Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Microwave-range hood combo

"Mark" wrote in message
Hey Gordon,

One other thing to consider with the microwave/vent combo other than
whether to vent inside or out (and I vote out for the record!) is the
issue of having the microwave over the stove. It can be a bit of a hassle
if you do much cooking and have others helping. With one person trying to
get access to the microwave while someone else is trying to use the cook
top it can get aggravating.

Also, pay close attention to the mounting height requirements. The guy
that remodeled my mom's kitchen didn't and it was much too close to the
cook top. Besides the obvious safety issues, the heat from the cook top
caused the plastic on the front of the microwave to become brittle and it
ended up cracking.

Mark

Having owned several, I would never ever ever put a microwave over a stove
for any reason. You're trying to get into a microwave to get out something
that's very hot, and you're at chest high level or so with a stove full of
hot stuff right next to your crotch. Plus, all that grease and steam go
straight up from the stove into the mw. Even hoods have to be
professionally cleaned occasionally.

Steve