Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry B[_2_] Larry B[_2_] is offline

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:6zv8o.156743$tB1.122485@hurricane...
Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The
tenant just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with
rust. They are vinyl covered steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr
and a new, whole dishwasher isn't much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?

Not in my experience

2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?

Steel won't rust if protected from water and air. My guess is that the
vinyl covering was incomplete or poorly done originally.

3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound
rust-free but are they cheesy and weak?

Dunno, but no reason they should be.

You didn't ask but $300 for a pair of racks is highway robbery IMO.

--

dadiOH

It is highway robbery!! But such is the state of affairs with buying parts
from most of corporate America these days.

I had an idea on those racks. A year ago or so, they called saying that they
had an awful burning smell in the apt. Before I could get over there, they
called to say that they found a piece of plastic in the dishwasher that had
melted in the dishwasher (on the heater element). My guess is that the
plastic fumes from the burning plastic weakened the vinyl coating on the
racks. It is the only semi-rational reason that I can come up with for this
premature failure.

Now the search for racks or maybe a new DW.