Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stihl or echo chainsaw?

I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

Also do either brands have a means to drain the gas from the carbeurator for
storage? Most 2-stroke oil have gasoline stablizer but it is better to leave
no gas to gum up the carbeurator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:26:00 GMT, "peter" wrote Re
stihl or echo chainsaw?:

I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

No. The warranty is useless. Get the Stihl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 7:26 pm, "peter" wrote:
I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

Also do either brands have a means to drain the gas from the carbeurator for
storage? Most 2-stroke oil have gasoline stablizer but it is better to leave
no gas to gum up the carbeurator.

Get the stihl. Or if you can afford it get the Husqvarna 335XP for
under 400.00. It will outlive you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also do either brands have a means to drain the gas from the carbeurator.
Most 2-stroke oil have gasoline stablizer but it is better to leave
no gas to gum up the carbeurator

I have to disagree with you on this. I have a 20 year old Stihl
chainsaw. I have NEVER drained the gas out of it. I use the Stihl
oil that has stabilizer in it. I usually use the saw at least a
couple of time a year and ever time I go to start it, it will start
within 3 pulls. I would think draining the gas out would be a pain
and an inconvenience. Also it would dry the gaskets out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote in message
I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

Also do either brands have a means to drain the gas from the carbeurator
for storage? Most 2-stroke oil have gasoline stablizer but it is better to
leave no gas to gum up the carbeurator.

STIHL! Echo is a disposable product. If you buy a Stihl, make a provision
in your will for it, because it will last longer than you. I bought a
Husqvarna 345 for $237 online. So far, it has done everything I tried to do
with it. I think it would outlast en Echo.

There was quite a thread on this a while back when I bought mine. You can't
go wrong with a Stihl or Husqvarna. There's a couple of other good ones,
too. And they aren't that much more than a cheapie. Five to ten years down
the road is when you know if you got a good one or not, and be buying
another one. Stihl and Husky will definitely last that long unless you are
a commercial logger. BTW, they use Stihls and Huskys a lot.

What does that tell you?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"peter" wrote in message
I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

No, it means they are betting you'll lose the paperwork after the first few
months. Get the Stihl

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:

I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

Also do either brands have a means to drain the gas from the carbeurator for
storage? Most 2-stroke oil have gasoline stablizer but it is better to leave
no gas to gum up the carbeurator.

If those are you only choices, then it is no choice at all.
Stihl is the one to get.

If you want to drain the gas, open the gas cap, turn saw
upside down over the nearest poison ivy. Replace cap and
start the saw. Let it run until it dies. The gas will be
almost completely gone. The question is; Why do you want to
drain the gas out of it?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 04:58:35 GMT, Robert Allison
wrote:

peter wrote:

I'm looking for a small gas chainsaw for occasion tree trimming and maybe
emergency use (e.g. down tree after a windstorm).

Echo offers 5 year warranty, does that mean echo saw would last longer if
all else are equal?

Also do either brands have a means to drain the gas from the carbeurator for
storage? Most 2-stroke oil have gasoline stablizer but it is better to leave
no gas to gum up the carbeurator.

If those are you only choices, then it is no choice at all.
Stihl is the one to get.

If you want to drain the gas, open the gas cap, turn saw
upside down over the nearest poison ivy. Replace cap and
start the saw. Let it run until it dies. The gas will be
almost completely gone. The question is; Why do you want to
drain the gas out of it?

What good is the chainsaw if it is in for warranty when you need it,
or about to use it, it don't work?

I'd take a Stihl with no warranty.

samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
peter wrote:

[...]

samurai.- Hide quoted text -

It's apparent that not many of you have owned Echo Chainsaws! I have a
Sthil and an Echo. I have owned both for around 20 years and use every
winter for falling trees for firewood. I truthfully cannot say which
is the best, they are both super machines. Neither have had gas
drained from them and they are always ready for work! Who needs a
warranty on something that works so well as these two saws? I am sure
if there was an initial problem with either, they would be repaired,
as both have good reputations. I guess the reason I'm writing this is
to stand up for Echo because they are every bit as good as a Sthil!
Actually I enjoy using my Echo because it is lighter and will do the
same amount of work as my Sthil!
You cannot go wrong with either saw!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well consider yourself lucky. that's got to be the first echo product i've
heard of lasting over a year. And i've been in the lawn and landscape biz
for over a decade. i've seen , used, and repaired all brands. Echo has
been the biggest (short of ryobi) disposable product i've seen.

steve

wrote in message

It's apparent that not many of you have owned Echo Chainsaws! I have a
Sthil and an Echo. I have owned both for around 20 years and use every
winter for falling trees for firewood. I truthfully cannot say which
is the best, they are both super machines. Neither have had gas
drained from them and they are always ready for work! Who needs a
warranty on something that works so well as these two saws? I am sure
if there was an initial problem with either, they would be repaired,
as both have good reputations. I guess the reason I'm writing this is
to stand up for Echo because they are every bit as good as a Sthil!
Actually I enjoy using my Echo because it is lighter and will do the
same amount of work as my Sthil!
You cannot go wrong with either saw!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
peter wrote:

[...]

Been smokin some good **** again, huh?

Echo is a toy, a disposable compared to a Stihl. I've yet to see an Echo on
a commercial logging operation. Stihl and Husky ONLY.

Echo has been around for twenty years, eh?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

peter wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Sthil is my choice. My local Echo dealer quit selling it. Was told
problem with parts and frequent design change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

peter wrote:

[...]

I have no Echo experience, but I hope you will find this Stihl-centric
information useful anyway. I bought a Stihl 038AV in 1983. I used to
have an old Homelite (late 1960's vintage), but once I started using the
Stihl I traded that old Homelite away. No comparison to the Stihl. I
don't use the Stihl much currently, but from 1983 to 1992 I used it
regularly to cut from 2 to 5 cords of wood per year for home heating.
The woodcutting site was a one-hour drive from home, and was situated at
about 8,500 feet (3,300 meters) altitude. I have an 18 and 32 inch bar,
and several chains for each bar. That is one amazing saw. It has *never*
let me down. The power suffered a bit at altitude, but all saws do.

One thing I really liked about going from Homelite to Stihl was the
exhaust noise. I'm a lefty, and the Homelite muffler was on the right
side of the engine -- spewing noise into my left ear. The Stihl's
muffler is mounted in the front, discharging towards the bar & chain.
Ambidextrous. One other thing I really liked is that the Stihl did not
vibrate nearly as much as the Homelite. Don't know if engine vibration
is an issue with Echo or not, but there are all my $0.02 worth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would add Jonsered to Stihl and Husky.
I have worked on Stihl and Huskvarna and both are very good.
I had some Stihl saws in the junk pile, but they are a more populous
machine and anything can be abused!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I would add Jonsered to Stihl and Husky.
I have worked on Stihl and Huskvarna and both are very good.
I had some Stihl saws in the junk pile, but they are a more populous
machine and anything can be abused!

Is Jonsered mostly European? I HAVE heard of them, but never seen one.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I would add Jonsered to Stihl and Husky.
I have worked on Stihl and Huskvarna and both are very good.
I had some Stihl saws in the junk pile, but they are a more populous
machine and anything can be abused!

I've owned a big Jonsered for 20 years and a small Echo for 5. I like the
Echo more because its small and light...I use it whenever I can, only
pulling out the Jonsered when the Echo can't cut it. Have had great luck
with both, but should have bought the small one first as it does 95% of the
work I need to do, and carring around a big saw when you don't need it is no
fun. My advice is to buy a small one and keep the chain sharp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan K" wrote in message

wrote in message
I would add Jonsered to Stihl and Husky.
I have worked on Stihl and Huskvarna and both are very good.
I had some Stihl saws in the junk pile, but they are a more populous
machine and anything can be abused!

I've owned a big Jonsered for 20 years and a small Echo for 5. I like the
Echo more because its small and light...I use it whenever I can, only
pulling out the Jonsered when the Echo can't cut it. Have had great luck
with both, but should have bought the small one first as it does 95% of
the work I need to do, and carring around a big saw when you don't need it
is no fun. My advice is to buy a small one and keep the chain sharp.

My advice is to buy the right saw for the job and keep the chain sharp.
Actually, for most folks, a small saw is all they need for trimming. And a
lot can get by with just an electric. But if you're into serious
woodcutting, as for winter fuel, then you need a larger saw.

Steve