Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C Heating - Need bipartisan advice!

Looks like my A/C Heating unit may be toast. (1700 sq ft house, natural gas,
Austin TX)

I was already warned my a/c was on it's last leg because we had to put in
4.5lbs of Freon this summer.

I went to turn on my heater this morning and it wouldn't come on. It just
made a buzzing noise. I felt the blower motor and it was hot so I turned it
off, spun it and it came on but with a new grinding noise and water (!) came
out of the vent! So I immediately shut it off.

I'm pretty much resigned to buying a new unit and I have the money saved for
it.

Where would you start? I've read horror stories about incompetent
installers. I want a licensed professional and I don't mind paying for it.

I've seen some ads for Goodman's starting at $3750 installed. Is that too
cheap?

TIA

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

What you really need to do, is find out who's good, reliable, and reasonably
priced, in your area. I'd suggest calling friends and neighbors. If you know
other types of contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc, call them too, and
see if they know HVAC people that they like

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely. It is far more difficult to find a good contractor than to
find a good unit. When you find a good contractor they will be able to
provide you with a range of options and explain the pros and cons of
each.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
Looks like my A/C Heating unit may be toast. (1700 sq ft house, natural
gas, Austin TX)

I was already warned my a/c was on it's last leg because we had to put
in
4.5lbs of Freon this summer.

I went to turn on my heater this morning and it wouldn't come on. It
just
made a buzzing noise. I felt the blower motor and it was hot so I
turned
it off, spun it and it came on but with a new grinding noise and water
(!)
[...]

Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more than the
brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having problems now.

My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts. My wife
knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple miles north)
but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the motor. It's
still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray needs to work it's
way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

Thanks

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired54" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

It's NEVER, not appropriate to ask for any contractor's license. That being
said, in many areas getting a license can be little more than paying a fee.
Certainly the BBB may know of the most horrendous contractors, but not the
really good ones. You may want to let this NG know where you live, at the
off chance someone here knows of someone there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

"retired54" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

I put Austin TX in the OP. There are a few Austinites here.

I was asking about the installer's license.

Thanks

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 3:06*pm, "retired54" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

Olddog- Hide quoted text -

Your real estate broker, neighbors, the home inspector you had,
should know a few good contractors. There are alot of options
available these days and some very high efficency equipment, do
research before buying. www.energystar.gov should help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 3:06 pm, "retired54" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks...Good advice but the two realtors I've met here I wouldn't ask how
to boil a pot of water.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

retired54 wrote:

Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more
than the brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having
problems now.
My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts.
My wife knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple
miles north) but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the
motor. It's still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray
needs to work it's way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

If your hand will fit a wrench, you should be able to replace the motor for
a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove the old motor, take it to Graingers, say: "Gimme one like this."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
retired54 wrote:

Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more
than the brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having
problems now.
My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts.
My wife knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple
miles north) but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the
motor. It's still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray
needs to work it's way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

If your hand will fit a wrench, you should be able to replace the motor
for a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove the old motor, take it to Graingers, say: "Gimme one like this."

The motor looks like it *could* be easily replaced. I was wondering how it
is attached to the fan and do I need to remove the fan housing?

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired54" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"retired54" wrote in message

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I was momentarily confused by your other identity. I was referring to
the installer's license

Posted to alt.home.repair

"retired54" wrote in message
news

"ransley" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 3:06 pm, "retired54" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

ster.com...

RBM wrote:

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, while I personally get lots of work through local brokers, most
real estate people would be the last ones I'd ask, in fact lots of brokers
have tried to establish preferred contractor's lists, for which contractors
pay to be on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

olddog wrote:
[...]

Goodman, Armstrong and Janitrol look like clones to
me and are what I would call value priced contractor
grade units. Another brand in the same category is
Ducane. I've installed or repaired them all and the
units are good for the price. If installed properly
and maintained, will last for years. Trane, Carrier,
American Standard and Lennox are considered high end
units. American Standard an Trane are like Chevrolet
and GMC, almost identical, same parent company. If
you get the lower priced units, they'll work just
fine and I'd ask the installer to add an anti short
cycle timer or install a digital thermostat that has
one built in. This will keep the compressor from
slamming on and off with power blinks or from rapid
cycling due to someone playing with the thermostat.
The high end units will usually have that and all
sorts of other safeties built in.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

retired54 wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
retired54 wrote:
[...]

If you can disconnect the wires and mark them,
the whole squirrel cage blower assembly can be
taken out by removing a couple of sheet metal
screws or hex nuts then sliding the blower out
of the furnace. Afterwards, the motor can be
removed from the housing. Around here most of
us take the whole thing to one of the local
electric motor shops to get the motor changed
out, tested and the squirrel cage wheel and
blower housing sandblasted clean.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

At a moment like this, I open the phone book. Call the companies with the
smallest ads. And see which ones talk straight, and make sense when they
speak. Call three of them over, for an estimate. And choose the one that is
polite, easygoing, and doesn't try to push you or rush you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"retired54" wrote in message

My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts. My wife
knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple miles north)
but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the motor. It's
still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray needs to work it's
way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

Thanks

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

What does he do about the water coming from the vents?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

If your hand will fit a wrench, you should be able to replace the motor for
a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove the old motor, take it to Graingers, say: "Gimme one like this."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 2:01*pm, "olddog" wrote:
[...]

The water might be a clogged AC drain, you need a service and to learn
how it all works. Then shop for instalers and equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 3:01*pm, "olddog" wrote:
[...]

my hvac system just went out this summer. the most important thing you
can do is find a good installer with knowledge, ask
friends,bosses,etc. 2nd, is to find a matching system that you like. I
had a 30 year old singer die, and decided to do the whole thing.
research,research,research. down to model numbers when they deliver
the unit and plop it down in the driveway go out and get the serial
numbers off of the box. I did and put them stickers on the unit after
install

I ended up going with a carrier infinity model 80,000btu all the way
with a 3.5 ton a/c. before I was using a 1 ton. remember things are
getting cooler anymore (global warming) so go larger for the a/c unit.
the digital controls and upgrades are awesome and get a furance with
hepa filter. this is for a 2400sqft home.

I did so much research I ****ed off the installer guy by being a know
it all. they did a awesome install job. I dropped close to 7 grand on
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 20:01:10 GMT, "olddog" wrote:

[...]

Goodman is nothing but a piece of ****. They have the best warranty
out there because you will need it. Run as fast as you can from anyone
that suggests Goodman/Amana! I am the real ftwhd and I approve this
message.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 2:18*am, flir67 wrote:
On Nov 8, 3:01*pm, "olddog" wrote:

[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

What did the load calculation state you needed. You didnt research
enough, you had a 1 ton AC before and now have 3.5 ton AC, if that 1
ton cooled your home at all decently you have just left yourself with
a future of an uncomfortable home in summer, it will be very humid and
clammy. ACs should be sized to run nearly 100% on your hottest day,
humidity removal all summer cant be achieved on an oversized unit. My
AC is oversized and it sucks so bad I run 2-Two dehumidifiers, I
insulated after the instal so it was my mistake. If you read and
learned you would of had a load calculation done and followed what it
said on sizing. Global warming, think insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:06:58 GMT, "retired54" wrote:

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

Well duh!!! Of course it's appropriate you tard.

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the motor. It's
still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray needs to work it's
way in. Sure heated the house quickly!.

You're going to burn your house down you damn idiot. I hope your
insurance premium is paid up. I am the real ftwhd and I approve this
message

Thanks

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

ftwhd wrote in message ...
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 21:06:58 GMT, "retired54" wrote:

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

Well duh!!! Of course it's appropriate you tard.

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the motor.
It's
still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray needs to work
it's
way in. Sure heated the house quickly!.

You're going to burn your house down you damn idiot. I hope your
insurance premium is paid up. I am the real ftwhd and I approve this
message

Thanks

Olddog

What is it about HVAC that brings the troll out?

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

ftwhd wrote in message ...
[...]

Get back under your bridge pin-head.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 2:18 am, flir67 wrote:
On Nov 8, 3:01 pm, "olddog" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, sounds like good advice.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"olddog" wrote in message
[...]

Well I'm going replace the motor and see how long this thing is going to
last.

Thanks everyone (except the troll)

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
retired54 wrote:

Yes..That's what I've heard. I've read the installer matters more
than the brand of the unit. I have a feeling that's why I'm having
problems now.
My main problem is I'm new here and I don't have very many contacts.
My wife knows one contractor's wife that lives in Georgetown (couple
miles north) but I still don't know how to check them out. The BBB?

Do you think it's appropriate to ask to see the installer's license?

I got the heater running and I sprayed some contact spray in the
motor. It's still making a grinding noise but maybe the contact spray
needs to work it's way in. Sure heated the house quickly!

If your hand will fit a wrench, you should be able to replace the motor
for a couple of hundred dollars.

Remove the old motor, take it to Graingers, say: "Gimme one like this."

I took it down to Granger and they said they don't stock it. I called
another place and they wanted $218 to order it. I sprayed some more contact
spray in it and put the old one back in. :-)

I have a gas fireplace and a good space heater if we have a bad freeze or
something but I live in Austin where it only gets real cold couple of days a
year. Ive been told some years it never freezes.

Olddog

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 16:55:35 GMT, "retired54" wrote:

ing to
last.

Thanks everyone (except the troll)

Olddog

Now that you called me a troll I hope that you do burn your house
down. Idiot. I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 9:32*am, ransley wrote:
On Nov 10, 2:18*am, flir67 wrote:

On Nov 8, 3:01*pm, "olddog" wrote:

[...]

the old system was unsized. the new system is working fine, humity is
about 50% on a 90 degree day.....sorry for the misinterpretation of
what I typed.

Any advice on under-floor heating (UFH)? canadrian UK diy 4 November 16th 06 10:41 PM
Central heating advice Wordy UK diy 4 January 7th 05 08:19 AM
Undertile Heating Advice Noah UK diy 1 October 31st 04 06:53 AM
Undertile Heating advice please Noah UK diy 1 October 29th 04 09:38 PM
Underfloor Heating Advice jon UK diy 6 January 26th 04 12:13 PM