Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry B[_2_] Larry B[_2_] is offline

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

"SMS" wrote in message
On 12/08/10 11:26 PM, Larry B wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/10/2010 11:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved
out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl
covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher
isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound
rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

We too have an inexpensive Maytag about 3 yrs old. Use it all the time.
Racks look as good as when it was installed. I suspect gross abuse by
the
tenant. Maybe they got it all stained and tried to clean it before
moving
out with some corrosive liquid? Sounds like a good justification for
withholding at least some of the additional month's rent you probably
required when they moved in.

They are defnately buying the new racks.

If you've got sheeple for tenants then they might not challenge you on
taking that out of their security deposit. Maybe you had especially bad
tenants, but no tenants I've had would have done anything out of the
ordinary to damage appliances. The Maytag racks are poor quality even on
their more expensive models, probably on the cheap models they're even
worse.

"Sheeple". That is funny. They were not bad tenants by any means. But these
racks are wasted. Missing at least 8 tines along with another 10 that are
getting there. I am not talking about tine tips and the likes. Seems like a
lot. Earlier I made a comment about their having burned up some plastic
dinnerware/containers in the unit possibly releasing plastic vapors that
could have weakend the rack coating. Is that possible? Thanks for your
thoughts.