Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT. Worst U.S. blizzards

"Steve B" wrote in message

stuff snipped

It's just a saying, Jeff. I am so tired of millions of Chicken Littles
running around on their bicycles eating tofu and wailing about the

weather.
I personally spend about one second a week thinking of it on the average.

The question was directed at each person to provoke thought. I do know we
are headed towards a precipice, but the momentum of the masses will take

us
over the edge before the resistance of the sane can slow things down. As
long as there's enough gas in the car to go get more beer, most people are
ignorantly happy.

I look at it this way. With Pakistan having nearly 100 nukes and Iran
working furiously to get the bomb, we've got far more to worry about than
changing weather patterns.

I think part of the problem is that a certain number of people, for whatever
reason, believe that things should always stay the same. No species can be
allowed to go extinct, though throughout history species have been going
extinct at a pretty impressive clip. There's a seeming sentiment that this
world, these coastlines, these weather patterns and all that goes with them
should now be frozen forever as the ideal status quo. That's just crazy.

We got where we are as a species *because* we were able to adapt to
everything that nature threw at us. I suspect we'll have to learn to adapt
to changing weather, whether it's caused by man, God, nature, aliens or
sunspots. I predict someday that the pipes that now bring natural gas to
people's houses will be used to deliver oxygen and the rich will be
breathing cans of Perri-air like in Spaceballs. (-:

Besides, any day the Yellowstone supervolcano could erupt again and make
everything we're worrying about now completely academic. California's money
problems will be solved by 2 feet of black ash. Hell, the seismic shock of
the eruption could make the new West Coast shoreline run through Utah. Anyo
ne who's seen footage of Pinatubo (a pimple compared to Yellowstone's
potential) blowing its stack has some idea how bad a supervolcano explosion
could be for the entire western half of the US (and Canada!).

--
Bobby G.