Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Update on conduit install in sub panel

I started to drill a hole with my 2 1/2 inch hole saw last night into
the top plate. I realized it is probably a double 2x4 top plate. Can I
just take a saws all and after drilling a hole completely through with
a long drill bit use the saw to cut a 2.5 inch x 4 inch square or so
in the top plate so I can fish the conduit down?

I also noticed that the people that put my small heat pump/air
conditioning unit for my bonus room went through the top plate in
about the same place I need to drill. They ran a 12-2 and 10- 2 wire
into the wall. (No conduit). Inside that cavity is the back of a
shower enclosure. When I looked, the back of the shower enclosure has
a metal strip attached to it all the way down with scres pointing out.
(I guess for the enclosure to attache to a wall or somethign.). They
are not sticking into anything. I am wondering while I am doing all
this if I should run those 2 cables in conduit to keep them away from
the screws or am I worryign over nothing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:03:10 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

[...]

Drill as deep as you can with the hole saw, use a screw driver to pry
out the slug. Then drill some more. Run a drywall screw in a few
threads for a handle to lift out the slug if needed.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. About the only easy way to do it.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 6:03*am, stryped wrote:
I started to drill a hole with my 2 1/2 inch hole saw last night into
the top plate. I realized it is probably a double 2x4 top plate.

The hole saw bottoms out when the waste is still attached,
eh? Just pull off the hole saw and (with a chisel) chip out the
waste, then have at it again. You get better chip
clearance if you do this in several stages.