Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magicjack Echo Problem

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

VOIP sucks. I think you should recommend a land line, if it's friends
your talking to. I can barely stand the quality of a typical cell phone
call, and VOIP is ten times worse than that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:45:27 -0600, "Patrick C"
wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

How long did you have it before the echo problem started?

I tried one and found it unreliable.

If you have waited too long to send it back, you might consider
loaning the thing to friends. I would be interested in how many hit
and misses you get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking
of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

VOIP sucks. I think you should recommend a land line, if it's friends
your talking to. I can barely stand the quality of a typical cell phone
call, and VOIP is ten times worse than that.

I bought it mainly to save money being retired. Guess I'll have to live
with poor quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking
of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

How long did you have it before the echo problem started?

Must have had it for a year. Occasional break ups but this echo problem's
constant.

I tried one and found it unreliable.

If you have waited too long to send it back, you might consider
loaning the thing to friends. I would be interested in how many hit
and misses you get.

Good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:14:54 -0600, "Patrick C"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking
of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

VOIP sucks. I think you should recommend a land line, if it's friends
your talking to. I can barely stand the quality of a typical cell phone
call, and VOIP is ten times worse than that.

I bought it mainly to save money being retired. Guess I'll have to live
with poor quality.

Did you give up your phone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:14:54 -0600, "Patrick C"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

[...]

No need it for DSL just saving on long distance etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

Are you using MJ with a conventional telephone, or the computers mic
and speakers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

If you are using MJ with a conventional phone try opening your
computers volume controls and mute a few sliders to see if it solves
your problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 15, 9:27 pm, "Patrick C" wrote:
"metspitzer" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:14:54 -0600, "Patrick C"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

[...]

That is one place where I could see it would still be useful.

It was fun to play with for two weeks, but I knew it could never
replace my phone. Maybe if they came up with a rock solid voice mail
at least, I might give it a try again.

There was one site where I found an echo cancler, but it didn't work
for me. You might have more luck.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...k-echo-problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Marina wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me
through a set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the
procedures to no avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista
and a XP with no change. Wondering if anyone else was having this
problem? Was thinking of purchasing a few more as gifts but won't
with a problem like this. Think I'll recommend Skype instead.

VOIP sucks. I think you should recommend a land line, if it's friends
your talking to. I can barely stand the quality of a typical cell
phone call, and VOIP is ten times worse than that.

Magic Jack is not for people who talk on the phone a lot. I don't, so
that's why I use MJ. If it's a more important call, then I use my cell.
The only problem I have with cells are the people who insist on using
Bluetooth. BT keeps cutting out. They should just talk normally with the
phone held to their ear.

Maybe they don't want to get brain cancer, or a ticket while driving.
Does bluetooth cut out because of noise reduction? Is the squelch level
adjustable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking
of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

Are you using MJ with a conventional telephone, or the computers mic
and speakers?

Tried both conventional phone and headset plugged into sound card, get echo
both ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking
of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

If you are using MJ with a conventional phone try opening your
computers volume controls and mute a few sliders to see if it solves
your problem.

Tried that, was one of their trouble shooting procedures, still echo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"metspitzer" wrote in message
On Nov 15, 9:27 pm, "Patrick C" wrote:
"metspitzer" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:14:54 -0600, "Patrick C"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Patrick C" wrote:

[...]

Mine is the older version problem just became noticeable a few weeks ago.
The TJ echo cancellation utility doesn't seem to work either. It doesn't
seem to run on Vista and runs on XP but didn't help. I thought maybe it's
not compatible with the latest firmware.

I do like the Magicjack, had occasional audio problems but this seems more
annoying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Evan Platt wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:13:34 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

VOIP sucks. I think you should recommend a land line, if it's friends
your talking to. I can barely stand the quality of a typical cell phone
call, and VOIP is ten times worse than that.

Funny, with my Packet8, no one knows the difference.

Second the motion, except when comcast drops the net.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

VOIP sucks. I think you should recommend a land line, if it's friends
your talking to. I can barely stand the quality of a typical cell phone
call, and VOIP is ten times worse than that.

Funny, with my Packet8, no one knows the difference.

Second the motion, except when comcast drops the net.

Lou

This is the least expensive and probably the best telephone service
that I have EVER used!

This service ONLY costs $19.95/year and with a 5 year license
extension it costs only $12.00/year! That's $1.67/month the 1st year
then $1.00/month each year thereafter.

Don't believe any of the BAD PRESS you may hear about the service. I
discovered what the "technical" problem was, because it actually
happened to me. I was having audio and connection problems until I
solved the technical problem of my computer's USB bus drawing over 500
mA, actually 580 mA, with everything plugged into the bus.

My eMachine computer, Model T2882, only has a 250 Watt power supply
and that was working at its limits with all the computer cards and USB
devices that I had plugged into the machine were demanding current.

The attached links is how I solved the problem for less than $20.00!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLoYFE7Svv8

http://drbray.blogspot.com/2008/12/m...k-reality.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. *Support takes me through
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. *Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. *Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? *Was thinking
of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. *Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

If you are using MJ with a conventional phone try opening your
computers volume controls and mute a few sliders to see if it solves
your problem.

Tried that, was one of their trouble shooting procedures, still echo.

Magic Jack (or whatever). Anything that has to advertised on
'Infomercial' TV, along with knives that never dull, plastic gadgets
that claim the impossible etc. should be a warning! Good products get
known and are talked and published about in the right places.

What we have heard is that MJ is anything but a "Just plug in and
play" system as advertised.
The fact that problems are due 'only' to powering via the USP port
also seems unlikely? And any/all of these internet systems have to
connect (at least at the moment) back into the regular (local)
telephone networks to complete calls.

We have tried a couple of different VOIP phone systems/methods. Within
North America and between NA and the middle East. But even downloading
some extra s.ware to 'tune or condition' the audio problems the
quality and getting through on a first attempt were very much a matter
of how well the internet and the local ISP handled it.

With VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) we had similar problems with
echo and delay; also that voice delay was not constant it varied from
moment to moment (probably as packets of data were routed though the
internet suffering various delays?). Same as trying to watch a TV (or
music) feed, live, via the internet.

Using VOIP for voice calls the situation was very much akin to
claiming reliable commuter service getting to work daily by using
several local bus companies between towns! Sometimes works well other
times schedules don't fit!

Cell phone coverage and quality: The phasing out of analog here and
elsewhere, along with the use of various blue tooth gadgets to allow
hands-free while driving seems to have decreased the quality of cell
phone audio to very poor. I almost hate it when one daughter talks to
me from her mobile! Too many repeats "What was that????".

Also the cell phone coverage to, previously 30 or even 50 miles
offshore, has deteriorated. Mainly affecting a few commercial fishers
who previously could make business and personal calls from more
powerful 'bag-phones' (up to 5 watts output AFIK). These are now
useless. Apparently digital use numerous lower power towers and the
cell phones are more complex to provide numerous 'other' services (and
smaller and smaller buttons!), have lower power and longer battery
life.

Comes to mind that the worst combination could be VOIP connecting via
a digital cell phone; with someone who does not speak one's native
language quite as well or with a heavy accent! (What we have here is a
'Failure to communicate'!)

One wonders as we rush (much more slowly in this area) to digital TV
with its supposed advantages whether it is worth while to throw away a
well working technology?

It is interesting to note that aircraft in the interests of simplicity
and apparently easier to 'get through' a weak signal in an emergency,
still use analog VHF (Very high frequency) signals introduced before
and during WWII in the 108 to 128 megahertz band. Just above the 88 to
108 FM (Frequency Modulation) band; but using analog voice modulation.
They also use some other frequencies up around 220 to 400 mHz.

Old time telephone networks were built to provided very high
reliability and 'reasonable' voice quality.
Also service access was measured constantly whether via operators or
by automatic/self-dial service. The service was built to have
sufficient capacity based on one blocked call in 100 during a normal
busy hour period (that didn't included Christmas, Thanksgiving or
Mother's days, which were considered 'extreme' but often offered lower
rates. Telephone operators were measured on 'Speed of answer' within
ten seconds and extra staff were called in and added if call loads
were higher than expected. And telephone service personnel, especially
operators were acclaimed and noted for their spirit of service and
cooperation. All that cost money.

Nowadays communication services are competitive and something of a rat
race! Why should a telephone company, for example, fix the wiring
'within' your home or include a printed book listing telephone
numbers? Many of the numbers are sisiued by other 'providers' and we
probably have other 'cheap' phones made in Taiwan, or Brazil that do
not provide good voice quality standard.

Caveat Emptor or we get what we pay for etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

wrote:
[...]

VoicePulse works very well and great features for junk calls. I have
been testing MagicJack and it works well so far. Will use when I travel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 14, 2008 at 4:45:27 PM UTC-8, Patrick C wrote:
Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

I've heard AT&T Uverse and MigicJack don't play well. Gonna test on a Non-Uverse network and let you know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 06:28:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 11:09:38 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 18:57:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, November 14, 2008 at 4:45:27 PM UTC-8, Patrick C wrote:
Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

I've heard AT&T Uverse and MigicJack don't play well. Gonna test on a Non-Uverse network and let you know.

I;ve used several on Rogers Cable up here with no problem but I
switched to OOMA so I could port my legacy landline number. Still
using magivjack at the chuech with no echo problems except on the odd
cell phone - and I think those cells echo on a landline too

+1 to Ooma. I tried MJ, Ooma is much better. You have to buy the hardware
for $50, after that the service is just $5 a month in taxes, govt fees, etc.

I know it's a 12-year old thread, but I'll add my 2 cents.

I bought an Obihai, a device similar to Ooma, because once you buy it the
phone service is free via Google Voice. You can add other providers but I
just stayed with GV. No monthly costs or setup costs whatsoever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 6:57:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2008 at 4:45:27 PM UTC-8, Patrick C wrote:
Having an echo problem started a few weeks ago. Support takes me through a
set of trouble shooting procedures and then repeats the procedures to no
avail. Tried it on all of our three systems 2 Vista and a XP with no
change. Wondering if anyone else was having this problem? Was thinking of
purchasing a few more as gifts but won't with a problem like this. Think
I'll recommend Skype instead.

I've heard AT&T Uverse and MigicJack don't play well. Gonna test on a Non-Uverse network and let you know.

Ok, my update: I tried my MJ on my neighbors COX service (he also has the same model MJ that I have, but says his echo is not as pronounced as mine. He didn't notice it until I started this investigation.) and it does the same thing. Sounds good at the MJ on my end but the other end echos with approx a 1/2 sec digital delay. Connected with a USB on my computer to do a firmware upgrade and as an added bonus got the MJ Softphone installed. Tried again with a phone attached while on the USB, no change, but via the soft-phone and a PC (USB) headset it is perfect. Also when using the MagicAPP on my cell phone it's perfect. So I suspect the ATA in the MJ package. Since my unit is about 5 years old my options a Just buy a new device, or change to a different provider/service. Gotta admit at the 5 year plan MJ is priced REALLY inexpensively. So there you have it. I'll try a replacement 1st. Since it'll then be under warranty THAT one could be sent back if the problem doesn't improve.