Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cordless phones (FRS walkies)

I've heard places like Disneyland are nearly impossible, with too many
users. Many of them saying nothing important, and some of those
shoutign into the mic to get through.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Umm, no... A busy channel is a busy channel... Even if you set a
different selective calling "privacy code" you will still experience
interference if you are trying to transmit on a channel someone else
is using even if the group using the channel is on a different
"privacy
code" than the one you are trying to use...

FMRS and GMRS only have a set number of channels, the permutations
you speak of are fictional, as a channel that is inundated with users
in your area will make it all but impossible for you to use the same
channel...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cordless phones (channel busy)

With only 14 channels in the FRS band. I can imagine they clog up
pretty quickly at public events.

I've been at gun shows, where a lot of guys were using FRS. Rather
politely, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Then, all you do is pick another channel and go. It's really simple.
have actually done it. Many times. Many many times. If one channel
is
busy, you go to another. I fail to see your point.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cordless phones

On 07/07/10 10:10 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The ones in stores, there are 14 FRS channels. And 22 channels in the
GMRS band, which contains the first 14 which are FRS. So, that's 8
exclusive to GMRS.

You're right, most people have no clue that the GMRS channels need a
license from FCC. License from FCC. Does it cost money? What's your
first guess? Yes, or no?

Yes, it costs, but not a whole lot.

From the Best Buy Web site:

'How much does a GMRS license cost?
"The FCC grants 5-year renewable licenses for GMRS Systems. The current
fee for a new GMRS license is $75."* Note: The amount stated above is
the GMRS license fee at the time of the writing of this article.
However, we recommend that you check with the FCC at:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...generalmobile/ to verify
current fees.

You can obtain your GMRS license or additional information from the FCC:
To purchase your GMRS operator’s license or to obtain more information,
you can access the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) online at
FCC.gov or by phone at 1-888-CALL-FCC or 1-877-480-3201. Or you may
e-mail the FCC for licensing help at:

Your family members may share in the use of your GMRS license:
"The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service
available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the
activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family
members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts,
uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a
GMRS system licensee, you and your family members would communicate
among yourselves over the general area of your residence or during
recreational group outings, such as camping or hiking."*'

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 07/07/10 10:10 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The ones in stores, there are 14 FRS channels. And 22 channels in the
GMRS band, which contains the first 14 which are FRS. So, that's 8
exclusive to GMRS.

You're right, most people have no clue that the GMRS channels need a
license from FCC. License from FCC. Does it cost money? What's your
first guess? Yes, or no?

Yes, it costs, but not a whole lot.

From the Best Buy Web site:

[...]

I saw my license application in my box of new radios. Yeah, right. I'm
going to spend $75, or about as much as I pay for the radios, on a license
to use walkie talkies to run around the woods riding ATVs and playing
paintball?

I don't think so, Tim.

I have yet to see any triangulation trucks or officials in the woods
enforcing the laws. But I guess you don't always see or hear those stealth
government vehicles, particularly the helicopters.

Steve

visit my blog at
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then, all you do is pick another channel and go. *It's really simple.
have actually done it. *Many times. *Many many times. *If one channel
is
busy, you go to another. *I fail to see your point.

Steve

So what do you do when you need to talk to the other station and the
channel is occupied, "simply" call the other station on the phone and
tell them what channel you are switching to on your walkie
talkie????

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 9:18 AM, cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

In which country do you reside? There are any number of long range
cordless phones available, some have ranges measured in miles or
kilometers. The legality depends on your home country.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 8, 11:31*am, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:29:05 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
I've heard places like Disneyland are nearly impossible, with too many
users. Many of them saying nothing important, and some of those
shoutign into the mic to get through.

We were in Busch Gardens last month and there wasn't that much
activity on FRS, I guess everyone has a cell phone now.

You take walkie talkies to theme parks?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

LSMFT wrote:
cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Any old cell phone will dial 911.

my dad lives alone in a rural area with crummy cell service. he wants
the ability to call his neighbors in an emergency. i've found a few
phones that apparently have the range but are very pricey. i'll try to
talk him into a well shielded land line down to the workshed
cj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 5:24*pm, cj wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
cj wrote:
greetings, my elderly father spends alot of time at his workshop and
barn that are about 300 feet from the house.he has concerns about
calling for help whilst away from the house so i am looking for a
cordless phone that would cover that kind of range or better.does such a
cordless phone exist? stringing a land line is not really an option.
thanks, cj

Any old cell phone will dial 911.

my dad lives alone in a rural area with crummy cell service. he wants
the ability to call his neighbors in an emergency. i've found a few
phones that apparently have the range but are very pricey. i'll try to
talk him into a well shielded land line down to the workshed
cj

with the low price of celluar today you could install a outdoor cell
antenna with local repeater.

position the antenna right and he would no only have service in
workkshop but around the homes outside, and in his home too if he
wants.

locally land line service price has gone up while celluar dropped like
a rock....

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

UH Actually runs on a very high frequencey

No, lower prequency is correct Worldwide DECT standars is 1800/1900
mhz - North America is DECT6.0 - running at 1920/1930mhz.
Significantly lower frequency than the older common5.8ghz, but higher
than the old 900mhz

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 13, 6:15*pm, Sam E wrote:
[snip]

UH *Actually runs on a very high frequencey

No, lower prequency is correct Worldwide DECT standars is 1800/1900
mhz - North America is *DECT6.0 - running at 1920/1930mhz.
Significantly lower frequency than the older common5.8ghz, but higher
than the old 900mhz

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".

reply: Don't know about yours, but on mine, it was to change the channel in
case of interference. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:29:40 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Jul 13, 6:15Â*pm, Sam E wrote:
[snip]

UH Â*Actually runs on a very high frequencey
No, lower prequency is correct Worldwide DECT standars is 1800/1900
mhz - North America is Â*DECT6.0 - running at 1920/1930mhz.
Significantly lower frequency than the older common5.8ghz, but higher
than the old 900mhz

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".

On a 54mhz phone, or a 900?
The first 54 mhz units were single channel - then the fancier units
like the Compander Plus from Sanyo went to 25 channel auto switching
(spread spectrum)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Jul 13, 6:15*pm, Sam E wrote:
[snip]

UH *Actually runs on a very high frequencey
No, lower prequency is correct Worldwide DECT standars is 1800/1900
mhz - North America is *DECT6.0 - running at 1920/1930mhz.
Significantly lower frequency than the older common5.8ghz, but higher
than the old 900mhz

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".

*On a 54mhz phone, or a 900?
The first 54 mhz units were single channel - then the fancier units
like the Compander Plus from Sanyo went to 25 channel auto switching
(spread spectrum)

900 which according to the OP there was no way to change the channel.
Not only could you change the channel, but I had a Sony that
automatically changed channels every 60 seconds or so for privacy
issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:07:56 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".

reply: Don't know about yours, but on mine, it was to change the channel in
case of interference. ;-)

Steve

The one I dad in about 1980 definitely did NOT have a change channel
button. If there was interference, you had to take it back to the
store and exchange it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The only person who is a worse liar than a faith healer is his
patient." -- Abraham Lincoln
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 19, 3:48*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:07:56 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

"Ron" wrote

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference.

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".

reply: *Don't know about yours, but on mine, it was to change the channel in
case of interference. *;-)

Steve

The one I dad in about 1980 definitely did NOT have a change channel
button. If there was interference, you had to take it back to the
store and exchange it.

You had a 900MHz cordless phone in 1980?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 19, 6:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

On Jul 19, 3:48 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:07:56 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

"Ron" wrote

BTW, at one time 900MHz cordless phones were NEW. Most used 54MHz.
Also, there was no way to change the channel in case of interference..

Then what is that button for that says "change channel".

reply: Don't know about yours, but on mine, it was to change the channel
in
case of interference. ;-)

Steve

The one I dad in about 1980 definitely did NOT have a change channel
button. If there was interference, you had to take it back to the
store and exchange it.

You had a 900MHz cordless phone in 1980?

reply: *Thread drift is a terrible thing. *Who are you talking to? *I had
the old cordless phones that did and did not have channel selectors on them.
I even had one that sat on the table and you'd pick up the earpiece and talk
into the base. *It wasn't cordless, and had only one hardwired line. *The
interference came from the people on that party line.

Steve

I'm talking to the person that I responded to, Mark Lloyd.

Also, I don't see anything here about a 54MHz cordless phone.

http://www.uniden.com/press/docs/Cor...e_Timeline.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 3:48 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:07:56 -0700, "Steve B"

wrote:

"Ron" wrote

[...]

Cordless Panasonic phones pebe Electronics Repair 5 June 1st 10 02:33 PM
OT Cordless phones again metspitzer Home Repair 2 March 12th 09 07:07 PM
Batteries for cordless phones? Ignoramus15384 Home Repair 15 March 6th 09 04:37 AM
Cordless Phones metspitzer Home Repair 3 November 8th 08 04:29 AM
Cordless phones MiamiCuse Home Repair 39 August 6th 08 07:19 PM