Posted to alt.home.repair
rmorton[_3_] rmorton[_3_] is offline

Default Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

On 5/3/2010 12:34 PM, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

Wheels of the correct size and rubber tired are available from most of
the can manufacturers. Check the can to see who the manufacturer is and
then contact them for a dealer in your area. Most of the dealers will
sell tires, axles etc to anyone as repair parts. Guess on price would
be about $10 per wheel