Les

Default Non-Vented Standard Range Hood - Paint or Install New One

I have recently replaced my oven/range unit (now white instead of almond
color) and now need to do something with the non-vented standard range hood
(has light and fan) above it. I can either paint it white or replace it
with a similar hood.

Need some help making a decision what to do

1) What is involved in painting it white? Can I assume I can get some white
paint at a place like Home Depot to paint metal, and after cleaning the hood
good and using masking tape, apply the paint?
2) If I purchase a new hood, is the installation relatively difficult or
simple? I see that there are 3 screws that attach the hood to the cabinet.
Once I open the circuit breaker, and take out the screws, can I assume the
hood will drop down and I would then just disconnect the electric wire
connections between the hood and the source of electrical current? Then
connect and install the new hood?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and helping my make my
decision.

--
Have a great day, except you spammers
To email, remove the obvious

Edwin Pawlowski

"Les" wrote in message

1) What is involved in painting it white? Can I assume I can get some
white
paint at a place like Home Depot to paint metal, and after cleaning the
hood
good and using masking tape, apply the paint?

Pretty much that simple. You can buy spray paint. Done right, it will look
very good, done wrong, it will look like a home made job. Cost to find out
is probably $5. Small risk, potentially great reward.

2) If I purchase a new hood, is the installation relatively difficult or
simple? I see that there are 3 screws that attach the hood to the
cabinet.

Pretty much it for most of them.

Once I open the circuit breaker, and take out the screws, can I assume the
hood will drop down and I would then just disconnect the electric wire
connections between the hood and the source of electrical current? Then
connect and install the new hood?

May be minor variations, but essentially, you've got it.

What would you do?

If it is in otherwise good condition, I'd try the paint.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

ameijers

"Les" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Non-vented are easy, come out pretty much like you said. Just for laughs,
I'd try painting it before you buy a new one- all you have to lose is ten
bucks for paint, and some time. Don't try to paint it in place- it'll never
stick. Take it down, take it outside, and degrease the hell out of it. A
kiddie pool and a long soak in Simple Green or similar, otherwise scrub,
rinse, and repeat till Q-tips in the corners come up pristine. Pull off all
the non-painted parts, of course. There are years of cooking grease in every
little nook and cranny. Then scuff up the paint, and spray it like you would
a car fender, including a coat of primer. My brother did that to the hood in
our Grandmothers old house before we sold it, and it came out looking like a
factory paint job. I visit the house once a year or so (we sold it to some
family friends), and the hood still looks great after 8 years.

aem sends...

Frank Boettcher

I've done both recently.

Painted one for a friend. Went from avocado to black. Did his hood
and range top to match. Came out great, although the range hood was
porcelainized originally and was very difficult to get to rough up to
get an anchor pattern. The hood was easy, however.

I did use Dupont centurian, which is an automotive enamel, and I have
spray equipment. Not sure how it would come out with spray cans and
wouldn't advise brushing.

An earlier poster is right. Five bucks and a little time you might
come out OK. If not, $75-120 for a new one. They are easy to
install, I did one this weekend. You should be able to use the same
screws that hold up the old one. In fact if you are going to paint
the old one, I would advise taking it out to do it anyway. Nothing to
it.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:33:57 GMT, "Les"
wrote:

[...]

I you happen to have a paint gun & compressor setup, I bet it works
great if you first remove it. If not then it will probably look like
crap if you use cans or brush on paint.

New & Improved - N/F John

wrote in message
oups.com...
I you happen to have a paint gun & compressor setup, I bet it works
great if you first remove it. If not then it will probably look like
crap if you use cans or brush on paint.

I don't think it matters if the paint is from a can. I think it's the
person painting. I has to be really clean or stripped of the paint. I had
great results with a can. I was able to obtain a gloss finish with very
little orange peel finish. Patience is important when painting with a can.

Can I put my range hood on my Fridge Circuit [email protected] Home Repair 13 January 3rd 21 01:56 AM
1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Inexpensive fix for a noisy range hood fan? John Home Repair 8 April 27th 05 01:00 PM
exterior paint adhering or not? Gary C Home Repair 3 November 2nd 03 10:57 AM