Jack Hayes

Default Onan DJE generator update (electrical panel)

"Ignoramus30505" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:57:39 GMT, Martin Riddle

wrote:

Looks good. I found that epoxy paint makes a good water-proofer on
wood and should hold up to oil as well.

Thanks for the tip. I will use that. Is it available at home depot?
Here are the photos of the electrical panel that I just made:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/panel/

It has a bunch of nice military surplus gauges and 2 120V outlets and
1 220V outlet.

I am going to connect it now and then I will be ready to give this
genset a good load test outdoors.

I may add more gauges later, the 12V voltmeter, an hourmeter, and fuel
tank level gauge.

Cheers

"Ignoramus22980" wrote in message

Metalworkers and woodworkers may be interested in the cushioned
carriage that I built for this generator.

See he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/Carriage/

Some closeups reveal detais on how it is mounted. Basically everything
where there is a tearing sort of stress, is bolted.

The generator runs great, although it is missing the shutoff switch. I
switch it off by hand by pressing on the fuel shutoff lever. I ordered
a new solenoid from an FW Murphy dealer and hope to get one on Monday
and screw around with it. The pleasant surprise is that, even in its
current shape, it is basically not very loud, not louder than my
snowblower. I will run both tomorrow and compare to know for sure.

So, with some extra soundproofing, I may end up with something nice
finally.

When it runs, the top platform vibrates a lot, the bottom one vibrates
a lot less. I plan on having it lifted off the ground a bit, like on
blocks, for the final installation. I can move it about and turn it by
lifting one side. Thanks to all my deadlift exercises.

I will give the genset a good load test tomorrow and will build the
electrical panel.

Does this generator have slip rings and brushes, or is it brushless?

Jack ( 2 old Onan 3KW Diesels)

Pete C.

My assessment would be that those steady state frequency numbers
indicate that the governor is working pretty well, but could possibly
stand some tweaking.

You'll never get rid of short dips and peaks around the addition or
removal of large loads, but afer a second or two of settling you should
be able to get back to the target frequency. +/- a couple Hz is good for
a small generator and certainly well within the tollerance of just about
anything you'd have in a typical house. Larger generators have moch more
sophisticated governors than the mechanical ones on small sets and can
hold the freequency tighter. Those larger sets also have the benefit of
larger flywheels and more headroom on the enging capacity.

About the only thing in a typical house that would be affected by minor
frequency variations would be timers that used AC syncronus motors for
their drive, like those in typical landscape lighting transformers, and
the only affect is that they would gain or loose a little time while on
the generator. Old electric clocks would have the same effects.

What you really need is to record the instantaneous lows and highs when
large loads are added and removed. The amount of undershoot and duration
will tell you how well the engine/governor takes on the load, and the
overshoot on removal and it's duration will tell you how quickly the
governor reacts.

If the engine was able to take and hold the full load without complaints
then I'd say it's probably in good shape. The oil pressure sounds quite
reasonable.

So where do I find one of these, and how much? I'd love to stick one on
the front of my 24' auto / cargo trailer. The extended shaft version
that Onan makes for bucket truck hydraulics would be nice, but I've only
seen that in gas.

Pete C.

Ignoramus30505 wrote:

Just gave this beast a good load test, and have some numbers from the
frequency readout. It has a 6kW/7kVa rating on the nameplate. Onan
DJE, 70 cubic inches air cooled diesel. Made in 1978 (younger than me)

Load test:

4.5 kW 220V water heater element
1.5 KW electric kettle
1.5 KW electric room heater

At idle, the frequency is about 61.5 Hz.
At 4.5kw load, it is about 59 Hz.
At 7 kw load, it is about 58.5 Hz.

After it warms up, even at 7 kW, there is relatively little smoke in
exhaust. When it is warming up, there is more smoke. After it becomes
warm, the smoke goes away.

The oil pressure starts out at around 50, and after warming up, drops
to about 40, and goes even lower to about 38 or so as load increases.

The genset could hold on to the 7kW output for a few minutes.

It was not very loud, and visibly a lot of noise was coming out from
my improper muffler configuration -- a very long flexible exhaust hose
leading to the muffler, which is wrong. Muff should be close to the
exhaust.

I am interested in any conclusions from the frequency and oil pressure
as to whether this genset is in a good condition.

On 11 Dec 2004 18:10:38 GMT, Ignoramus30505 wrote:
[...]

Greg O

"Ignoramus30505" wrote in message

I am interested in any conclusions from the frequency and oil pressure
as to whether this genset is in a good condition.

Most likely all is fine. You will get some RPM droop with a mechanical
governor, so the 61-59 hertz droop is normal. As far as the oild pressure it
is probably fine.
Greg

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Ignoramus30505 wrote:

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:33:18 -0500, Jack Hayes wrote:

Does this generator have slip rings and brushes, or is it brushless?

Jack ( 2 old Onan 3KW Diesels)

I have no idea. I only have manuals for engines. Great question.

Looks like you are on your way. The figures that you posted are ALL
within normal operating Specs for DJB/E gensets. All of the DJx Series
gensets have brushes and sliprings. Onan din't start using Brushless
generators till after the DJx and MDJx series were designed.

Jack, just what model of Onan 3Kw's do you own?

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @