Posted to alt.home.repair
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

On Mon, 03 May 2010 22:21:50 +0000,
(DA) wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ls-440156-.htm
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Yes, I have a hand truck, but it's in the garage so I'd have to go get
it and then put it back. Also, I have three bins (garbage plus
recycling) to put out. I can make it in 2 trips now. With the hand
truck, I'd need three.

I want better wheels!!!

Well, I hear you. But in my case, for example, I don't actually *own* the
bins - the trash collection company provided them, so I would not want to
mess with them. Also, these bins are built to take quite some beating -
they are being thrown around manually as well as with the hydraulic arm,
so your "enhanced" design would have to include something like
military-grade wheels (and I'm not talking about the kind used on the cart
in the opening scene of "Hurt Locker" )

That's a good point. The gorillas that collect the garbage throw them
around pretty good. That's a strong argument against anything glued to
the existing wheels.

I'm currently leaning toward these semi-pneumatic tires from Global at
$34/pair and rated for 500 lbs:

http://tinyurl.com/37yubl7

Or these fully pneumatic tires from from Amazon at $16/pair and rated
for 300 lbs:

http://tinyurl.com/39l4d5p

I'll probably go with the semi-pneumatic to avoid flats and because
they look sturdier.