Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default cordless phones

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and barn
that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about calling for
help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a cordless phone that
would cover that kind of range or better.does such a cordless phone exist?
stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

They make walkie talkies now that go 25 miles. A good set with charger will
cost you about $50. I like Midland brand. You might get an additional
charger, or buy a set that has two separate chargers, so one in the house,
one in the shop. The good thing about them, too, is that when he goes out
back of the shop, or is under a car, he will have the radio in his pocket
(hopefully), and if he runs into a rowdy skunk, or is just feelin a little
puny, he won't have to make it back to the shop for the phone.

Yah, yah, I know a phone can be carried in the pocket, too. But have you
seen these little radios? I have had several sets now, and all the family
have them. We get on 1-31, and they all can talk to each other, so you can
have all kinds of brands, and they will transmit on like frequencies. The
radios would be convenient for all over the property, and you might consider
a set of four.

Rag on him for a couple of weeks to carry it in his pocket when he leaves
the shop, as if he gets into trouble, it won't do him any good with it back
at the shop. I'm an old fart, so don't know how I know these things.

We lost one at the cabin one year. The next spring, we found it, where it
would have been under five feet of snow for the winter. We figured it was
toast. We charged it, and it worked perfectly. It was a Midland, one of
the upper grades. I would have bet a days pay that it wasn't going to work.

Others here have said similar.

Steve