Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do these numbers on a cable splitter really mean?

Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where
it comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It
has output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a
7dB terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

Thank fred.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a 7dB
terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

The 'db's are attenuation. The signal from the 3.5 db output is TWICE as
big
as from a 7 db output. He merely doubled the signal to your cable modem,
which is reasonable. If you still have good pictures on your tvs, all is
cool and good.

Lee h

Thank fred.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where it
comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It has
output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a 7dB
terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

The numbers on the splitter tell how much signal loss there is in the
splitter. To split a signal 2 ways requires atleast a 3 db loss. From that
you can split it more and each time you will get more loss. Internally your
splitter seems to split the signal to two parts and one goes to the 3db
port. The other goes to another internal splittter and that split gives you
the 7 db loss for each output. It is a log scale so that means a 3 db will
loose half the power, 6 db will loose 75% of the power, 7 db will loose
about 80 % of the power, 10 db will loose 90% . The db loss numbers add so
that 3 +3 = 6. There will usually be some fractions left over in the losses
so that is why you get 3.5 and 7 for the losses. Cable modems usually need
more signal to work than the tv sets. My cable comes to a 2 way splitter.
One goes directly to the cable modem and the other goes to another splitter
that goes to the other tv sets in the house. The modem works fine and the
TV sets (one with digital box, two with the basics) have good vidio on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have to be sure it is a 1ghz splitter and not a 900 mhz for the internet
portion of it. Digital TV does better through the gigahertz splitter also.
They're kind of hard to find except through the cable co. But not
impossible. Try radio shack.

--
Steve Barker

"Fred Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where it
comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It has
output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a 7dB
terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

Thank fred.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred Wilson wrote:
Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where
it comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It
has output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a
7dB terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

Thank fred.

For one thing, the signal coming from the 3.5dB port is 3.5dB stronger
than that from the 7dB port, the numbers in question being the level of
attenuation relative to the input port. That increase in signal level
might have been just what was needed to improve the situation. Of course
it might have been just a bad connection and any disconnect-reconnect
might have fixed it just as well.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fred Wilson wrote:
Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where
it comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It
has output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a
7dB terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

Thank fred.

Hi,
That splitter must have some attenuator(simple resistor netowork or
such) built-in. Any splitter, connector introduces certain amount of
signal loss. When source signal is marginal this can become an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Follow-up if I may...

So is it possible to drive the signal too much?

Where might I find the best splitter to up in there? I have the modem
off one leg and a digital tv off the other. Can I get a splitter that
directly passes through the signal on both output legs with no signal loss?

Thanks.

Fred

Fred Wilson wrote:
Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where
it comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It
has output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a
7dB terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

Thank fred.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:
You have to be sure it is a 1ghz splitter and not a 900 mhz for the internet
portion of it. Digital TV does better through the gigahertz splitter also.
They're kind of hard to find except through the cable co. But not
impossible. Try radio shack.

Hmm,
900MHz vs. 1000NHz(1 GHz, so that ~10% difference makes visible
difference. You must be a fan of those super expensive Monster cables.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fred Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Follow-up if I may...

So is it possible to drive the signal too much?

Where might I find the best splitter to up in there? I have the modem off
one leg and a digital tv off the other. Can I get a splitter that directly
passes through the signal on both output legs with no signal loss?

Normally you can not have too much signal comming from the main cable. You
can not get a splitter with out any loss. Think of the signal as money in
the bank. YOu only have so much to start with. It is up to you to decide
on what to do with it. If you spend a lot on food, it leaves less for say
playing golf. You decide if you want stake or hambuger and a good set of
clubs or a less expensive set. You can get a booster or amplifier for the
signals to the TV sets if they are not clear.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:44:18 -0400, Fred Wilson
wrote:

Hello all,

I have been having problems with my cable modem. I split the line where
it comes in the house. One leg to my modem, the other to the TV.

My internet kept dropping signal. I was sure to get a splitter that
provided a direct pass-thru to 7dB on both outputs.

There is a three way splitter on the line coming in from you pole. It
has output 7dB, 7dB, and 3.5dB.

Anyway, the cable guy came out and switched the hookup on the three-way
splitter. He took the line that goes to my cable modem and TV off of a
7dB terminal and out it on the 3.5dB terminal. All is well now.

how is this possible?

All you have to do is unscrew the cables, and interchange them.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I can't really answer your question I think, except to say that those
numbers do not represent output levels. For one thing, since no one
knows what the input level will be. And splitters are passive, so
output depends on input. So 7db is not more than 3.5.

Rather, when not referring to sound itself, I think decibels are a
ratio, and 3.5 decibels represents how much signal loss there is going
through this splitter. So 7db would be more loss than 3.5, not more
signal.

I don't have cable internet, but I had cable tv and still have lots of
tv's running off the output of my vcrs. For every three splitters I
put into the system, I would have to put in one signal amplifier (or
amp/splitter combination).

I have 6 tv's that will show the same thing, whatever comes out of the
vcrs or the master antenna. And to do that I had to put in 2 signal
amplifiers. How they will work with cable internet, if I ever get it,
I don't know.

Thank fred.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The numbers are pure ratios. They are really loss ratios so the lower the
number the less loss. Whatever the input signal is , the output will be
that many db lower. As I mentioned above the ratio is a log function and
while 3 db is twice or half as much (the spliters may not show the negative
sign to indicate loss), 6 db is 4 times or 1/4 as much depending on gain or
loss.

If you get cable internet, usually a splitter is put in so that the modem is
fed with a 3 db loss port. Then if you want more than one computer , you
get a router and run cat 5 cable to each computer or use a wireless router.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually not. Won't even look at them. But my RR modem will not work
through a 900 Mhz splitter and works flawlessly with the 1Ghz splitter that
is on it now. And yes, it makes a visible difference. Otherwise there
wouldn't be such an animal.

Screw monster cables. They're for yuppies kids.

--
Steve Barker

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:
You have to be sure it is a 1ghz splitter and not a 900 mhz for the
internet portion of it. Digital TV does better through the gigahertz
splitter also. They're kind of hard to find except through the cable co.
But not impossible. Try radio shack.

Hmm,
900MHz vs. 1000NHz(1 GHz, so that ~10% difference makes visible
difference. You must be a fan of those super expensive Monster cables.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:56:58 GMT, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

You have to be sure it is a 1ghz splitter and not a 900 mhz for the internet
portion of it. Digital TV does better through the gigahertz splitter also.
They're kind of hard to find except through the cable co. But not
impossible. Try radio shack.

Higher frequency splitters are easier to find now that they are used
for satellite.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You have to be sure it is a 1ghz splitter and not a 900 mhz for the internet
portion of it. Digital TV does better through the gigahertz splitter also.
They're kind of hard to find except through the cable co. But not
impossible. Try radio shack.

My cable modem is a Motorola SB5120, which can provide information
about the connection. According to its status page, the downstream
(receive) channel is on 117MHz (channel 99) and the upstream channel
is on 35MHz (T-12?, below channel 2).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Decibels do indicate ratios. 3db loss means 2:1 power ratio. Since
perfection doesn't exist, the loss through a normal 2-way splitter
will be greater than that.

I don't have cable internet, but I had cable tv and still have lots of
tv's running off the output of my vcrs. For every three splitters I
put into the system, I would have to put in one signal amplifier (or
amp/splitter combination).

Note that the need for amplification depends on the actual signal
levels, no simple rule will always apply. If needed, an amplifier
should be located BEFORE the cause of signal loss.

I have 6 tv's that will show the same thing, whatever comes out of the
vcrs or the master antenna.

I have a similar setup. I can tune any of my TVs to channel 70, to
watch whatever is playing on my main A/V system (although this doesn't
yet include HD). This is switched between cable, satellite, DVD, and
computer A/V.

In my setup, the incoming cable first goes to a 2-way splitter, with
one output dedicated to a cable modem (digital cable would require the
same setup), then it's combined with the output of my channel 70+
modulators (for local distribution), then to a distribution amplifier
(really an amp and a splitter in the same package) and the necessary
splitters to reach every TV in the house (as well as recording
devices: VCR, PVR, etc.). Only one amplifier is needed even though I'm
distributing signal to 10 devices (6 TVs, VCR, 2 PVRs, computer video
digitizer).

And to do that I had to put in 2 signal
amplifiers. How they will work with cable internet, if I ever get it,
I don't know.

A cable modem is a 2-way device, and so cannot be used across an
amplifier unless that amplifier is designed to work both ways. The
upstream channel normally uses a frequency lower than any normal TV
channel (54MHz).

Thank fred.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:34:19 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

And to do that I had to put in 2 signal
amplifiers. How they will work with cable internet, if I ever get it,
I don't know.

A cable modem is a 2-way device, and so cannot be used across an
amplifier unless that amplifier is designed to work both ways. The
upstream channel normally uses a frequency lower than any normal TV
channel (54MHz).

OK. Maybe I'll get DSL instead, or just reside in dial-up land until
I get a raise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And to do that I had to put in 2 signal
amplifiers. How they will work with cable internet, if I ever get it,
I don't know.

A cable modem is a 2-way device, and so cannot be used across an
amplifier unless that amplifier is designed to work both ways. The
upstream channel normally uses a frequency lower than any normal TV
channel (54MHz).

OK. Maybe I'll get DSL instead, or just reside in dial-up land until
I get a raise.

Maybe you don't need an amplifier for a cable modem, if you split the
signal to IT first. That's what I have here.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, im2late wrote:
Actually that is incorrect. The ratings of -7dv, -7db and -3.5 db refer to the
signal LOSS when the signal passes through those outputs. A two way splitter
will lose 3.5 db on each output, but on some three way splitters, one output
loses 3.5 and the other 3.5 loss is doubled on the 2nd and 3rd output
(i.e.-7db signal loss per output.) I would suggest connecting your most
"demanding" or important device to the -3.5 output on the splitter for less
signal loss.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...an-126562-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ralph Mowery, shawn wrote:
hi so what is the differens from -17db to +15db? witch one is the bast? as i
can understand-17db is be
better than + 15db. thx

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-126562-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

replying to Ralph Mowery, shawn wrote:
hi so what is the differens from -17db to +15db? witch one is the bast? as i
can understand-17db is be
better than + 15db. thx

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-126562-.htm

I don't fully understand what you are asking.

A splitter can not have a + db number. If there is an amplifier , then
you can get + db.

Think of the signal starting out as 0 db. Any positive number will be
gain, the larger the number,the more gain. Any negative number will be
loss. The larger the number after the - sign will be greater loss.
That is a -3 db would be less loss than -6 db.

Each 3 db is twice the signal or twice the loss. Every 10 db is 10
times. It is a log scale. Where 3 db is 2 times, 6 db is 4 time and 10
db is 10 times. 13 db would be 20 times the gain or loss.16 db would be
40 times the gain or loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Twice signal power is different from twice signal. You would need twice the
voltage to double signal, or 4 times the power or 6dB. I like voltage.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ralph Mowery, Sean Peak wrote:
I keep losing Internet service, I have 4 rooms for cable TV which is provided
by my Internet service provider. Main line comes in to a 4 way splitter , main
line to the Input, rest to tv''s and my Internet an I have good tv quality but
costantly losing my Internet service. Why?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...an-126562-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2017 9:44 PM, Sean Peak wrote:
replying to Ralph Mowery, Sean Peak wrote:
I keep losing Internet service, I have 4 rooms for cable TV which is
provided
by my Internet service provider. Main line comes in to a 4 way splitter
, main
line to the Input, rest to tv''s and my Internet an I have good tv
quality but
costantly losing my Internet service. Why?

Hard to say. It may not even be your house. When I had problems with
drop outs they found a connection problem two streets away. Could be
your router, could be a connection. Have you called your provider? They
have instruments to check signal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Hard to say. It may not even be your house. When I had problems with
drop outs they found a connection problem two streets away. Could be
your router, could be a connection. Have you called your provider? They
have instruments to check signal.

I had such cable problems (frequent loss of internet connection, a lot
of bup-bup-bup (erratic short audio/video dropouts) on TV, etc.). I had
to have one of their (cable company's) technicians out. He was good and
found a 30-foot section of cable causing an erratic 14dB loss. After
replacing that, everything was OK.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"When religion comes in at the door common sense goes out at the
window." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other
Essays_]

How would you split a coax cable at the end? miamicuse Home Repair 7 January 2nd 07 02:21 AM
Cable Identification Adebisi UK diy 28 April 7th 06 04:06 PM
CATV - Cable Signal Leak pray4surf Home Repair 15 December 22nd 04 02:19 AM
WWII touching Biesemeyer Splitter !!!!!!!! lwwise Woodworking 14 December 23rd 03 08:52 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM