Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Replace the plastic with rubber wheels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have a hand truck with rubber-like or pneumatic tires?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:34*am, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

You might be able to find similar rubber wheels in Harbor Freight or
your local farm supply store. A little jury-rigging might be needed,
but it's worth a shot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2010 12:34 PM, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

Wheels of the correct size and rubber tired are available from most of
the can manufacturers. Check the can to see who the manufacturer is and
then contact them for a dealer in your area. Most of the dealers will
sell tires, axles etc to anyone as repair parts. Guess on price would
be about $10 per wheel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote in news:43utt5dr41u9o5jru2s2oia610enqrlc04
@4ax.com:

In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

You could try weatherstripping.

It comes in rolls, in various widths, thicknesses and hardnesses. And it's
self-adhesive on one side. Home Depot or Lowes will have it.

It might be a bit soft and not too durable, but it's worth a shot.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

You might find some rubber wheels at Harbor Freight that will
fit it. I can imagine the sound it makes because back in the
late 1980's I had a little 3 year old buddy next door who's
parents gave him soft drinks containing a lot of sugar and
caffeine. At five in the morning he would be on his Big Wheel
zipping up and down the sidewalk outside my window. It sounded
like a concrete mixer.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 12:34*pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

So you can't live with it for the 30 seconds, ONCE A WEEK, it takes to
drag the bin from the house to the curb, and back again? Is this the
most pressing problem you have in your life?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" wrote:

Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and
had
to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week.
Get something real to woryy about.
Bob-tx

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap
them on the wheels.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 10:05:47 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

[...]

The existing wheels are 10" diameter x 2" wide with a 22" x 5/8" axle.
The wheels don't have any bushings or bearings. The axles just go
through a 5/8" hole in the plastic in the wheel.

I couldn't find anything at Harbor Freight, but I did find a few other
sources.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/

These guys have all kinds of replacement parts for carts of various
types. They have whole kits including two wheels, 18" axle (too short
for me), washers, and cotter pins. They have fully pneumatic,
semi-pneumatic, and molded rubber. I don't need or want fully
pneumatic. The semi-pneumatic looks good. I assume this means
unpressurized with a thicker tire and smaller air space. The solid
rubber only comes in 8" diameter.

The semi-pneumatic kit is just $34:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...ruck-wheel-kit

Curiously, individual tires are $22 each.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...ner-hand-truck

http://www.amazon.com/10-Pneumatic-T...ef=pd_sbs_ol_5

This is a pair of 300 lb test fully pneumatic tires for $16. If they
were semi-pneumatic, I would be sold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JZ6E417PV3GA78

This is a semi-pneumatic, but the bore is only 1/2". $11 for one.

http://www.northerntool.com/

These guys also have lots of wheels, but I couldn't find any that
looked to be the right size. They also tended to be more expensive.

http://www.hamiltoncaster.com/Catalo...Id=W-10-SU-5/8

This looks to be a very nice tire. At $65, it should be.

http://www.wheeleez.com/utilitywheels.php

About the right size (10" x 2"), but none with 5/8 axle. Most have a
3/4"

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-truck...4294870594.cfm

Cost $20-$50/wheel and I need 6.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset

Up to $100/wheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 May 2010 13:38:16 -0400, rmorton
wrote:

[...]

The manufacturer is Toter (http://www.toter.com/). The person I talked
to was arrogant and annoyed to have been bothered by a mere resident.
She said that those are the "standard" wheels and seemed offended that
anyone would even suggest replacing them. She even suggested that I
might be breaking the law, since they are owned by the city.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:42:11 -0700 (PDT), GROVER
wrote:

On May 3, 12:34*pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

Duct Tape

(heh). I thought of that (first thought, actually), but I wonder if
(a) it would provide very much cushioning or noise damping without
several layers and (b) how long it would last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 May 2010 15:35:37 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote:

Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and
had
to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week.
Get something real to woryy about.
Bob-tx

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.

Thanks. It is partly for the benefit of the neighbors, but mainly for
my wife. I usually take them out about 6am when I get up. she is still
sleeping and the bedroom window is right above the driveway. I've
taken to taking them out the night before since the new driveway.

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap
them on the wheels.

First, I'd need to find a 10" inner tube, then a way to keep it in
place. Maybe an 8" tube, so I'd really have to snap it in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:42:11 -0700 (PDT), GROVER
wrote:

Duct Tape
Joe G

+ 1

Even use matching colors ..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote:

Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and
had
to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week.
Get something real to woryy about.
Bob-tx

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.

Thanks. It is partly for the benefit of the neighbors, but mainly for
my wife. I usually take them out about 6am when I get up. she is still
sleeping and the bedroom window is right above the driveway. I've
taken to taking them out the night before since the new driveway.

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap
them on the wheels.

First, I'd need to find a 10" inner tube, then a way to keep it in
place. Maybe an 8" tube, so I'd really have to snap it in place.

Go to a tire dealer that sells big truck tires. See if they have some take
off inner tubes (damaged ones) Find one slightly smaller than what you need.
Cut for width. Use contact cement on wheels. Stretch cut tube to go on
wheel. I did this when our children were small and we had oak floors. Really
works. Still have some of those toys and grand kids have used them. These
were home made riding toys with wood wheels. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote:

Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and
had
to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week.
Get something real to woryy about.
Bob-tx

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.

Thanks. It is partly for the benefit of the neighbors, but mainly for
my wife. I usually take them out about 6am when I get up. she is still
sleeping and the bedroom window is right above the driveway. I've
taken to taking them out the night before since the new driveway.

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap
them on the wheels.

First, I'd need to find a 10" inner tube, then a way to keep it in
place. Maybe an 8" tube, so I'd really have to snap it in place.

I think you are looking at this wrong. A tube from a car tire might
work, maybe a little smaller. Don't use the whole diameter of the tube.
Lay it flat like an "O" and cut it from the inside to the outside, you
could cut 30 or so rubber bands from one tube. And the local tire store
probably has a few old tubes free of charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Bob-tx" wrote:

Man!!! I wish I had problems in life like Professor whatever, and
had
to worry about the noise my trash can made once or twice a week.
Get something real to woryy about.
Bob-tx

Hey- I'm *glad* I've got a neighbor who is a considerate as the Prof.

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap
them on the wheels.

Jim

The inner tube rubber band fix was my first thought also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote:

[...]

Aha! Use the cross section -- not the diamater. Duh. I probably never
would have thought of that. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 May 2010 13:07:15 -0700, Prof Wonmug wrote:

If I was him I'd cut two rubber bands out of an inner tube and snap
them on the wheels.

First, I'd need to find a 10" inner tube, then a way to keep it in
place. Maybe an 8" tube, so I'd really have to snap it in place.

Then Duct Tape, oh maybe two ply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 12:40*pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:01:30 +0000,

(DA) wrote:
mike wrote:

Do you have a hand truck with rubber-like or pneumatic tires?

That's what I would do - just load it up on a hand truck with good tires
instead of dragging it on its own. If you don't have a hand truck, it
makes sense to get one - a very useful device indeed.

Yes, I have a hand truck, but it's in the garage so I'd have to go get
it and then put it back. Also, I have three bins (garbage plus
recycling) to put out. I can make it in 2 trips now. With the hand
truck, I'd need three.

I want better wheels!!!

You might consider the possibility of storing the bins and hand truck
in approximately the same area. You might have one extra trip each
week, but I'd imagine that there is some awkwardness and aggravation
in rolling two containers side-by-side as a trip-saver anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That said, I bet this is a good application for a piece of an old
leather belt.

nate

"Prof wrote in message
[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On May 3, 10:34*am, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

==
Just "pop-rivet" the chosen material to the wheels. Should work like a
charm.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, Toter is that way. Check your yellow pages for Compacter
repair/parts, Baler repair/parts or other such things. One of them will
probably carry the toter line. Let your fingers do the walking . The
city will probably never notice that you chamged the wheels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:21:50 +0000,
(DA) wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-440156-.htm
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Yes, I have a hand truck, but it's in the garage so I'd have to go get
it and then put it back. Also, I have three bins (garbage plus
recycling) to put out. I can make it in 2 trips now. With the hand
truck, I'd need three.

I want better wheels!!!

Well, I hear you. But in my case, for example, I don't actually *own* the
bins - the trash collection company provided them, so I would not want to
mess with them. Also, these bins are built to take quite some beating -
they are being thrown around manually as well as with the hydraulic arm,
so your "enhanced" design would have to include something like
military-grade wheels (and I'm not talking about the kind used on the cart
in the opening scene of "Hurt Locker" )

That's a good point. The gorillas that collect the garbage throw them
around pretty good. That's a strong argument against anything glued to
the existing wheels.

I'm currently leaning toward these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at
$34/pair and rated for 500 lbs:

http://tinyurl.com/37yubl7

Or these fully pneumatic tires from from Amazon at $16/pair and rated
for 300 lbs:

http://tinyurl.com/39l4d5p

I'll probably go with the semi-pneumatic to avoid flats and because
they look sturdier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm probably going to get these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at
$34/pair and rated for 500 lbs. I think it will be ahrd to beat that
price.

http://tinyurl.com/37yubl7

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't it be funny (well, maybe not for you) if the garbage
collectors swapped your cans with their $34 semi-pneumatic tires with
someone else's cans with their regular noisy tires?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"beecrofter" wrote in message

On May 3, 12:34 pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

Put the trash out the night before, when you get home from work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

I'd try cutting chunks out of a used mountain bike tire. Wrap them around the
wheel, cut them a fraction short, then stich them on using baling wire, probably
on the sides where the wire won't wear. Twist the wire tight to make them snug.
The tire bead may be the strongest place to wire them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 3:15*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Prof Wonmug wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

3 YO and Hot Wheels

I'd like to know who signed off on using pavers/tile in supermarkets,
especially with the huge grout lines.

Don't you think they'd want a flat surface so that customers have a
nice relaxing experience and might want to hang out longer?

I can't wait to get out any areas with pavers (typically the produce
department and sometimes the bakery) to get away from the clunk clunk
clunk of the shopping cart wheels.

If they think that they make people slow down in those departments, it
doesn't work for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best material to floor the grocery

Wear ear plugs, and walk up and down for an hour or so?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'd like to know who signed off on using pavers/tile in supermarkets,
especially with the huge grout lines.

Don't you think they'd want a flat surface so that customers have a
nice relaxing experience and might want to hang out longer?

I can't wait to get out any areas with pavers (typically the produce
department and sometimes the bakery) to get away from the clunk clunk
clunk of the shopping cart wheels.

If they think that they make people slow down in those departments, it
doesn't work for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 6:17*pm, aemeijers wrote:
(You did it again, Stormin- the message you were replying to vanished
because of your top posting and sig delimeter, and the original never
made it to my server. Reply at bottom where it belongs.)

*Wear ear plugs, and walk up and down for an hour or so?

*-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesuswww.lds.org.

*"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'd like to know who signed off on using pavers/tile in supermarkets,
especially with the huge grout lines. Don't you think they'd want a flat
surface so that customers have a nice relaxing experience and might
want to hang out longer? I can't wait to get out any areas with pavers
(typically the produce department and sometimes the bakery) to get away
from the clunk clunk clunk of the shopping cart wheels. If they think
that they make people slow down in those departments, it doesn't work
for me.

They use clay tile for three main reasons- style, easy upkeep, and
reduced slip'n'fall accidents. The 12" commercial vinyl? tile that most
stores had for last 40-some years, with normal commercial wax on top, is
very slippery when wet. In produce section, a single dropped grape can
put a customer on their ass. In wet/winter weather, low person on
employee totem pole spends pretty much their entire shift pushing the
mop bucket around. The clay tile has a matte surface, and only needs a
deep cleaning/sealing every few months. You can wet-mop all day, and it
is safe to walk on in seconds.

Not to mention that they don't want you to hang around all day. It's
not a bar.