Frank Boettcher

I've done both recently.

Painted one for a friend. Went from avocado to black. Did his hood
and range top to match. Came out great, although the range hood was
porcelainized originally and was very difficult to get to rough up to
get an anchor pattern. The hood was easy, however.

I did use Dupont centurian, which is an automotive enamel, and I have
spray equipment. Not sure how it would come out with spray cans and
wouldn't advise brushing.

An earlier poster is right. Five bucks and a little time you might
come out OK. If not, $75-120 for a new one. They are easy to
install, I did one this weekend. You should be able to use the same
screws that hold up the old one. In fact if you are going to paint
the old one, I would advise taking it out to do it anyway. Nothing to
it.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 01:33:57 GMT, "Les"
wrote:

I have recently replaced my oven/range unit (now white instead of almond
color) and now need to do something with the non-vented standard range hood
(has light and fan) above it. I can either paint it white or replace it
with a similar hood.

Need some help making a decision what to do

1) What is involved in painting it white? Can I assume I can get some white
paint at a place like Home Depot to paint metal, and after cleaning the hood
good and using masking tape, apply the paint?
2) If I purchase a new hood, is the installation relatively difficult or
simple? I see that there are 3 screws that attach the hood to the cabinet.
Once I open the circuit breaker, and take out the screws, can I assume the
hood will drop down and I would then just disconnect the electric wire
connections between the hood and the source of electrical current? Then
connect and install the new hood?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and helping my make my
decision.