Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default cordless phones

"Steve B" wrote in message

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone
exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger
will cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an
additional

Unless you are on a hill or maybe over water there is no way a walkie talkie
will go 25 miles. Not even the high powered ones of 5 watts or so. You
will be lucky to get 2 or 3 miles out of them in the normal flat areas
especially when the plants have lots of leaves on them. .

I have been a ham for over 35 years and have played with them for years.
This is not the $ 50 class, but more like the $ 250 each and up class, but
the price has came down to about half that now.

To get the 25 mile range you must be on tall hills or mountains.