Posted to alt.home.repair

Default InSinkErator Disposer Housing Cracked

I'd never run into this failure before, have any of you?

SWMBO reported finding water on the floor of the cabinet under the
kitchen sink at 10:30 PM one evening last week.

Taking a look see with a flashlight and mirror I spotted a vertical
crack in the backside of the black PVC upper housing of the garbage
disposer, running from near the top down to where it mated with the
motor housing.

Water was seeping through that crack anytime a liberal amount of H2O was
poured down the drain.

I dried the housing off and covered the crack with silicone caulk so we
could still use the sink (without running the disposal) for a day or so
until I could pick up a replacement disposal.

The cracked disposal was a bottom of the line InSinkErator and my notes
on the saved instruction sheet and receipt told me I'd installed it
seven years ago. Not too bad a run for a $59.95 unit.

So, I bought another low end InSinkErator (A "Badger 1") which appeared
identical to the failed one in all respects save one, The price had
increased to $79.95 at the same big box store I'd bought the old one at. G

Swapping it in was a snap job and If I get seven years out of this one
too I'll be happy that I'm still on the right side of the grass and able
to change it out again.

Momentary angnst when I flipped the disposal's wall switch on and
nothing happened. That's when I realalized a first hand exposure to a
ground fault breaker tripping because I'd shorted the neutral to ground
while wiring the Romex power feed into the new disposal and didn't think
about the instant hot water dispenser which was intermittently drawing
power from the same circuit the disposal was on. G

Has anyone else encountered a cracked PVC housing on one of those
cheapie disposals? I have no direct knowledge of anyone putting
something like a rock into it and running the disposal for a while so
the rock kept whacking the housing, but you never know.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:40:50 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

[...]

I should learn by now that things usually don't work on the first try
for a reason like that. I have learned that a bit and sometimes don't
have the sinking feeling I used to.

Has anyone else encountered a cracked PVC housing on one of those
cheapie disposals? I have no direct knowledge of anyone putting
something like a rock into it and running the disposal for a while so
the rock kept whacking the housing, but you never know.

I have nothing but cheapie disposals, but OTOH, if it has a badger
inside, how cheap could it be. They are really good at shredding
things.

Was the crack at the weld? IIRC, the case is a piece of sheet metal
wrapped into a circule and welded.

Mine have failed when the bearings or something rusted and it wouldn't
rotate..

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd never run into this failure before, have any of you?

SWMBO reported finding water on the floor of the cabinet under the
kitchen sink at 10:30 PM one evening last week.

Taking a look see with a flashlight and mirror I spotted a vertical
crack in the backside of the black PVC upper housing of the garbage
disposer, running from near the top down to where it mated with the
motor housing.

Water was seeping through that crack anytime a liberal amount of H2O was
poured down the drain.

I've had one Badger model leak. Water was leaking from around the
reset button at the bottom of the unit. Don't recall the housing
being cracked, though. I surmised a seal around/at the motor shaft
gave way that caused the leak.

Other than that one instance, no other problems using them in 15 years
at several homes.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote

Has anyone else encountered a cracked PVC housing on one of those cheapie
disposals? I have no direct knowledge of anyone putting something like a
rock into it and running the disposal for a while so the rock kept
whacking the housing, but you never know.

Jeff

ANY hard object, or even an small piece can blow out a hole or make a crack
in the outer housing, no matter how much you watch what you put in there.
I've replaced two with dime sized holes blown in them, and never did see the
offending particle.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, as I said in my OP, the housing which cracked was PVC (black
plastic), and I probably could have tried to "weld" the crack with a
soldering iron and a scrap piece of PVC, but I doubt if the repair would
have held up for very long.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Mine have failed when the bearings or something rusted and it wouldn't
rotate..

Posted to alt.home.repair

mmm,
You mean that El Cheapo model was made with PVC body? Hard to believe
even if it was low end model. We always had ISE units, Average life was
15 years. I replaced them when wife complained the grinder blades are
not sharp. I just put one, model 555 in April and this is
mucho quieter. It was an exact direct replacement of what I had and ISE
tech support is second to none. Real warm body answering within a minute
with experience and knowledge, no kidding.

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote

Has anyone else encountered a cracked PVC housing on one of those cheapie
disposals? I have no direct knowledge of anyone putting something like a
rock into it and running the disposal for a while so the rock kept
whacking the housing, but you never know.

Jeff

ANY hard object, or even an small piece can blow out a hole or make a crack
in the outer housing, no matter how much you watch what you put in there.
I've replaced two with dime sized holes blown in them, and never did see the
offending particle.

Steve

I remember from my yoot, maybe around 1950, going to a home show with my
folks and watching a salesman demo a garbage disposer on a display table.

There was no water used, but the sales guy kept dropping glass marbles
into the running disposer and a few seconds later powdered glass came
out of the discharge tube.

Undoubtedly it was NOT a machine with a PVC upper housing back then. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 11:55*am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote

[...]

The speed of light is 1.8*10e12 furlongs per fortnight.- Hide quoted text -

Ah...did you say "yoot"? What's a yoot? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 1:40*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
[...]

The only leak I've ever had from a GD was from a cheapo Kenmore when
the bottom of the metal housing rusted out.

Replaced it with an InSinkErator Evolution Compact and couldn't be
happier. Bought one for my mom when her old Kenmore started leaking.

Very powerful and very quiet. So quiet that I installed a lighted
switch for my parents so they wouldn't forget to turn it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:55 am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote

[...]

See:

http://www99.epinions.com/review/mvi...nt_39849528964

One of the characters ibn that movie consistantly mispronounced "youth"
as "yoot".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:55 am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

-snip-

I remember from my yoot, maybe around 1950,

-snip-

Ah...did you say "yoot"? What's a yoot? ;-)

See:

http://www99.epinions.com/review/mvi...nt_39849528964

One of the characters ibn that movie consistantly mispronounced "youth"
as "yoot".

And if I remember correctly the judge said
"Did you say 'Yoot'? What's a yoot."

That's about all I remember from the movie. g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 1:34*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:55 am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

-snip-

I remember from my yoot, maybe around 1950,

-snip-

Ah...did you say "yoot"? What's a yoot? ;-)

See:

http://www99.epinions.com/review/mvi...nt_39849528964

One of the characters ibn that movie consistantly mispronounced "youth"
as "yoot".

And if I remember correctly the judge said
"Did you say 'Yoot'? *What's a yoot."

That's about all I remember from the movie. *g

Jim

Why do you think I used the quote I used?

To be more accurate, it was "yoots" (plural) since Joe Pesci was
defending "Oh, excuse me, your honor, two *youths*" at the time.

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/x...i-Fred-Gwynne-

It's not something I'm overly proud of, but I could probably quote 75%
of that movie.

I've lost track of how many times my wife and 2 daughters have watched
it, but it's well over 50 times...and every time they watch it, I gain
a little more 'knowledge" about it.

Vinny: How many fingers am I holding up?" (He holds up 2 fingers)

Judge: Let the record show that the counselor is holding up two
fingers.

Vinny: Your Honor, please, huh?

Judge: Oh. Sorry.

Vinny: Now, Mrs. Reilly - and only Mrs. Reilly - how many fingers am I
holding up now?

(He holds up two fingers)

Mrs. Reilly: Four.

Vinny: What do you think now, dear?

Mrs. Reilly: I'm thinking of getting thicker glasses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:56:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 18, 1:34*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:55 am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Vinny:"What's this over here?"

Cook:"You never heard of grits?"

Vinny: "Sure, sure I heard of grits, I just actually never seen a grit
before."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote

[...]

In my yoot, occasionally my Dad would put a small beer bottle down it. He
said it cleaned off the blades. It always went down. He then put a whole
lemon in there, and it took longer to eat the lemon.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Oct 18, 1:34 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:55 am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

-snip-

[...]

reply:

My Cousin Vinny and Groundhog Day never seem to get old to me. Forrest
Gump, Good Will Hunting, Scrooged, I could go on for about ten movies that
fit your description. Blazing Saddles, he he he. Couldn't be made with
today's PC crap. Glad they got it in the can when they could. History of
the World, "I LOVE double time HARCH!" "It's good to be king."

LOL

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in
:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote

[...]

I hope my youngin remember that dad loaded up the disposal with ice cubes
to clean it.

If not, will remember that I had a fish tank. When they expired or it was
inevitable, they went in the "Pet Cemetery". I recall a couple of large
fish gave me trouble. The disposal won in the end.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 4:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Oct 18, 1:34 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/x...-Pesci-My-Cous...

[...]

Otter: But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the
behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then
shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole
fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our
educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't
this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do
whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to
you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!
[Leads the Deltas out of the hearing, all humming the Star-Spangled
Banner]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a J.B.Weld moment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, just found the exact same thing with an Insinkerator Badger 5 (1/2 HP) which I think came with this house built 7 years ago, so it's had a good run of its own--like you there is a vertical crack in the PVC housing between the unit and sink. I'm drying it all out right now because the first thing that came to mind is what the last guy below said "Sounds like a JB Weld moment". If that doesn't hold long, it does look like it costs about $79.95 for a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yes, just found the exact same thing with an Insinkerator Badger 5 (1/2
HP) which I think came with this house built 7 years ago, so it's had a
good run of its own--like you there is a vertical crack in the PVC
housing between the unit and sink. I'm drying it all out right now
because the first thing that came to mind is what the last guy below said
"Sounds like a JB Weld moment". If that doesn't hold long, it does look
like it costs about $79.95 for a new one.

I can't see the original post that you are responding to, but I have a
suggestion...

Instead of the Badger line from InSinkErator take a look at the Evolution
line. The Evolution series includes much more sound insulation is
considerably quieter than the Badger line. Sure, they may cost more, but I
think it's worth it.

My Evolution GD is so quiet that sometimes I forget it's on until I turn
the water off. When I installed one for my elderly parents, I included a
switch with a light so they can visually tell if the unit is on or not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 10:40:50 AM UTC-7, jeff_wisnia wrote:
[...]

Same vertical cracks in the same location you described and it has been about 7-8 years. Irritating but it was a cheap disposal. May upgrade this time since water stains in cabinet caused by leak are really annoying!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Where did you dig up that nearly 6 year old post of mine?

I guess it's true what they say, watch what you say on the internet, it
never disappears completely.

FWIW the cheaspie disposal I described installing as a replacement back
then is still holding up and doing its thing.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2015 11:10:17 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Where did you dig up that nearly 6 year old post of mine?

I guess it's true what they say, watch what you say on the internet, it
never disappears completely.

FWIW the cheaspie disposal I described installing as a replacement back
then is still holding up and doing its thing.

Jeff

There is one or more idiots reposting the old archives from google
groups on alt.home.repair at a rate of at least 2 posts a day.
Most seem to originate from flashnewsgroups.com. They all use random
user names.

Why anyone does this makes little sense to me!

I dont reply to any of them.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well even years later I found this thread useful and it didn't show up from any other sources in my search results.

Back on topic: Had hairline vertical crack in the upper housing of a Badger 1. About 2 inches long. Thought I'd try a patch-it approach before replacement. ~$5 and 10 minutes later I had an ugly wad of epoxy putty (the "plumbing" kind from a well recognized brand) covering the crack. Couple weeks after the "repair" and it's holding.

FTR the GD doesn't get heavy use.

wrote:

Where did you dig up that nearly 6 year old post of mine?

I guess it's true what they say, watch what you say on the internet, it
never disappears completely.

FWIW the cheaspie disposal I described installing as a replacement back
then is still holding up and doing its thing.

Jeff

There is one or more idiots reposting the old archives from google
groups on alt.home.repair at a rate of at least 2 posts a day.
Most seem to originate from flashnewsgroups.com. They all use random
user names.

Why anyone does this makes little sense to me!

I dont reply to any of them.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also have a Badger model 5 with a crack that sprayed leakage onto the back wall under the sink. Interesting it seems to happen on the back side. Thanks to all for history on this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jeff_wisnia, Mike wrote:
Just found a cracked housing on mine

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ed-584625-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 20:14:02 GMT, Mike
m wrote:

Just found a cracked housing on mine

**** happens. Develop a strategic plan and articulate what your plans
are for the future.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/18/2017 4:14 PM, Mike wrote:
replying to jeff_wisnia, Mike wrote:
Just found a cracked housing on mine

Seven years later, Jeff would like to meet you, have a beer, and compare
cracks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just replaced mine today it had several cracks in it but only 1 was leaking.thankfully i had a water alarm under the sink and it alerted me to the water