Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cable Splitter questions for my internet and tv

Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax
cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable TV
antenna)

Frequency Range (MHz)
5~47 47~950 950~2150 2150~2400
Insertion Loss In Out
4.5 dB 6.0 dB 6.8 dB 7.0 dB
Isolation Out - Out 8 dB 18 dB 18 dB 18 dB
Return Loss In 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB
Return Loss Out 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"vvilliamm" wrote in message
m...
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax
cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

The lower the DB number the beter the splitter. That is a number that
relates to loss. It is a log type scale. One db is about 25% loss. Three
DB is about 50% loss. Ten DB is 90% loss.

The best splitter would have a 3 db loss. This is not obtainable in
practice. 3.5 to 5 depending on frequency would be ok. Anything more than
5 db would be a poorer quality splitter.

As with anything , the advertising does not always mean you will get it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vvilliamm wrote:
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the
coax cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

Heh! Monster Cable has a little side business: Intimidating other for
intellectual property infringement. They protest the issuance of trademarks
containing the name "Monster," including:

* Snow Monsters (a kid's skiing group)
* MonsterVintage, small used clothing store
* Monsters, Inc., an animated feature film
* Monster Garage, a television series
* Monsters of the Midway, a nickname of the Chicago Bears football team
* Fenway Park's Monster seats
* Monster.com employment website
* Monster Mini Golf
* Monster Balls Paintballs manufactured by JT Sports

Some time back they sent a cease-and-desist-or-pay-royalties letter to the
head of Tartan Cables. He wrote back:

"I am "uncompromising" in the most literal sense of the word. If Monster
Cable proceeds with litigation against me I will pursue the same
merits-driven approach; I do not compromise with bullies and I would rather
spend fifty thousand dollars on defense than give you a dollar of unmerited
settlement funds. As for signing a licensing agreement for intellectual
property which I have not infringed: that will not happen, under any
circumstances, whether it makes economic sense or not.

" I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically
operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation,
expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a
quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing
agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to
convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be
clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me.
You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain
a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction."

Monster Cable done farked with the wrong person.

Read the whole letter:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...s-strikes-back

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 4:23*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
vvilliamm wrote:
[...]

Don't know if this will help but - we have both Road Runner and TV
cable. The wire comes into a bedroom from outside - and connects to
the cable modem box and then to the router and then to the computer.
There was no cable box for TV --- choice of occupant. He decided he
wanted a TV in his bedroom so we hooked up a cheap splitter that we
already had to see if it would work ... and it does. He gets basic
cable - which is what the other bedrooms have. There is a digital box
on the large set in the family room with more channels. Suggest you
try an inexpensive splitter before going to any large expense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"vvilliamm" wrote in message
m...
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax
cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

Lower dB is better.

However, for internet use, it should be a 'bidirectional' splitter, since
data needs to go both ways. In most cases a normal one-way splitter will
work, but a bi-directional one is best. They are also the hardest to find.
Also, terminate all unused ports on whatever splitter you do get - to keep
CATV signals in and stray signals out, resulting in a better picture.
Termination caps are available at Home Cheapo. They don't cost much, maybe
50 cents each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vvilliamm wrote:
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax
cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable TV
antenna)

Frequency Range (MHz)
5~47 47~950 950~2150 2150~2400
Insertion Loss In Out
4.5 dB 6.0 dB 6.8 dB 7.0 dB
Isolation Out - Out 8 dB 18 dB 18 dB 18 dB
Return Loss In 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB
Return Loss Out 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB

-------------------------------------

They make special splitters for that
application. There is a high
pass filter for TV and a low pass filter
for the internet connection.
By doing it this way, there is lower
loss on each output. But a
regular splitter would probably work in
most houses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

vvilliamm wrote:
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax
cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable TV
antenna)

Frequency Range (MHz)
5~47 47~950 950~2150 2150~2400
Insertion Loss In Out
4.5 dB 6.0 dB 6.8 dB 7.0 dB
Isolation Out - Out 8 dB 18 dB 18 dB 18 dB
Return Loss In 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB
Return Loss Out 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB

-------------------------------------

Have you checked with your cable company? They have splitters that
they use for your purpose. You may be able to get one free, and it
will work.

Beyond that almost any splitter will work. You definitely don't have
to pay the ridiculous prices that Monster charges for their products.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:11:28 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"vvilliamm" wrote in message
om...
[...]

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 15:11:28 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"vvilliamm" wrote in message
m...
[...]

True. A splitter is also a coupler depending on how it's installed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
vvilliamm wrote:
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the coax
cable so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv. having
higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video
VCR Cable TV antenna)

Have you checked with your cable company? They have splitters that
they use for your purpose. You may be able to get one free, and it
will work.

Beyond that almost any splitter will work. You definitely don't have
to pay the ridiculous prices that Monster charges for their products.

Bill

Monster does charge a very high price for what you get. I would look at any
other brand first. The Monster company has many items that are really
sucker items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

"i want to use an splitter on the coax cable so it will make it
one for my router and one for my tv. "

Please explain what you are trying to split.

A typical installation splits the incoming cable to the cable box/TV
and the cable modem for internet (and phone if included). The cable
company usually provides a splitter spec-ed for their equipment for
this purpose.

You said you want to split the cable for the TV and the *router*. The
router usually gets connected to the cable modem, not the incoming
cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Please explain what you are trying to split.

Please explain why you're responding to commercial advertising on
usenet, and why when you insist on doing so, you repost the spam link.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:20:45 -0400, Tony
wrote:

[snip]

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

True. A splitter is also a coupler depending on how it's installed.

For several years, I've used one (a cheap 2-way splitter) as a
combiner to distribute video. From any TV in my house, I can watch any
(analog) cable channel, a DVD on channel 90, or the camera at the
front door on channel 94.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M." wrote in message
"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

For the most part you will have only one IN device and many out devices. It
makes the labeling simple.
The splitter for the cable modem is marked that way but itis bi-directional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

vvilliamm wrote:
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the
coax cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters

Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db

PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable
TV antenna)

Frequency Range (MHz)
5~47 47~950 950~2150 2150~2400
Insertion Loss In Out
4.5 dB 6.0 dB 6.8 dB 7.0 dB
Isolation Out - Out 8 dB 18 dB 18 dB 18 dB
Return Loss In 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB
Return Loss Out 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB

Get the cheapest one you can find (i.e., maybe 98¢) and give it a try. I
think you'll be satisfied.

I've got two TVs hooked up to our cable and these TVs have to meander
through about three (cheap) splitters each. Download speeds vary between
5Mbs and 10Mbs.

If you try a cheap splitter and your TV's fuzzy, missing channels, whatever,
or your computer acts flakey, well, you can try the recommended splitter
(certainly not the Monster Cable brand).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 8:03*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
vvilliamm wrote:
[...]

(certainly not the Monster Cable brand).- Hide quoted text -

"If you try a cheap splitter and your TV's fuzzy..."

My solution to fuzzy TV's on the second floor was to run a single
cable from the splitter in the basement to an amplifier in the attic
and then split the amp's output to the 3 bedroom TV's.

It's just basic cable in the bedrooms, so I don't need bi-directional
components.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 11, 8:03 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
vvilliamm wrote:
[...]

Hi,
To keep in mind, amp. amplifies signal as well as noise.
In many cases cable signal is too strong rather than too weak.
Use good component and cable. A month or so ago, I couldn't order a
pay per view program all of a sudden. No other problems watching any
channel including HD and internet was working fine too. Lo and behold I
traced the problem to a 3 way splitter at the cable entrance in the
basement. Replaced it and problem was gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:35:08 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
.. .

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

Most people are intellectually-challenged and couldn't tolerate the
more correct (but slightly more complicated) naming.

I have seen one where one of the connections is labeled "in/out" and
the others are labeled "out/in". The thing itself is no different from
any other splitter.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:26:48 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

[snip]

Hi,
To keep in mind, amp. amplifies signal as well as noise.

True. For an amp to be useful, you need a good signal at it's input
(an amp won't correct a weak signal coming in).

In many cases cable signal is too strong rather than too weak.

True. Do you have a good way to tell which problem (too weak signal or
too strong signal) you have?

Use good component and cable. A month or so ago, I couldn't order a
pay per view program all of a sudden.

I've now replaced all the old (RG-59) cable in this house. It made a
lot of difference.

No other problems watching any
channel including HD and internet was working fine too. Lo and behold I
traced the problem to a 3 way splitter at the cable entrance in the
basement. Replaced it and problem was gone.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:35:08 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
.. .

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

"Lying by simplification". Simple minds shut down when exposed to
accurate (but less simple) labeling. They need it (labels) limited to
what THEY do. They do nothing else (very limited imagination) then
what they're told.

Notice that there's a "vicious cycle" here.

Simple minds lead to simple labels.
Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 11:44*am, Gary H wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:35:08 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:
"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
.. .

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. *If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

"Lying by simplification". Simple minds shut down when exposed to
accurate (but less simple) labeling. They need it (labels) limited to
what THEY do. They do nothing else (very limited imagination) then
what they're told.

Notice that there's a "vicious cycle" here.

Simple minds lead to simple labels.
Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).

Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).

I prefer my believers to be accurately labeled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:44:56 -0500, Gary H
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:35:08 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
. ..

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

"Lying by simplification". Simple minds shut down when exposed to
accurate (but less simple) labeling. They need it (labels) limited to
what THEY do. They do nothing else (very limited imagination) then
what they're told.

Notice that there's a "vicious cycle" here.

Simple minds lead to simple labels.
Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).

Many splitters have different "gain ratios" depending how they are
connected. Actually, it is loss, not gain - but I have seen them
advertised as such. From the "in" to one out may have 18dB
attenuation, while another port may have 9dB. The old 6way I used to
use says 18dB on each port. The new 3 Way Regal splitters Rogers
installed at the last upgrade says 7db on 2 outputs and 3.5 on the
third.
You can cascade 2 splitters and have 3X 7dB outputs and 2X 10.5 dB
outputs
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

AFAIK, ALL splitters are bidirectional. Perhaps you're confusing
splitters and amplifiers.

Not talking about amps. If splitters are bi-directional, then why do they
have one "In" and many "Out" ports?

"Lying by simplification". Simple minds shut down when exposed to
accurate (but less simple) labeling. They need it (labels) limited to
what THEY do. They do nothing else (very limited imagination) then
what they're told.

Notice that there's a "vicious cycle" here.

Simple minds lead to simple labels.
Simple labels lead to simple minds (at least in believers).

Many splitters have different "gain ratios" depending how they are
connected. Actually, it is loss, not gain - but I have seen them
advertised as such.

Both gain or loss are ratios here, and are the same thing but opposite
sign. A positive loss would be a negative gain.

From the "in" to one out may have 18dB
attenuation, while another port may have 9dB. The old 6way I used to
use says 18dB on each port. The new 3 Way Regal splitters Rogers
installed at the last upgrade says 7db on 2 outputs and 3.5 on the
third.

That could be two 2-way splitters in that package.

You can cascade 2 splitters and have 3X 7dB outputs and 2X 10.5 dB
outputs

4-way followed by 2-way.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...tv-388155-.htm
Bartolo wrote:
This thread shows up in Google and even though it is old I thought I would reply to it.

If you are looking to split only "standard cable," then a cheapie splitter probably will work fine. HD signals and internet signals are much higher frequency than standard tv, and a splitter rated up to 2GHz is recommended. Modern cable systems (FiOS, Comcast) rely on an internet connection as well as a cable tv connection to each cable box in your home (each cable box gets an IP address), and with a cheapie splitter your box may receive the tv signal, but not the internet signal. So everything will work until you try to use On Demand, Pay Per View, etc.

Many in this thread bash the Monster products, but at $9.99 on Amazon with free shipping, I do not consider their top of the line 5Hz - 2GHz splitter to be over-priced. It's a small price to pay for reliable tv AND internet service. In fact, a "cheapie" splitter at Radio Shack is the exact same price -- $9.99

vvilliamm wrote:
Which one of these Cable Splitters are better? for my internet and tv?
I recently got Roadrunner cable and i want to use an splitter on the
coax
cable
so it will make it one for my router and one for my tv.
having higher DB better or worse? here i have two different splitters
Monster Cable 2-Way MKII RF Splitter
Low-Loss output
5mhz-1ghz 3.5db
1-2ghz 4.9db
PREMIUM 2 way Splitter F type Screw - 5~2400 MHz (for Video VCR Cable TV
antenna)
Frequency Range (MHz)
5~47 47~950 950~2150 2150~2400
Insertion Loss In Out
4.5 dB 6.0 dB 6.8 dB 7.0 dB
Isolation Out - Out 8 dB 18 dB 18 dB 18 dB
Return Loss In 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB
Return Loss Out 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB 8 dB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bartolo wrote:

Many in this thread bash the Monster products, but at $9.99 on Amazon
with free shipping, I do not consider their top of the line 5Hz -
2GHz splitter to be over-priced. It's a small price to pay for
reliable tv AND internet service. In fact, a "cheapie" splitter at
Radio Shack is the exact same price -- $9.99

Irrespective of the price/quality of Monster Cable (spit) products, their
business morality is reprehensible. I refer you to correspondence in reply
to a "Demand" and "Cease and Desist" letter from Monster Cable's lawyers to
Blue Jeans Cable.

Here it is (PDF)
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/...onse041408.pdf

Warning: The letter is long, but fascinating.

Introduction:

"Dear Monster Lawyers,

"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest
whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster
Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's,
in form or in function, the better."

Here's the money quote:

"I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically
operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation,
expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a
quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing
agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to
convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be
clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me.
You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain
a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction. It
may be that my inability to see the pragmatic value of settling frivolous
claims is a deep character flaw, and I am sure a few of the insurance
carriers for whom I have done work have seen it that way; but it is how I
have done business for the last quarter-century and you are not going to
change my mind. If you sue me, the case will go to judgment, and I will
hold the court's attention upon the merits of your claims--or, to speak more
precisely, the absence of merit from your claims--from start to finish. Not
only am I unintimidated by litigation; I sometimes rather miss it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 19:12:45 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Bartolo wrote:

Many in this thread bash the Monster products, but at $9.99 on Amazon
with free shipping, I do not consider their top of the line 5Hz -
2GHz splitter to be over-priced. It's a small price to pay for
reliable tv AND internet service. In fact, a "cheapie" splitter at
Radio Shack is the exact same price -- $9.99

Irrespective of the price/quality of Monster Cable (spit) products, their
business morality is reprehensible. I refer you to correspondence in reply
to a "Demand" and "Cease and Desist" letter from Monster Cable's lawyers to
Blue Jeans Cable.

I don't about Monster, never ordered from them.
But when I put one splitter too many to run 4 TV's and my internet
connection, I got a bad TV signal.
Bought a Motorola signal booster for 30-40 bucks.
Fixed it all up by using the booster fed by the first splitter and all
the TV splitters are fed by the booster.
Left the cable modem unboosted as the feed off first splitter.
Read that shouldn't be boosted.
Supposedly the cable company will come and put a booster in free but I
didn't want to deal with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bartolo wrote:

[...]

My cable company came in and replaced all the old cable with 100%
sheilded, and all splitters - free of charge (well, actually I paid
well for them over all the years I;ve been their customer)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Bartolo wrote:

[...]

Satellite companies will do the same. They don't fishing cables through
walls, though, so I did that myself before they came.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-17, Bartolo wrote:

In fact, a "cheapie" splitter at Radio Shack is the exact same
price....

There is absolutely nothing about Radio Shack that is cheap, except
the merchandise!

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-10-17, Bartolo wrote:
In fact, a "cheapie" splitter at Radio Shack is the exact same
price....

There is absolutely nothing about Radio Shack that is cheap, except
the merchandise!

You guys do realize that you are replying to a THREE YEAR OLD thread from HOMEOWNER'S HUB, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bartolo wrote:
This thread shows up in Google and even though it is old I thought I would reply to it.

If you are looking to split only "standard cable," then a cheapie splitter probably will work fine. HD signals and
internet signals are much higher frequency than standard tv, and a splitter rated up to 2GHz is recommended.

They are not higher here.

As to internet, my modem shows the frequencies used. Downstream in on
channel 95 (which is just above 22). Upstream in on one of the "T"
channels (below 2, not normally used for TV).

Local channels in HD use TV channels 98 and 99 (just below 23).

I don't know about the encrypted HD channels, but neither internet not
local HD uses higher frequencies.

Internet (and, probably, encrypted channels) require an upstream path,
which is likely on a LOWER frequency. This needs to be considered when
choosing a splitter.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The only spiritual disease is righteousness, and only religious people
have it."