. When we put in a new washing machine in the downstairs bathroom,
it was wider than the old one and brings the clearance down to 29". I'd not
want to get any narrower than that.

I was staying at the house of the mother of a friend in Europe, and
she had the arms on one toilet to help her sit down and stand up. It
made the seat area so narrow, I couldn't separate my legs at all and I
couldn't go from the front or back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"N O" wrote

Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

I think you are looking at older specs and the newer ones are 12 inches.
You have an installed drain there already right and are just replacing
around it? Don't fret. Just measure then go to the local hardware store
with the measurements.

My house was built in 1962 with the bigger older toilets. I probably have
that 14 inch. When we replaced the toilets with the newer 'low flow' they
sit smaller and there's a bit of extra space behind the tank. Harmless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N O" wrote in message
Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've
read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the
toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in
trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..?
Tanks..

Twelve (actually 11.5" is the absolute minimum) from the wall to the center
of the flange (where the bolt heads are) is the standard in US residential
construction.

There are some old ones out there where it is only 10".

If you need some tips on doing the job, see my sig line. Pictures are on
the way for the articles.

--
Colbyt