Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry B[_2_] Larry B[_2_] is offline

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

"Peter" wrote in message
On 8/10/2010 11:57 PM, Larry B wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an
inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved
out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl
covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

We too have an inexpensive Maytag about 3 yrs old. Use it all the time.
Racks look as good as when it was installed. I suspect gross abuse by the
tenant. Maybe they got it all stained and tried to clean it before moving
out with some corrosive liquid? Sounds like a good justification for
withholding at least some of the additional month's rent you probably
required when they moved in.

They are defnately buying the new racks.