Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave-range hood combo

We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

IMNSHO one of the reasons for a range hood is the exhausting of noxious
fumes. The filters in most systems are no more than cooling systems that
remove the oil and grease droplets. If you want to have everyone in the
house share in the delights of cooking fumes (bacon, onions, overfried,
burnt stuff etc), then by all means blow the fumes back into the house.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

Yes, they are about useless. Consider that millions of home have no vent at
all, you can survive without one. The recirculating filters do trap some of
the grease, but none of the heat if that is an issue. Not much better than
having nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

The ventless type are perfectly fine, provided you don't cook. Be sure they
run a dedicated circuit for this unit, and not try to use the old hood
wiring

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:52*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. *When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. *It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

I had one. It sucked. Or, rather, it failed to suck. It was just
like having
nothing at all. We got rid of it and ducted out through the roof.

I couldn't be happier with it. Cooking smells and excess heat and
steam
actually leave the house now instead of just rolling around the HVAC
system.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:52 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what
are your comments.

I had one. It sucked. Or, rather, it failed to suck. It was just
like having nothing at all.

Agreed. That arrangement sucks. I have that, I hate it, but
I wasn't around when it was decided. Whatever you can do to
vent to the outside, do it. It might even be required by law
where you live.

nancy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:52 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what
are your comments.

I had one. It sucked. Or, rather, it failed to suck. It was just
like having
nothing at all. We got rid of it and ducted out through the roof.

I couldn't be happier with it. Cooking smells and excess heat and
steam
actually leave the house now instead of just rolling around the HVAC
system.

Cindy Hamilton

Venting outside also doesn't set off the smoke alarm...

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:52 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what
are your comments.

I had one. It sucked. Or, rather, it failed to suck. It was just
like having
nothing at all. We got rid of it and ducted out through the roof.

I couldn't be happier with it. Cooking smells and excess heat and
steam
actually leave the house now instead of just rolling around the HVAC
system.

Cindy Hamilton

Venting outside also doesn't set off the smoke alarm...

Hi,
It all depends how heavily the oven is used. If it is used for regular
cooking often, it's bad idea. Any Smoke, grease, and smell. Yuch!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

IMNSHO one of the reasons for a range hood is the exhausting of noxious
fumes. The filters in most systems are no more than cooling systems that
remove the oil and grease droplets. If you want to have everyone in the
house share in the delights of cooking fumes (bacon, onions, overfried,
burnt stuff etc), then by all means blow the fumes back into the house.

Some of these units have a carbon filter. Even when they don't (like in
most uWave over the oven units), it seems to me that a good bit of the odor
goes with the "oil & grease."

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess it's unanimous. I will duct the exhaust to the outside.
Thanks for the replies,
G.S.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:52:47 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Gordon,

One other thing to consider with the microwave/vent combo other than whether
to vent inside or out (and I vote out for the record!) is the issue of
having the microwave over the stove. It can be a bit of a hassle if you do
much cooking and have others helping. With one person trying to get access
to the microwave while someone else is trying to use the cook top it can get
aggravating.

Also, pay close attention to the mounting height requirements. The guy
that remodeled my mom's kitchen didn't and it was much too close to the cook
top. Besides the obvious safety issues, the heat from the cook top caused
the plastic on the front of the microwave to become brittle and it ended up
cracking.

Mark

wrote:

We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
Hey Gordon,

One other thing to consider with the microwave/vent combo other than
whether to vent inside or out (and I vote out for the record!) is the
issue of having the microwave over the stove. It can be a bit of a hassle
if you do much cooking and have others helping. With one person trying to
get access to the microwave while someone else is trying to use the cook
top it can get aggravating.

Also, pay close attention to the mounting height requirements. The guy
that remodeled my mom's kitchen didn't and it was much too close to the
cook top. Besides the obvious safety issues, the heat from the cook top
caused the plastic on the front of the microwave to become brittle and it
ended up cracking.

Mark

Having owned several, I would never ever ever put a microwave over a stove
for any reason. You're trying to get into a microwave to get out something
that's very hot, and you're at chest high level or so with a stove full of
hot stuff right next to your crotch. Plus, all that grease and steam go
straight up from the stove into the mw. Even hoods have to be
professionally cleaned occasionally.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I guess it's unanimous. I will duct the exhaust to the outside.
Thanks for the replies,

You will still need to put a microwave someplace. When I get around to
redoing my kitchen I plan to mount one under the cabinets. Like this one:

Sharp R-1214
http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...58,741,00.html

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I guess it's unanimous. I will duct the exhaust to the outside.
Thanks for the replies,

You will still need to put a microwave someplace. When I get around to
redoing my kitchen I plan to mount one under the cabinets. Like this one:

Sharp R-1214
http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...58,741,00.html

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Everyone has their preferences. I would never have one that isn't open on
all sides, even if in a slightly bigger slide in cabinet, but with the
proper clearances on all sides. I've just seen (and had) too many that got
goopy over time with the steam and oily smoke. We are getting ready for a
full kitchen remodel, and you can bet the microwave will be banished to its
own location away from the stove, with adequate countertop space beside and
in front of it. Last time, I bought a very nice Panasonic Inverter, and it
only lasted about three years. I would have been ****ed if I had to take it
out and try to find an exact match for that space. As it was, I bought
another brand and slid it in the space. They do make them where one will
interchange into that cutout, but mostly they're not an easy thing to switch
out. And if you've ever switched one out, you know what kind of goop
accumulates in there no matter what ducting you use. Ducting doesn't take
much out of the house, as most of it sticks to the inside of the duct,
particularly on long runs.

imo, ymmv, and all that

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:52*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. *When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. *It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

I have a microcover vent hood that vents outside. But still it is not
good. I have a feeling that the one that doesn't vent to outside is
even worse.

Jay Chan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:19*pm, Jay Chan wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:52*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

We are remodeling our kitchen and the stove will be relocated. *When
range hood ducting was mentioned the sales person suggested getting a
microwave-range hood combination and no ducting would be required. *It
blows through a filter and then back into the kitchen.

Does anyone have experience with this type of arrangement and what are
your comments.

Thanks,
G.S.

I have a microcover vent hood that vents outside. *But still it is not
good. *I have a feeling that the one that doesn't vent to outside is
even worse.

Jay Chan

When we remodeled our kitchen we put the stove in the same place it
had always been but we removed the vent that had been over the stove
- vented to outside through the roof. We put a new microwave over the
stove and the microwave has a vent/fan that is vented outside like the
old one.I am not too tall but can manage the microwave without any
problem and that is even with a burner going on the stove. I don't
have a lot of other people sharing the kitchen with me - three people
live here but no more than two of us are usually in the kitchen at the
same time. The kitchen is very small ... and not having to use
counter space for a microwave is a good thing.