Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default removing old toilet question- dont want to install new one just yet..

Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Stuff an old rag in it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Cut a piece of 1/2' plywood to cover the flange and put a couple holes
in it. Make a gasket to put between flange and plywood then bolt it
where the toilet bolts down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2010 9:11 AM, KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Great use of those plastic grocery store
bags. Stuff one bag with several more
and it makes a real nice, tight fitting
plug.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 8:57*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/18/2010 9:11 AM, KOS wrote: Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. *Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Great use of those plastic grocery store
bags. *Stuff one bag with several more
and it makes a real nice, tight fitting
plug.

Or, use one bag that is waterproof and stuff it with old newspapers,
rags, or anything else that isn't alive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

A rag usually does the trick for me but I realize sewer gas can be a bigger
problem some places than it is in others.

I find that an empty plastic soda bottle partially filled with water works
well. Can't recall right this minute but feel pretty sure it was a 20 ounce
one.

Then if you still smell or feel anything add a little duct tape.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:34:04 -0800, Ed Mc
wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Cut a piece of 1/2' plywood to cover the flange and put a couple holes
in it. Make a gasket to put between flange and plywood then bolt it
where the toilet bolts down.

3/4" plywood would be stronger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. *Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Cut a piece of 1/2' plywood to cover the flange and put a couple holes
in it. Make a gasket to put between flange and plywood then bolt it
where the toilet bolts down.

3/4" plywood would be stronger.

Only needed if the OP is a moron and steps on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Cut a piece of 1/2' plywood to cover the flange and put a couple holes
in it. Make a gasket to put between flange and plywood then bolt it
where the toilet bolts down.

3/4" plywood would be stronger.

Got elephants running loose in the room? It doesn't take much to
cover a hole and if you're not walking on it, it requires no strength.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote the following:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Duct tape, and put a piece of wood, or an empty bucket over the hole to
prevent people from stepping into the hole.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

If you have a large plastic lid to a Crisco can or a large coffee can that
will work. That's what I use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would that be "towel", since it's a 4 inch
opening?

One fellow I met. Stuffed a foam coffee cup in the
opening. he said that worked well, to block the
sewer gasses. Got the job done, pulled the flush
handle and flooded the bathroom. Neglected to take
the foam cup out of the drain before installing
the wax ring and toilet. Oops.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dadiOH" wrote in message
KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can
have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is
their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses
dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new
toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Stuff an old rag in it.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the term is "cut the muster" but I could
be mistaykin.

I've also used shopping handle sack bag, and then
wrap electric tape around the tube and bag, to
hold the bag

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"homer" wrote in
message

That didnt cut the mustard with my toilet.

I removed my toilet for a remodeling job and I
shoved a rag in it.
There was just a draft blowing down from the vent
that even with the
rag, fumers were blowing out of the hole. I had
to first lay a
plastic sheet over the hole and THEN shove a rag
down it to stop the
draft. The plastic acted as a air barrier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doubles as surgical anaesthetic technique. Hmm.
Patient looks uncomfortable. More duct tape around
the gas mask.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in
message

Then if you still smell or feel anything add a
little duct tape.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

EPA permit, $25,000.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Cut a piece of 1/2' plywood to cover the flange
and put a couple holes
in it. Make a gasket to put between flange and
plywood then bolt it
where the toilet bolts down.

3/4" plywood would be stronger.

Carbon fiber and epoxy molded to an exact airtight
fit may be called
for here. And don't forget about sensitive methane
monitoring
equipment!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Go to the hardware store or plumbing outlet and ask for a plug...They make
them just for that purpose...You can also get one for your sink pipe...Seen
them MANY times on jobsites...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Doubles as surgical anaesthetic technique. Hmm.
Patient looks uncomfortable. More duct tape around
the gas mask.

Loved it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Would that be "towel", since it's a 4 inch
opening?

One fellow I met. Stuffed a foam coffee cup in the
opening. he said that worked well, to block the
sewer gasses. Got the job done, pulled the flush
handle and flooded the bathroom. Neglected to take
the foam cup out of the drain before installing
the wax ring and toilet. Oops.

A recycled coffee cup was what they always used on the apartment
construction sites when I was a wee lad, until the plumber started
buying the flanges with the knockout plugs in them. The knockout had
ears that extended over the bolt holes, to keep sleeping installers from
dropping a toilet over it with the plug in place. It wasn't a vapor or
water seal they were seeking, they just wanted to keep debris out, and
keep lazy tradesman from skipping the walk to the porta-potty.

Some things I learned the first week doing construction cleanup- if you
see a used drywall bucket with the lid on it- Don't Open It. Just
carefully throw the whole damn thing on the back of the dump truck. And
stick your head around the corner in closets before you hook the push
broom in there, looking for roach coach milk cartons with the top closed
back up. Slide the scoop shovel under them, and carefully drop in the
trash barrel without touching them.

On a large construction site, the veneer of civilization amongst the
trades was downright flimsy in spots.

But as to OP's situation. A rag works, or if there are kids on site, one
of those purpose-made plugs with the twist bolt in the middle. Those are
the best way, if there are other active toilets in the house.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
On 2/18/2010 9:11 AM, KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

Great use of those plastic grocery store bags. Stuff one bag with several
more and it makes a real nice, tight fitting plug.

Better would be that condom in your wallet since high school. Finally, a
use for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:32:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I think the term is "cut the muster" but I could
be mistaykin.

YOu're not the only one who thinks this, but apparently no.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cut_the_muster
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cut-the-mustard.html
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/nonerrors.html

I've also used shopping handle sack bag, and then
wrap electric tape around the tube and bag, to
hold the bag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 9:11*am, KOS wrote:
Hi, want to remove an old toilet so that I can have access to repair
the bathroom walls. *Once I remove the toilet is their a device that I
can buy to put over the opening so that gasses dont get released into
the bathroom.. I dont want to install a new toilet just yet, I have
work to do on the walls. Thanks
KOS

If the toilet is in the basement and you have problems with water
backing up
then tie the rag to a rope before shoving it in the hole.
It is possible that the rising water can suck the rag into the pipe
and then you could have major
problems.

Toilet install N O Home Repair 17 February 27th 08 12:02 AM
New Toilet install - no shut off valve in supply line [email protected] Home Repair 13 July 25th 07 05:07 AM
install toilet on concrete slab [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 28th 07 11:05 PM
Toilet install / Guiness book of records Frisket UK diy 5 February 28th 04 11:29 PM
toilet install edee em Home Repair 1 July 12th 03 07:14 PM