Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:41:41 -0700, SMS
wrote Re Dishwasher Rack Longevity:

On 10/08/10 8:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

My Maytag racks lasted about six years before they started rusting, and
after eight years I replaced them. I don't think that I'm unduly hard on
the dishwasher.

At only 3.5 years you might want to replace the racks if you can get
them for under $200 at the source I got mine (pointed out in an earlier
post). I don't recall any other dishwashers that I've had having the
racks rust as fast as the ones on the Maytag, and they've been replaced
for other reasons.

I've had the rusting-rack with Maytag also; as well as other problems.
My solution was to replace the Maytag with another brand last year.