Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2010 10:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

I haven't used this stuff but some folks swear by it. I would
cut the vinyl from the rusted part, sand off the rust and
re-coat.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=2890818

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks TDD, but I am missing a bunch of tines. No product repair can fix
that!! LOL

Any thoughts on my questions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2010 12:18 AM, Larry B wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

I do a lot of brazing of copper mostly but I have used my torch
set to braze steel. If you're handy with an oxygen/acetylene
torch, you could make new tines, braze them on and re-coat the
rack. You could cruse the local pawn shops to find a refrigeration
torch set that HVAC and refrigeration techs use or buy one new
from Harbor Freight. It could be an excuse to obtain a very useful
set of tools depending on how much you're willing to spend on a
learning experience. I'm always coming across various broken things
that require simple repairs that I happen to have thousands of
dollars worth of tools I can use to repair them with. I've spent
many years building a tool collection and am always looking for an
excuse to pick up another one. 8-)

There used to be a sheet metal shop in town run by a crusty old
crazy man I was great friends with and I could go in and come
out with all sorts of metal parts made out of stuff he tossed in
the scrap bin, I sure do miss that place.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

Tenant abuse, shoving stuff in every which way, include engine parts
from the car they rebuilt. Many landlords regard DWs, like the WW
carpet, as an expendable, and just count on replacing between tenants.
I'd add it to the move-in/move-out inspection list for the next tenant,
so you can deduct from deposit as being more than 'normal wear and tear'
for anybody there less than 5-7 years.

If the DW is otherwise intact, I'd surf CraigsList, FreeCycle, and the
local Habitat ReStore for one with matching or 'close enough' racks.
Perhaps the local Ma'n'Pa appliance store keeps a pile of ripouts out
back. Also, most large apartment complexes treat DWs like light bulbs,
so the the week after 1st of month move-out day often has many sitting
in or beside the dumpsters. There are only a few actual DW makers left,
no matter the brand name on the front, so it shouldn't be too hard to
come up with ones that will fit.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, "Larry B" wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?

My Maytag is at least 12 yrs old and the racks are in mint condition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry B" wrote in message
m...
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant
just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They
are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole
dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

I've had the racks last over 20 years. The ones in my KA are still perfect
after five. My guess is your tenants are slobs and abused the machine.
Maybe they were cleaning bricks in it, or degreasing car parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry B" wrote:

I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?

My 2003 Whirlpool racks are cherry. The dishwasher gets used once or
twice a day. I paid $6-700 for the dishwasher.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The
tenant just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with
rust. They are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr
and a new, whole dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?

Not in my experience

2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?

Steel won't rust if protected from water and air. My guess is that the
vinyl covering was incomplete or poorly done originally.

3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound
rust-free but are they cheesy and weak?

Dunno, but no reason they should be.

You didn't ask but $300 for a pair of racks is highway robbery IMO.

--

dadiOH

It is highway robbery!! But such is the state of affairs with buying parts
from most of corporate America these days.

I had an idea on those racks. A year ago or so, they called saying that they
had an awful burning smell in the apt. Before I could get over there, they
called to say that they found a piece of plastic in the dishwasher that had
melted in the dishwasher (on the heater element). My guess is that the
plastic fumes from the burning plastic weakened the vinyl coating on the
racks. It is the only semi-rational reason that I can come up with for this
premature failure.

Now the search for racks or maybe a new DW.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry B" wrote
I had an idea on those racks. A year ago or so, they called saying that
they had an awful burning smell in the apt. Before I could get over there,
they called to say that they found a piece of plastic in the dishwasher
that had melted in the dishwasher (on the heater element). My guess is
that the plastic fumes from the burning plastic weakened the vinyl coating
on the racks. It is the only semi-rational reason that I can come up with
for this premature failure.

I doubt that would cause the problem, but it does show they are careless
slobs. Makes my cleaning car parts theory more plausible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, "Larry B" wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

My Whirlpool is something like 15 YO and the racks are beginning to
show their age - it's been in a 6 person household all it's life, so
it's gotten a lot of use.

The top rack is fine, the bottom rack is showing some rust on the tips
and junctions of some tines.

The only tines that are missing are a couple on the Flex Row, the one
that swivels down flat so you can load large objects. I assume that
the movement (and removal) over the years has weakened that particular
piece.

A replacement rack goes for about $119, the Flex Row, about $22 from:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

"The Daring *wrote in message
[...]

Why not just silver solder a new set of racks from stainless rod? No
recoating necessary and they would outlast the next few tenants. MAPP
gas with a good propane torch could do the job if oxyacetylene isn't
available.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the welding tips but I am not able to go that route. I am sure
that you are right, though. Stainless would practically be forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/08/10 8:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

I replaced the racks in my Maytag Dishwasher. If you shop around online
the cost is less than $200 for the pair.

I bought mine from appliancezone.com maybe a year ago. These were the
Whirlpool part numbers for the Maytag dishwasher I have, but I imagine
the prices are similar for yours.

Dishwasher Upper Rack - 99002038 $85.71
Dishwasher Lower Rack - 99002387 $82.75

There was also a $5 off coupon somewhere, and shipping was $7.95.

I looked at new dishwashers equivalent to what I had, and decided to
take the risk of the new racks being worthwhile in relation to the life
of the dishwasher (which had been fixed twice in a recall).

Prior to replacing the racks I was doing surgery with wire cutters and
heat shrink tubing, but eventually there were too many lost tines.

Look for dishwashers on craigslist and freecycle for rentals. Often
someone is re-doing their kitchen and has a like-new dishwasher for very
little (or free).
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 11, 1:18*am, "Larry B" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

[...]

if you have a welder, nothing is impossible

Nobody makes stainless steel dishwasher racks? (I don't know, I have
never picked out a dishwasher, always just used the one that came with
the place. Sometimes happily, sometimes not.)

nate

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 11, 5:45*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Larry B" wrote in message

m...

I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant
just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They
are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole
dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

I've had the racks last over 20 years. *The ones in my KA are still perfect
after five. *My guess is your tenants are slobs and abused the machine.
Maybe they were cleaning bricks in it, or degreasing car parts.

Um, I've run car parts through the DW before, and haven't ruined a
rack yet.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 3:40*pm, N8N wrote:
On Aug 11, 5:45*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Larry B" wrote in message

om...

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

"I've run car parts through the DW before, and haven't ruined a
rack yet."

Same here.

The small block V8 from my 92 Mustang bent a couple of tines, but
nothing actually broke off.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/08/10 8:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

My Maytag racks lasted about six years before they started rusting, and
after eight years I replaced them. I don't think that I'm unduly hard on
the dishwasher.

At only 3.5 years you might want to replace the racks if you can get
them for under $200 at the source I got mine (pointed out in an earlier
post). I don't recall any other dishwashers that I've had having the
racks rust as fast as the ones on the Maytag, and they've been replaced
for other reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The
tenant just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with
rust. They are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr
and a new, whole dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?

Chances are, they bent the tines to get something to fit in, breaking the
coating, allowing water to rust the tines, causing them to break off as they
weakened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Aug 2010, "Larry B" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The
tenant just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split
with rust. They are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are
$300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?

I had a Maytag dishwasher that the racks rusted badly in many places
after about 8 - 10 years. I, too, was shocked by the price of new ones.
I ended up buying some used ones off eBay. They lasted until the
dishwasher broke for good.

I think the original racks were too thinly coated with plastic. The
coating got nicked, which exposed the metal to water. I think they were
poorly made - the coating was too thin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:41:41 -0700, SMS
wrote Re Dishwasher Rack Longevity:

[...]

I've had the rusting-rack with Maytag also; as well as other problems.
My solution was to replace the Maytag with another brand last year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The
tenant just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with
rust. They are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr
and a new, whole dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound
rust-free but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

Just wondering out loud here - -

Could you score some stainless rod, and, with enough measurements, cut it up
to the right sizes for all the frame, runners, and 'bed of nails.' After all
the pieces are prepared, bent, and tapered, take the stuff to a welding shop
and have them construct a new rack?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2010 11:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

We too have an inexpensive Maytag about 3 yrs old. Use it all the time. Racks
look as good as when it was installed. I suspect gross abuse by the tenant.
Maybe they got it all stained and tried to clean it before moving out with some
corrosive liquid? Sounds like a good justification for withholding at least
some of the additional month's rent you probably required when they moved in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 1:18*am, "Larry B" wrote:
Any thoughts on my questions?

Magic word: TENANT

Tenants rarely care for appliances as if they owned them. I would bank
on your former tenant having done every abusive thing imaginable to
that dishwasher. If it even works, it would be a minor miracle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

They are defnately buying the new racks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/08/10 11:26 PM, Larry B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If you've got sheeple for tenants then they might not challenge you on
taking that out of their security deposit. Maybe you had especially bad
tenants, but no tenants I've had would have done anything out of the
ordinary to damage appliances. The Maytag racks are poor quality even on
their more expensive models, probably on the cheap models they're even
worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Aug 11, 4:18*am, Ron wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, "Larry B" wrote:

I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?

My Maytag is at least 12 yrs old and the racks are in mint condition.

I looked at my racks again VERY closely and I found two very small
spots that are starting to rust. Looks like the ends of both of them
weren't coated.

Here's a pic of one spot...crappy picture but the "problem" area is
circled in red.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2z7ero8.png
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

"Sheeple". That is funny. They were not bad tenants by any means. But these
racks are wasted. Missing at least 8 tines along with another 10 that are
getting there. I am not talking about tine tips and the likes. Seems like a
lot. Earlier I made a comment about their having burned up some plastic
dinnerware/containers in the unit possibly releasing plastic vapors that
could have weakend the rack coating. Is that possible? Thanks for your
thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 4:18 am, Ron wrote:
[...]

Hi Ron, that happens. Sometimes the end of the tines or other pieces get
banged and the tips pop off. That is a perfect candidate for touch up
coating. On my home racks. I have gone through the entire rack system and
touched up every crack or exposed metal that I could find. Helps a lot. I
usually first treat the open spot with some Rust Destroyer to stop the
rusting process before touching it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/11/2010 03:48 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 11, 3:40 pm, wrote:
On Aug 11, 5:45 am, "Ed wrote:

"Larry wrote in message

m...

[...]

heh. I really have, nothing gets old greasy hubcaps clean like a
dishwasher. I think the heaviest thing I have run through there was a
water manifold from an old Packard V-8 though. I do have *some* amount
of common sense and desire not to get in bad with female cohabitants.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ron, Annie Weyerts wrote:
I hope it last forever because the new Maytag dishwasher racks are changed and
melt and swell and rust apart about 2 or 3 years! All my dishwashers have
lasted and the racks always in mint condition. Until I gave my old one away
because I bought a new one and what a big mistake I made. I don't wash knives
or pots and pans and own The Brook Pink dishes (Made in England)
by CHURCHILL a double set + and the new dishwasher is starting to ruin them if
I put them near the spines that melted and now are rusting. They don't make
them like they did 8-10 years ago. Very disappointed.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ty-458822-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Larry B, Wayne wrote:
1. Yes, I think it is more typical today. The quality of vinyl has degraded
over the years. My first dishwasher.a GE, d/w 12 years old and had no vinyl
or rust problems. 2. User abuse, poor quality vinyl, and overly corrosive
detergents are the main culprits. Tenants don't care, the quality combined
with corrosion will definitely cause you problems. 3. We have a hi-end Bosch
machine with stainless steel tub and heavy nylon coated racks. Our machine is
6 years old and looks and performs like new. I can see the need for you to
provide an economical dishwasher to tenants but short of upgrading I'm not
sure you have too many alternatives. As some other posters have suggested,
you might try searching for used racks that you could get for little or
nothing. I don't know of a way to actually repair the damage, and most repair
attempts will probably not last long.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ty-458822-.htm