Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

JiggaHertz

Default OTR Microwave

I have an old range hood that I'm thinking about replacing with an OTR
Microwave, but I have a couple of concerns.

First the hood is currently on a 20A lighting circuit, I don't have a
problem installing an outlet in the cabinet from the current wiring, but
I've never installed a new circuit. Is a dedicated 20A circuit
necessary for an OTR Microwave.

Also, my cabinets are 12" deep and the thinest OTR Microwave I've seen
is 15", so it will stick out at least 3". This assumes the microwave
can be flush against the wall (I'm not sure about the cord and whatever
else protrudes from the back. I thought most of the OTR Microwaves that
I've seen are flush, just wondering if anyone has put one in a 12" deep
cabinet.

Thanks,
JH
Al Bundy

The MW is 15amps so the lighting circuit could be overloaded at
times.
OTR units are usually vented out the front, sometimes with filters.
Don't do anything until you read the installation sheet on the specific
oven.

Percival P. Cassidy

You need to take a look at the installation instructions for whatever
microwave you are thinking of buying.

The OTR microwaves I've installed hang on a plate that is attached to
the wall but also have 2 or 3 bolts that go through the bottom of the
cabinet above into threaded holes in the frame of the MW. Whether these
are within 12" of the wall will depend on the design.

On both OTR microwaves I've installed the power cord comes from the top
of the appliance through a hole in the bottom of the cabinet above, so
you need an outlet in that cabinet.

A dedicated 20A circuit is probably desirable, but the outlet into which
ours is plugged is one of many on a 15A circuit; that's how the old one
was in the house when we bought it. No problems so far, but I am
intending to upgrade it to a dedicated 20A circuit.

Perce

On 04/14/05 10:01 pm JiggaHertz tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup: