Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Batteries for cordless phones?

We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating

Amazon.com

Two batteries for my panasonic phones delivered for $25. They now
work like new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 7:12*am, Ignoramus15384 ignoramus15...@NOSPAM.
15384.invalid wrote:
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
* * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
* * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
* * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

Radio Shack have always worked for me, are contacts clean it might be
something else. Cut some of the wrapper off a pack if you have Sanyo
or Panasonic cells you can not do better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After having similar + other problems with expensive cordless phones I
decided to try the ultra cheap cordless phones = UNDER $15 available at
Target and Wal-Mart. The first phone was under $13 and lasted two years with
very good service. I threw that in the trash when the batteries gave up and
bought a cordless for $14 at Target. I have lost track but it is older than
3 years and still working fine. I'll never buy an expensive cordless again.

cm

"Ignoramus15384" wrote in message
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus15384" wrote in message
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

*I have seen this happen a few times with my own phones and friends and
family. Try cleaning the contacts on the charger, the phone, and if
possible, the battery. They usually don't look dirty or corroded, but it
has worked every time for me. My mother returned batteries to Radio Shack
twice saying that they were defective. I cleaned the contacts and it has
been fine ever since. I use a clean pencil eraser and a Q tip with some
alcohol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

15384.invalid wrote:
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
* * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
* * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
* * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

I don't remember the vendors name, but someone on Ebay had NI-Mi
batteries for Uniden, When mine went weak, I replaced the Nicads with
those and they have worked well ever since. I get more talk time and
they should be quite a few years longer life. I really needed the
boost in talk time, my wife like to talk long dissonance, and
previously would run one phone out & switch to the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Very often, the metal contacts between the handset and the
base get dirty. So, it might not be fully charging. Clean
them with Q-tip and a bit of WD-40. Spray the WD on the
cotton tip, and scrub the contacts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

It's also possible that something other than the battery is
at fault,
eg, charger, phone is partially kaput and drawing excessive
current,
etc. I've bought generic cell phone batteries on Ebay for
$6 and
they worked fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus15384 wrote:
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

The user manual says the battery should last one year.
http://www.uniden.com/pdf/CLX485om.pdf

It also says to use only their battery.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

http://www.unidendirect.com/accdetai...em=BBTY0545001
Posted to alt.home.repair

cm wrote:
[...]

I found an expensive waterproof cordless phone at a
thrift store for $2.00 and gave it to a friend who
uses it a lot. The thing is still going strong after
a year. I find a lot of phones at thrift stores and
most only need simple repairs or cleaning of contacts.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 5, 8:35*am, Eric in North TX wrote:

snip

I really needed the
boost in talk time, my wife like to talk long dissonance, and
previously would run one phone out & switch to the other.

'long dissonance'? G You sly fox!

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I found an expensive waterproof cordless phone at a
thrift store for $2.00 and gave it to a friend who
uses it a lot. The thing is still going strong after
a year. I find a lot of phones at thrift stores and
most only need simple repairs or cleaning of contacts.

TDD

Yeah, it's good to have "waterproof" on the feature list of a cordless
phone. I often take mine when I go SCUBA diving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I found an expensive waterproof cordless phone at a
thrift store for $2.00 and gave it to a friend who
uses it a lot. The thing is still going strong after
a year. I find a lot of phones at thrift stores and
most only need simple repairs or cleaning of contacts.

TDD

Yeah, it's good to have "waterproof" on the feature list of a cordless
phone. I often take mine when I go SCUBA diving.

This particular model was produced as a pool phone
and shop phone.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus15384" wrote in message
We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked
great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.

My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage
batteries that will not hold charge.

My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good
rechargeable battery?

My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of
batteries?

www.bulbtronics.com I've had very good luck with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Very often, the metal contacts between the handset and the
base get dirty. So, it might not be fully charging. Clean
them with Q-tip and a bit of WD-40. Spray the WD on the
cotton tip, and scrub the contacts.

Eraser on a number 2 pencil, and rubbing alcohol on the Q-tip, works a
lot better than wd40.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 01:33:47 GMT, aemeijers wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Very often, the metal contacts between the handset and the
base get dirty. So, it might not be fully charging. Clean
them with Q-tip and a bit of WD-40. Spray the WD on the
cotton tip, and scrub the contacts.

Eraser on a number 2 pencil, and rubbing alcohol on the Q-tip, works a
lot better than wd40.

Spit would work bettern than wd40. Kerosine and mineral oil are lousy
conductors.

More likely than poor contacts are a phone with a mediocre charging circuit
and a ruined battery.

Cordless Phones metspitzer Home Repair 3 November 8th 08 04:29 AM
Cordless phones MiamiCuse Home Repair 39 August 6th 08 07:19 PM
Any recommendations on cordless phones? Charles M. Kozierok Home Ownership 19 June 1st 05 05:46 PM
Nicad vs Nimh batteries in portable phones [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 October 11th 04 10:02 AM
Headsets for cordless phones Lloyd Randall Electronics Repair 8 December 11th 03 01:59 PM