Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dishwasher rack

How is the best way to remove a rust spot on a dishwasher (Maytag) rack?

Do I need to scrape off rust before applying any coating?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:09:30 -0500, "trailer" wrote:

How is the best way to remove a rust spot on a dishwasher (Maytag) rack?

Do I need to scrape off rust before applying any coating?

I would not contradict the package directions.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

trailer wrote:
How is the best way to remove a rust spot on a dishwasher (Maytag) rack?

Do I need to scrape off rust before applying any coating?

Thanks.

If the spot is rusted all the way through then you can slip heat
shrinkable tubing over it and shrink it. This is what I did. I scraped
as much rust as I could off first.

I finally replaced my rusting Maytag dishwasher racks. They were
expensive, about $85 each. But I had done as much as I could trying to
remove rust, and enough of the tines had fallen off that it was reducing
the amount of stuff I could put in.

Here's what I got (even though it says Whirlpool it was for a Maytag):

ApplianceZone.com Items
1 Dishwasher Upper Rack - 99002038 (Whirlpool) @ $85.71 = $85.71
1 Dishwasher Lower Rack - 99002387 (Whirlpool) @ $82.75 = $82.75

I was going to just replace the dishwasher, but after I went shopping
for dishwashers with similar features, and found that even on sale it
would cost at least $550, I decided to gamble that the current model
will last long enough to make the new racks a worthwhile purchase. If I
get two more years out of the dishwasher I'll be happy.

ApplianceZone.com was the cheapest place I could find for the racks.
Shipping was only $7.95.

I'm tempted to coat the new racks to make them last longer. Once the
rust starts to appear in one place, you can be sure that it's already
started rusting many other places.