rob786

Default How to install over-the-hood microwave over gas range

Hi,
We plan to install an over-the-hood microwave over our gas range by
replacing the existing hood. Can you give some tips/advice on how to do
it and what precautions to take regarding the gas/electric lines and
also compatibility of the vents?
Thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski

"rob786" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
We plan to install an over-the-hood microwave over our gas range by
replacing the existing hood. Can you give some tips/advice on how to do
it and what precautions to take regarding the gas/electric lines and
also compatibility of the vents?
Thanks.

The mw is heavy and in an awkward place to lift. Far easier to move the
range out of the way first.

You'll need electric for the mw. Mine is a receptacle inside the cabinet
above. If you are hooking up to existing duct to the outside, you may need
a transition adapter, but the instructions will tell you what is needed.
I've put two different brands in. Both were fairly easy and a bracket was
put in pace first, them the mw was hung on it. Takes maybe 30 to 60
minutes. best done with a helper to lift it in place.

Jeff

We had a GE microwave installed above our stove. Looked like a
straightforward two person job. I believe you can download the directions
from the GE web site to see what is involved, where the vent should be, etc.
Some places code calls for a separate outlet for the microwave, ours is in
the cabinet above the microwave.

"rob786" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
We plan to install an over-the-hood microwave over our gas range by
replacing the existing hood. Can you give some tips/advice on how to do
it and what precautions to take regarding the gas/electric lines and
also compatibility of the vents?
Thanks.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 03 Oct 2005 04:59:53p, rob786 wrote in alt.home.repair:

Hi,
We plan to install an over-the-hood microwave over our gas range by
replacing the existing hood. Can you give some tips/advice on how to do
it and what precautions to take regarding the gas/electric lines and
also compatibility of the vents?
Thanks.

First, it's a fairly easy job, even easier with two people. I only have
experience with the GE line, but their instructions are more than ample for
the average person to do a perfect job. The GEs, at least, have a power cord
with a grounded plug which feeds up through the bottom of the cabinet where
you're installing it. You will need to provide a power outlet in the
cabinet. Most of these units can be vented either through the rear or
through the top into the cabinet. There should be no conflict between your
gas line and the location of the power outlet for the micro.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Brian

Easy job:

find studs, lay template, attach back plate, drill holes in the
cabinet above
for two support screws, insert screws, lift microwave, plug it into the
outlet
insert mw into the back plate (second person would be good), fasten two
screws.

Enjoy.