Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

On Aug 11, 4:18*am, Ron wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, "Larry B" wrote:

I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?

My Maytag is at least 12 yrs old and the racks are in mint condition.

I looked at my racks again VERY closely and I found two very small
spots that are starting to rust. Looks like the ends of both of them
weren't coated.

Here's a pic of one spot...crappy picture but the "problem" area is
circled in red.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2z7ero8.png