Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Best material to floor the grocery

On May 19, 6:17*pm, aemeijers wrote:
(You did it again, Stormin- the message you were replying to vanished
because of your top posting and sig delimeter, and the original never
made it to my server. Reply at bottom where it belongs.)

*Wear ear plugs, and walk up and down for an hour or so?

*-- Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesuswww.lds.org.

*"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I'd like to know who signed off on using pavers/tile in supermarkets,
especially with the huge grout lines. Don't you think they'd want a flat
surface so that customers have a nice relaxing experience and might
want to hang out longer? I can't wait to get out any areas with pavers
(typically the produce department and sometimes the bakery) to get away
from the clunk clunk clunk of the shopping cart wheels. If they think
that they make people slow down in those departments, it doesn't work
for me.

They use clay tile for three main reasons- style, easy upkeep, and
reduced slip'n'fall accidents. The 12" commercial vinyl? tile that most
stores had for last 40-some years, with normal commercial wax on top, is
very slippery when wet. In produce section, a single dropped grape can
put a customer on their ass. In wet/winter weather, low person on
employee totem pole spends pretty much their entire shift pushing the
mop bucket around. The clay tile has a matte surface, and only needs a
deep cleaning/sealing every few months. You can wet-mop all day, and it
is safe to walk on in seconds.

Not to mention that they don't want you to hang around all day. It's
not a bar.