Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Worst U.S. religious nuts

Thanks, Doof. I've not found that pushing does
much good. Just encourages people to push back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Oh come on, Stormie doesn't push his faith obnoxiously like
some of my
Southern Baptist cousins who make up half my family. They're
my Jesus
Freaks so I have a right to pick on them since they can
drive you nuts.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Worst U.S. blizzards (now: volcano measuring)

Mikey on a smoke break:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs37/f/20..._formalART.jpg

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

"OK, who's going to measure the CO2 output of
the volcano today?" "Not me, I'm not going near
that thing again." "Hey, I know, get Mikey to do
it!" "Hey Mikey, want to dress up like a spaceman
and go check the CO2 output of the volcano?"
"Look! Mikey, he likes it!" :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Worst U.S. blizzards

Jeff Thies wrote:

It looks to me that the PDO and other Pacific conditions contributed
to cooling the *last* decade. In spite of that the climate warmed.

You simply can not pump that much CO2 into the air and have it's
contribution be negligible. Roy Spencer argues that nobody knows what
the climate sensitivity is and there are possible negative feedbacks
to the increased CO2 and warming. But it it seems more likely that
there are more significant positive feedbacks. Atmospheric methane is
on the rise, particularly in the Arctic. I think it is no coincidence
that the tundra is thawing which is a substantial methane sink. Much
of the highly reflective ice cover is gone also.

The arctic will tell what our climate is going to do. And the signs
there are very bad. There is increasing science that the collapse of
the arctic shelves is a strong factor in no longer containing the Jet
Stream to largely meredial flows. Ice in Dallas, well the Jet Stream
dipped all the way down to Mexico! No wonder.

In effect the arctic icebox has been opened up. Get used to it.

This is climate change. You can argue over how much of it is
anthropogenic. Just because we can do nothing about solar flux, then
we should do nothing about the factors we do have control over?

Jeff

Let's see, Jeff. You said:

"It looks to me..." "Roy Spencer argues that nobody knows..." "But it seems
more likely..." "I think it is no coincidence..." Rational statements, but
they come down to "we don't know for sure."

As to your last question, the answer is an unequivocal YES, we SHOULD do
NOTHING about the factors we can control when so doing will involve
one-sixth of our nation's economy.

No, wait; that's health care!

Still, what would it cost to replace over 17,000 coal, oil, and natural gas
generators in the United States. At $1 billion each*, pretty soon we're
talking real money.

And that's just power plants. Don't get me started on breathing!

-------
* Latest estimate from Duke Energy to build an 800-megawatt generating
station.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2011 11:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks, Doof. I've not found that pushing does
much good. Just encourages people to push back.

Well heck, it's the truth. You bug the heck out of most
people by top posting but you don't push your faith any
more than a lot of other folks. If you irritate people
with one behavior, they'll accuse you of having nefarious
motivations for any other quirks. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

All evens out, eventually. BTW, have you read the Book of
Mormon lately?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 2/2/2011 11:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Thanks, Doof. I've not found that pushing does
much good. Just encourages people to push back.

Well heck, it's the truth. You bug the heck out of most
people by top posting but you don't push your faith any
more than a lot of other folks. If you irritate people
with one behavior, they'll accuse you of having nefarious
motivations for any other quirks. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2011 8:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
All evens out, eventually. BTW, have you read the Book of
Mormon lately?

Nope, not really interested but I won't abuse anyone who is
interested. I do my best to respect anyone's faith until I'm
given a reason not to. I love seeing the reaction and look on
the faces of persistent proselytizers when I tell them I'm a
Satanist and start hissing at them. I hate that I have to do
it to them but it's about the only way to make them go away.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 5:57*am, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

s.com...

On 1/29/2011 5:55 PM spake thus:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:35:34 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

A little perspective for those in the Northeast and sick of
snow.http://tinyurl.com/4lufyy8

So, how's all that global warming working for you?

Weather extremes are expected symptoms.

So is *anything* that happens. *No matter what happens, hot/cold,
wet/dry,
hurricanes/calm, it's the expected symptoms of global warming.

OK, Mr. Global Climate Change Denier, I say let's have this conversation
in, oh, 5 years, after all doubt has been removed (and we're even closer
to, or past, the "tipping point").

Until then, it's you, Fox News and (most of) the Repugnant Party that's in
the minority against an overwhelming consensus of scientific opinion (or
what the deniers call "bullying").

Hell, even our previous Governator, Ahnold S., was convinced of
anthropogenic climate change. You haven't got much of a leg to stand on
here.

" in the minority against an overwhelming consensus of scientific opinion "

Consensus of opinion, scientific of not is NOT science. *Galileo was
imprisoned because he thought the world was round, against all
consensus of scientific opinion.

Second, this consensus *of opinion is a myth. *It is the other way
around.

Bob-tx

Guess what you have in common with the folks that persecuted Galileo.

-C-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 5:15*pm, Dean Hoffman wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
OK, Mr. Global Climate Change Denier, I say let's have this conversation
in, oh, 5 years, after all doubt has been removed (and we're even closer
to, or past, the "tipping point").

Until then, it's you, Fox News and (most of) the Repugnant Party that's
in the minority against an overwhelming consensus of scientific opinion
(or what the deniers call "bullying").

Hell, even our previous Governator, Ahnold S., was convinced of
anthropogenic climate change. You haven't got much of a leg to stand on
here.

* * * *The earth has been warming and cooling for tens, maybe hundreds
of thousands of years. *It doesn't make sense to me to blame this
current warming on man. * Other things evidently caused it before. *Why
not this time?
* *A link here to ice core data from central Greenland:
*http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9bpgco
* The link is to a site called Wattsupwiththat.

That's true. And there were reasons for the Earth's warming and
cooling. Can you point to any of the events from the past that caused
the Earth to warm that is happening today?

-C-
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Variable solar flux.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Solar output isn't constant as krw mentioned. I read recently
that no one is really sure how clouds affect the earth's temperature. I
think the article said even the IPCC admitted their ignorance on the
subject.
I wonder what the time lag is for a temperature change from either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

stuff snipped

It's just a saying, Jeff. I am so tired of millions of Chicken Littles
running around on their bicycles eating tofu and wailing about the

weather.
I personally spend about one second a week thinking of it on the average.

The question was directed at each person to provoke thought. I do know we
are headed towards a precipice, but the momentum of the masses will take

us
over the edge before the resistance of the sane can slow things down. As
long as there's enough gas in the car to go get more beer, most people are
ignorantly happy.

I look at it this way. With Pakistan having nearly 100 nukes and Iran
working furiously to get the bomb, we've got far more to worry about than
changing weather patterns.

I think part of the problem is that a certain number of people, for whatever
reason, believe that things should always stay the same. No species can be
allowed to go extinct, though throughout history species have been going
extinct at a pretty impressive clip. There's a seeming sentiment that this
world, these coastlines, these weather patterns and all that goes with them
should now be frozen forever as the ideal status quo. That's just crazy.

We got where we are as a species *because* we were able to adapt to
everything that nature threw at us. I suspect we'll have to learn to adapt
to changing weather, whether it's caused by man, God, nature, aliens or
sunspots. I predict someday that the pipes that now bring natural gas to
people's houses will be used to deliver oxygen and the rich will be
breathing cans of Perri-air like in Spaceballs. (-:

Besides, any day the Yellowstone supervolcano could erupt again and make
everything we're worrying about now completely academic. California's money
problems will be solved by 2 feet of black ash. Hell, the seismic shock of
the eruption could make the new West Coast shoreline run through Utah. Anyo
ne who's seen footage of Pinatubo (a pimple compared to Yellowstone's
potential) blowing its stack has some idea how bad a supervolcano explosion
could be for the entire western half of the US (and Canada!).

--
Bobby G.