Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default cordless phones

greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist?
stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

There are a number of variations of small walkie-talkie kinds of radios that
might serve your purpose.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

See what the local stores have or go online.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist?
stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

I'd suggest that you go to www.consumerreports.org, pay the six dollar
monthly fee, and check their cordless phone reviews. A friend of mine just
replaced a couple of lousy cordless phones with one of the AT&T models, but
I don't know which ones. She said not all models from that brand fared well
in the tests, so you can't assume anything about any particular brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist?
stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Similar problem here. Tried those 2 way radios. Hard to find a channel that
has does not other people on it..So bought a cell Trac Phone from WalMart.
Inexpensive and minutes are low cost. Wife is disabled and I carry this
phone left on when working in the shop or if I leave the house. That way she
calls me with our regular phone. Works great. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 9:52*am, "WW" wrote:
"cj" wrote in message

greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist?
stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Similar problem here. Tried those 2 way radios. Hard to find a channel that
has does not other people on it..So bought a cell Trac Phone from WalMart..
Inexpensive and minutes are low cost. Wife is disabled and I carry this
phone left on when working in the shop or if I leave the house. That way she
calls me with our regular phone. Works great. WW

Yeah, cordless phones have FCC limits on power output and 300 feet is
getting marginal. The pay per use cellphone is probably a much better
choice. If your father works in a metal-enclosed building, both the
cellphone and the cordless phone will have problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:52 am, "WW" wrote:
"cj" wrote in message

[...]

Net 10 10 cents a minute, no dollar a day for the 1st use like so
many of them have. 300 minutes for 30 bucks and adds 60 days. I love
it. You can get a cheap one at walgreens on sale for 25.99 and it comes
with 300 minutes/60 days.
http://www.net10.com/
Check it out, I get by for 15 bucks for a phone a month, using this
and use skype to call out at 2 cents a minute.
Grandpa will love texting with the grand kids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:59*pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:52 am, "WW" wrote:
"cj" wrote in message

[...]

* Grandpa will love texting with the grand kids.- Hide quoted text -

FWIW our 900 megahertz cordless phone works well for several hundred
feet. However in certain places inside neighbour's house across a
fairly busy road. it can get fuzzy or noisy; but moving a few feet
usually takes care of it.

It also works OK in daughter's house some 150 feet behind ours, but
again there are few places within that house where it is weak or
noisy. Probably due to metal air ducts, wiring and metal pipes in the
walls etc. All houses are wood frame construction, although ours also
has Al. foil in the walls! The base unit is located approx. in middle
of the house away from any exterior walls.

A much lower frequency 'baby monitor' does not work as well as the
cordless phone.

Also a review on TV that indicated that a test of some newer 2
gigahertz cordless phones failed at about the same distances as 900
mhz. But those tests were using the handset outside of all houses!

I would tend to opt, based on personal experience for a 900 mhz. unit.
Or a cheap
cell phone. As also a senior; mine carried for emergencies costs
$11.30 per month, taxes included and also including some air time. It
is rarely used!

By proper location of the 900 mhz host unit; maybe placing it in say a
window and unless the parental workshop is inside a metal shed there
is good chance 900 mhz. will work as remote cordless phone from the
house phone line.

Our cordless GE 26921 GE2-R, ATLINKS USA INC. IIRC it cost $25.

We have replaced the handset battery probably once in some eight years
using a cheap dollar store battery. We occasionally allow the battery
to run down to avoid overcharging 'battery memory' effect.

Hope this useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist?
stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger will
cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an additional
charger, or buy a set that has two separate chargers, so one in the house,
one in the shop. The good thing about them, too, is that when he goes out
back of the shop, or is under a car, he will have the radio in his pocket
(hopefully), and if he runs into a rowdy skunk, or is just feelin a little
puny, he won't have to make it back to the shop for the phone.

Yah, yah, I know a phone can be carried in the pocket, too. But have you
seen these little radios? I have had several sets now, and all the family
have them. We get on 1-31, and they all can talk to each other, so you can
have all kinds of brands, and they will transmit on like frequencies. The
radios would be convenient for all over the property, and you might consider
a set of four.

Rag on him for a couple of weeks to carry it in his pocket when he leaves
the shop, as if he gets into trouble, it won't do him any good with it back
at the shop. I'm an old fart, so don't know how I know these things.

We lost one at the cabin one year. The next spring, we found it, where it
would have been under five feet of snow for the winter. We figured it was
toast. We charged it, and it worked perfectly. It was a Midland, one of
the upper grades. I would have bet a days pay that it wasn't going to work.

Others here have said similar.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone
exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

There are a number of variations of small walkie-talkie kinds of radios
that might serve your purpose.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

See what the local stores have or go online.

Charlie

What he said. Buy upper grade Midland.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone
exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Similar problem here. Tried those 2 way radios. Hard to find a channel
that has does not other people on it..So bought a cell Trac Phone from
WalMart. Inexpensive and minutes are low cost. Wife is disabled and I
carry this phone left on when working in the shop or if I leave the house.
That way she calls me with our regular phone. Works great. WW

Wow..... You must live in a densely populated area. With the permutations
of channels on there, there must be thousands. I never had that problem,
and when we did, we'd just jump channels.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/07/10 02:42 pm, Steve B wrote:

[...]

There are only 7 (or is it 9?) FRS channels, and only a few tens of GMRS
channels on the walkie-talkies I've seen advertised.

And people should be aware that use of the GMRS channels (intended
originally, AIUI, for business use) requires an FCC license -- no idea
whether that costs money.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"FatterDumber& Happier Moe" wrote in
message ...

Net 10 10 cents a minute, no dollar a day for the 1st use like so many
of them have. 300 minutes for 30 bucks and adds 60 days. I love it. You
can get a cheap one at walgreens on sale for 25.99 and it comes with 300
minutes/60 days. http://www.net10.com/
Check it out, I get by for 15 bucks for a phone a month, using this and
use skype to call out at 2 cents a minute.
Grandpa will love texting with the grand kids.

Not sure if this plan is still available but our Virgin setup is $.18 a
minute but only have to "top-up" $15 every 3 months or more often if you use
up your minutes. Personally I don't even use the 28 minutes a month that the
$5 gets me so my cell bill is $5 a month. The phone was free when I signed
up about 3 years ago. Also includes texting and email for $.15 a pop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone
exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger
will cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an
additional

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie talkie
will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or so. You
will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat areas
especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .

I have been a ham for over 35 years and have played with them for years.
This is not the $ 50 class, but more like the $ 250 each and up class, but
the price has came down to about half that now.

To get the 25 mile range you must be on tall hills or mountains.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger
will cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an
additional

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie
talkie will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or so.
You will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat areas
especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .

12 miles he

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR38502W...31477&sr =1-1

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"tom" wrote in message ...

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger
will cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an
additional

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie
talkie will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or
so. You will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat
areas especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .

12 miles he

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR38502W...31477&sr =1-1

Just in........36 he

http://www.dak.com/reviews/2027story...FQ855wodvExdzQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in message ...

"tom" wrote in message ...

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger
will cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an
additional

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie
talkie will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or
so. You will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat
areas especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .

12 miles he

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR38502W...31477&sr =1-1

Just in........36 he

http://www.dak.com/reviews/2027story...FQ855wodvExdzQ

Have you tried either of the radios ? The ads can say anything. Looks like
a Billie Mays ad on TV.
Also same type of ads that you add things to your car to get beter gas
milage. I bought a bunch of them and installed it on a car. Had to drain a
couple of gallons out each week it saved me so much :-)

Why stop there ? I talked to someone on a WT around 200 miles away . He
was on a jet around 35,000 feet off the ground. Couple of others I know
talked over 100 miles but one was on Mt. Mitchell (highest point on the east
coast).
This was with the low power WTs. In the flat lands you would be lucky to
get a mile out of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 7, 1:14*pm, terry wrote:

FWIW our 900 megahertz cordless phone works well for several hundred
feet.

900 MHz? They still make those?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:
On Jul 7, 1:14 pm, wrote:

FWIW our 900 megahertz cordless phone works well for several hundred
feet.

900 MHz? They still make those?

Hi,
They don't make them but can find them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 7, 5:57*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jul 7, 1:14 pm, *wrote:

FWIW our 900 megahertz cordless phone works well for several hundred
feet.

900 MHz? They still make those?

Hi,
They don't make them but can find them.

I can find one stored with the rest of my "obsolete" electronics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"WW" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Umm, no... A busy channel is a busy channel... Even if you set a
different selective calling "privacy code" you will still experience
interference if you are trying to transmit on a channel someone else
is using even if the group using the channel is on a different
"privacy
code" than the one you are trying to use...

FMRS and GMRS only have a set number of channels, the permutations
you speak of are fictional, as a channel that is inundated with users
in your area will make it all but impossible for you to use the same
channel...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 3:19*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm... To get a 25 mile range you would need an FCC license to
be operating a high power repeater or several lower power remote
sites, either way that is a lot of money for the equipment...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

My vhf repeater at work is on top of a 14 story building on a hill. My
5-watt H-T's can talk to each over pretty much anywhere in a 30 mile
circle. My stone-age system is more dependable than the megabuck 800-mhz
trunked system that all the local public safety agencies are using.

As to OP's problem- I'd just string a wire. Find burial-rated cable,
make a slit with a flat shovel, shove the wire in, and stomp it closed.
If he can't find real Ma Bell wire, the stuff for outdoor lights should
work okay. Only problem will be crossing any paved areas- if you can't
poke a stick of pipe under them, you have to find some way to go around
or over them. Maybe get Ma Bell to install a new number out there, and
then cancel it a month later, and jumper it over to the house line.

The pre-paid cell is probably the most painless solution, if (and it is
a big if), there is coverage inside the shop.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 07:56:36 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

On Jul 7, 9:52 am, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Some of the DECT 6.0 phones are good for 0ver 700 feet under the
right conditions. My cheap GE unit is good for about 300 feet in town.

Yes,
DECT 6 runs on lower frequency. Definitely has better range.

UH Actually runs on a very high frequencey

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Go to Walmart get a cheap ($19) DECT phone made by Uniden.
Try it. No Joy? Bring it back (in less than 45 days).
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
wrote:

On Jul 7, 9:52 am, wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Not really lower than 2 or 5GHz phones. 1.9GHz thayt is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:43:46 -0400, LouB wrote:

wrote:

On Jul 7, 9:52 am, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

No, lower prequency is correct Worldwide DECT standars is 1800/1900
mhz - North America is DECT6.0 - running at 1920/1930mhz.
Significantly lower frequency than the older common5.8ghz, but higher
than the old 900mhz
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 7:18*am, cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Perhaps he should get one of those pendants or bracelets that a frail
or elderly or handicapped person wears. Press a button when you
have a fall and can't get up, or (heaven forfend) a heart attack,
or...
and an alarm goes off in the hq. If the victim doesn't answer the
phone,
the hq will call the designated person (you?), and if they don't
answer,
the police or fire dept.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FRS is a good choice if both structures are wood. If either is
aluminum sided, the performance is less.

I went to visit a friend one time. He's a machinist, and works in an
over grown pole barn wtih aluminum siding. I couldn't talk from the
parking lot to his station, though when I stepped in it was fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Charlie" wrote in message

There are a number of variations of small walkie-talkie kinds of
radios that
might serve your purpose.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

See what the local stores have or go online.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've also encountered cross talk. Worse, at malls.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WW" wrote in message

Similar problem here. Tried those 2 way radios. Hard to find a channel
that
has does not other people on it..So bought a cell Trac Phone from
WalMart.
Inexpensive and minutes are low cost. Wife is disabled and I carry
this
phone left on when working in the shop or if I leave the house. That
way she
calls me with our regular phone. Works great. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please note, the "privacy" codes provide no privacy. They are a low
tone which opens the squelch. You can transmit on 1-30 and someone
with a cheap set on ch 1 can hear everything you say.

Try it... set one radio to 1-30 and other one to 1-0, and talk back
and forth. The no code 1-0 can hear everything.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Wow..... You must live in a densely populated area. With the
permutations
of channels on there, there must be thousands. I never had that
problem,
and when we did, we'd just jump channels.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

The ones in stores, there are 14 FRS channels. And 22 channels in the
GMRS band, which contains the first 14 which are FRS. So, that's 8
exclusive to GMRS.

You're right, most people have no clue that the GMRS channels need a
license from FCC. License from FCC. Does it cost money? What's your
first guess? Yes, or no?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

There are only 7 (or is it 9?) FRS channels, and only a few tens of
GMRS
channels on the walkie-talkies I've seen advertised.

And people should be aware that use of the GMRS channels (intended
originally, AIUI, for business use) requires an FCC license -- no idea
whether that costs money.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

With good Motorola FRS, the ones I tested got 0.7 miles from "two
mile" walkies. You're right about mountains, etc.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie
talkie
will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or so.
You
will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat areas
especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .

I have been a ham for over 35 years and have played with them for
years.
This is not the $ 50 class, but more like the $ 250 each and up class,
but
the price has came down to about half that now.

To get the 25 mile range you must be on tall hills or mountains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"up to" like my two mile walkies that did 0.7 miles?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"tom" wrote in message

12 miles he

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-PR38502W...31477&sr =1-1

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

That is what we have here in the west. Horizon to horizon line of sight. I
have some Motorola commercial job grade radios, and the Midlands do
everything they will do. We've done seven miles with clarity on dry
Pleistocene lake beds.

And surely, you know that 300' is far less than the 2-3 miles that can be
expected even of the cheap walkie talkie radios.

Any more nits?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 2:42 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"WW" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
[...]

Then, all you do is pick another channel and go. It's really simple. I
have actually done it. Many times. Many many times. If one channel is
busy, you go to another. I fail to see your point.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

Have you tried either of the radios ? The ads can say anything. Looks
like a Billie Mays ad on TV.
Also same type of ads that you add things to your car to get beter gas
milage. I bought a bunch of them and installed it on a car. Had to drain
a couple of gallons out each week it saved me so much :-)

Why stop there ? I talked to someone on a WT around 200 miles away . He
was on a jet around 35,000 feet off the ground. Couple of others I know
talked over 100 miles but one was on Mt. Mitchell (highest point on the
east coast).
This was with the low power WTs. In the flat lands you would be lucky to
get a mile out of them.

Wow......the earth might get hit by an asteroid tomorrow too. Think I'll go
eat a couple bottle of aspirins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does
such a cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an
option. thanks, cj

If only for emergencies, ANY cell phone will work. Even deactivated ones
(presuming they're charged) can still contact 911.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Any old cell phone will dial 911.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Cordless Panasonic phones pebe Electronics Repair 5 June 1st 10 02:33 PM
OT Cordless phones again metspitzer Home Repair 2 March 12th 09 07:07 PM
Batteries for cordless phones? Ignoramus15384 Home Repair 15 March 6th 09 04:37 AM
Cordless Phones metspitzer Home Repair 3 November 8th 08 04:29 AM
Cordless phones MiamiCuse Home Repair 39 August 6th 08 07:19 PM