Owlman

Default Built-n Microwave air flow??

What is the required area around a microwave that is required for air
flow? We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We've been told we
are required to have a microwave trim kit for a full-sized microwave
in order for their to be sufficient air circulation. The trim kit,
however, is awfully large and is really cutting back on our pantry
space.

Is a trim kit required for a microwave to be within a cabinet? Again,
is their a minimum distance required around the microwave to assure
proper air flow?

Thanx much for your help.
toller

I am on my second one, and I don't have a trim kit; everything is as tight
as can be. But maybe that is why the first one only lasted 21 years!

Good Luck.

pray4surf

:
: Is a trim kit required for a microwave to be within a cabinet? Again,
: is their a minimum distance required around the microwave to assure
: proper air flow?
:
: Thanx much for your help.

Our's owners manual stated clearances, but I did build it tighter - No trim
kit - have 4-1/4" 'slop' on the two sides.

- Opening Dimensions 24"w x 12"h x 13"d (shelf)

Got pix online if you wish to see -

Rick

Rick

TCS

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:54:43 -0800, Owlman wrote:
What is the required area around a microwave that is required for air
flow? We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We've been told we
are required to have a microwave trim kit for a full-sized microwave
in order for their to be sufficient air circulation. The trim kit,
however, is awfully large and is really cutting back on our pantry
space.

Is a trim kit required for a microwave to be within a cabinet? Again,
is their a minimum distance required around the microwave to assure
proper air flow?

Thanx much for your help.

Have you ever considered vising the manufacturer's website and seeing
if you can download and RTFM?

For example:
http://www.google.com/search?q=range...ve+oven+manual
http://www.sharpusa.com/files/mic_dow_OTRinstal.pdf

Al Bundy

If it's blocked in too tight the overheat sensor will shut the MW down.
Eventually that sensor will need to be changed. Usually this happens
when someone cooks for a longer period that allows the magnatron to
get real hot. Warming a coffee wouldn't do it. so if you want to use
your MW to its full potential make sure that exhaust air can move
freely. The back and bottom are generally the exhaust areas. An inch
and a half is sufficient. But of course check the manufacturer's
recommendations.

Phisherman

Depends on the microwave. Some vent to the top, back, or front. If
you have not purchased a microwave yet, check with your local
appliance store. If there are no vent holes on a particular side, most
likely no clearance is needed for that particular face. They do
installations and can provide you all the options. All microwaves
need some space to vent steam/heat and use fan(s). Read the
owner/installation manuals.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:54:43 -0800, Owlman wrote:

What is the required area around a microwave that is required for air
flow? We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We've been told we
are required to have a microwave trim kit for a full-sized microwave
in order for their to be sufficient air circulation. The trim kit,
however, is awfully large and is really cutting back on our pantry
space.

Is a trim kit required for a microwave to be within a cabinet? Again,
is their a minimum distance required around the microwave to assure
proper air flow?

Thanx much for your help.

Al Bundy

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

I've never seen a MW vented on top. I suppose anything is possible, but
MW manufacturere try to protect themselves from liability too much to
do that except in a commercial application where the installation is
custom. The reason is that it's too easy for people to lay something on
top of the oven and block the vent if it's on top. They don't vent on
the side either for similar reasons. When they vent on the bottom or
rear they usually have feet on the bottom or a partially raised piece
of sheet metal on the back to force at least some vent space.