Posted to alt.home.repair
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Best material to cover garbage bin wheels

On Mon, 3 May 2010 10:05:47 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

On May 3, 11:34*am, Prof Wonmug wrote:
In our city, we have large bins for garbage and recycling. The bins
have hard plastic wheels. We recently replaced our asphalt driveway
with pavers. The pavers have a much rougher surface than the asphalt.
Now, when I walk the bins out to the curb, the hard plastic wheels
make a horrible racket.

I would like to wrap the wheels with a strip of rubber or something to
muffle the noise. I am planning to go to the local hardware store and
look for a suitable material, but thought I would first ask if anyone
has done this beforfe or has any suggestions for,

a. The right material to use, and

b. The best way to attach it to the wheels.

There is about an inch of clearance in the wheel housing.

You might be able to find similar rubber wheels in Harbor Freight or
your local farm supply store. A little jury-rigging might be needed,
but it's worth a shot.

The existing wheels are 10" diameter x 2" wide with a 22" x 5/8" axle.
The wheels don't have any bushings or bearings. The axles just go
through a 5/8" hole in the plastic in the wheel.

I couldn't find anything at Harbor Freight, but I did find a few other
sources.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/

These guys have all kinds of replacement parts for carts of various
types. They have whole kits including two wheels, 18" axle (too short
for me), washers, and cotter pins. They have fully pneumatic,
semi-pneumatic, and molded rubber. I don't need or want fully
pneumatic. The semi-pneumatic looks good. I assume this means
unpressurized with a thicker tire and smaller air space. The solid
rubber only comes in 8" diameter.

The semi-pneumatic kit is just $34:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...ruck-wheel-kit

Curiously, individual tires are $22 each.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...ner-hand-truck

http://www.amazon.com/10-Pneumatic-T...ef=pd_sbs_ol_5

This is a pair of 300 lb test fully pneumatic tires for $16. If they
were semi-pneumatic, I would be sold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JZ6E417PV3GA78

This is a semi-pneumatic, but the bore is only 1/2". $11 for one.

http://www.northerntool.com/

These guys also have lots of wheels, but I couldn't find any that
looked to be the right size. They also tended to be more expensive.

http://www.hamiltoncaster.com/Catalo...Id=W-10-SU-5/8

This looks to be a very nice tire. At $65, it should be.

http://www.wheeleez.com/utilitywheels.php

About the right size (10" x 2"), but none with 5/8 axle. Most have a
3/4"

http://www.handtrucks.com/hand-truck...4294870594.cfm

Cost $20-$50/wheel and I need 6.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset