Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Dishwasher Rack Longevity

On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, "Larry B" wrote:
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive
($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out
and a dozen tines are either gone or split with rust. They are vinyl covered
steel. Also, the new racks are $300/pr and a new, whole dishwasher isn't
much more!

1. Is this typical after such a short time nowadays?
2. What could have caused this (premature?) failure?
3. I see that some dishwashers now have nylon racks. They sound rust-free
but are they cheesy and weak?

Thanks, Larry

My Whirlpool is something like 15 YO and the racks are beginning to
show their age - it's been in a 6 person household all it's life, so
it's gotten a lot of use.

The top rack is fine, the bottom rack is showing some rust on the tips
and junctions of some tines.

The only tines that are missing are a couple on the Flex Row, the one
that swivels down flat so you can load large objects. I assume that
the movement (and removal) over the years has weakened that particular
piece.

A replacement rack goes for about $119, the Flex Row, about $22 from:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com